• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Playing the Contrarian in a Time of Panic

Selling guns sucks, unless they completely meet the "I will never shoot gun X ever again and its literally taking up space in my safe" business. Like when I put my Seecamp .32 on consignment I was basically like "f*** that thing, never again" but there are very
few guns I felt that way about. Years ago due to $$$ problems I had to sell stuff I didnt want to sell. And that just sucks. Even if
you make 200% on it, it still sucks to HAVE to sell something. (and I did, on a few occasions).

-Mike

I've never sold a gun under duress. So no regrets. I also almost always buy them right. Usually either like new or unfired from a person who bought them and didn't shoot them. It usually takes me a few years to figure out I'm never going to shoot it and I don't find it fascinating in any way. So by then, I can usually sell it for a profit.

Only if 1) I don't shoot it. 2) I don't think its interesting or cool, do I sell it.

Unless there is a panic. Then I sell if 1) prices for that specific firearm get ridiculous. 2) I'm confident it will still be buyable when reason returns to the gun marketplace.

The guns I mentioned above. I sold the AK because it was not accurate. I have no use for inaccurate rifles. If there is a flyer, I want to know it was me, not the gun. The SCAR always felt awkward. The P2000 I intended to replace. And I did. For $275.

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I sold a number of pre-bans and desirable guns right after Sandy Hook. I made me and Carl a good chunk of change.

No, I did not gouge. I actually priced everything UNDER what the going rate was. I wasn't looking to make a ton - just turn this around fast so I wasn't driving to Wooo-burn 48 different times to pick up a check. All was gone in days, at best. Hell, they sold one of my handguns as I was packing up my stuff. Carl wanted to see if I wanted to back out and private sale. He may charge more for some stuff and stuff, but he attempted to do me a solid on that one when he didn't have to.

I got nothing scary or anything right now that I'd be willing to part with. I've considered putting up some guns anyhoo. Non-Glock of course. ROFL!

................ Like when I put my Seecamp .32 on consignment I was basically like "f*** that thing,

-Mikep

my Seecamp, LOL
too embarrassed to try & sell it
because anyone could prob talk me down to a ridiculous price😳
i said frig it, it’s stainless
it now resides in my tackle box

some big bass that tries to attack me, will be mighty surprised
when I WOUND him with a 32 cal[rofl]

my Seecamp, LOL
too embarrassed to try & sell it
because anyone could prob talk me down to a ridiculous price😳
i said frig it, it’s stainless
it now resides in my tackle box

some big bass that tries to attack me, will be mighty surprised
when I WOUND him with a 32 cal[rofl]

When FS opens back up clean it up and dump it off as a consignment, it'll be gone in a week or two. No embarrassment required. There's a whole
cauldron of weirdos that love that nice looking, but otherwise very horrible little gun.

-Mike

Hmm. I'm that wierdo. I sold my Seecamp 32 about 10 years ago and have regretted it since.
Think of it as a pocket carry barbeque gun.

Actually I got mine back in 1990 , back when it actually was the best small gun you could buy. With the only approved ammo, Winchester Silvertips in it, the thing ran flawlessly. The trigger was as smooth as glass.

The problem began back in ~2007 when the KelTec P3AT came out. It was garbage but it showed what a plastic framed little .380 with a proper Browning tilting barrel action could be.

18 months or so later, Ruger ripped off the KelTec but with typical Ruger pragmatic quality.
I sold the Seecamp to buy a LCP in ~2008.

The Ruger was chambered in a round that had 2x as much power, it was not finicky about ammo and it shot acceptably. And it was lighter, if not smaller than the Seecamp.

But it was plastic. I've since upgraded to the Kahr P380, the best little pocket gun you can buy, once you figure out what it likes to run on (Fiocci with Hornady XTP bullet for me)

TheKahr is nearly assmall as the Seecamp, lighter, better shooting, just wonderful.

Its also cheaper.

Back in 1990 I paid $350 for mine. Retail was $450. I got mine used from a friend of a friend. Carried much, but never shot. I blew the lint out of it, cleaned it up, polished it to a high shine on my 3/4 hp buffing wheel and carried it for almost 20 years.

Even when i carried something else, I always had the seecamp.

Send me a PM. I'll give you something for it.

I bought my LWS-32 Seecamp back when Larry was still building them and there was a long wait... Love it!

if I remember right, that slide bit the web of my thumb a few times🤬

but it served its purpose @ the time, pocket holster
most concealable weapon with comfort doing anything

hands a little swollen, arthritic......there is no way I could use it now
i prob wouldn’t sell, hate to reduce the count, for any reason[mg]

Does anyone have an opinion on that mosquito vs sw 380 body guard yes THOSE THINGS
I hate that I'm about to say this...
The BG380 is the less bad of the two guns. It has a terrible, needlessly heavy, DAO trigger. It's tiny and annoying to control. But it'll go bang and cycle like a real firearm.

For not a lot more, one can get a Shield 380 EZ. It's bigger than the BG with a better trigger, making it easier to control. It's easier to rack. It's all around a nicer firearm.

Does anyone have an opinion on that mosquito vs sw 380 body guard yes THOSE THINGS
Hate them both.
Had a mosquito, glad it's gone. Borrowed a friends BG because I wanted one maybe, hated that.
I did end up with a sig 238, which I like. After I broke it in, disassembled it and gave everything a lite polish. Never malfunctioned, but the trigger wasn't great. It's fine now.

I hate that I'm about to say this...
The BG380 is the less bad of the two guns. It has a terrible, needlessly heavy, DAO trigger. It's tiny and annoying to control. But it'll go bang and cycle like a real firearm.

For not a lot more, one can get a Shield 380 EZ. It's bigger than the BG with a better trigger, making it easier to control. It's easier to rack. It's all around a nicer firearm.
Not familiar with any .380 other than my Bersa Thunder Combat. I like it because it has the Dao/Sao followup like my Beretta 92. Anyone have an opinion on this one?

I bought my LWS-32 Seecamp back when Larry was still building them and there was a long wait... Love it!

The amazing thing is when i got rid of mine I got most of my money back, that doesn't happen often! The lack of supply kept the prices high.

The amazing thing is when i got rid of mine I got most of my money back, that doesn't happen often! The lack of supply kept the prices high.
And the lack of variety of BUGs at the time. Police were the number one consumer of the Seecamps in those days...
Rohrbaugh's were a close second. And then the Keltec P32 and 3AT starting showing up.

1586214067926.png

Last edited:
The thing to remember is that before the P3AT, you had the Seecamp and the Beretta Bobcat.
Sure some Seecamp knockoffs were around at the end.

But for the majority of the time the Seecamp 32 was out, there was nothing that even remotely came close.

25189.jpg

Yep, the Bobcat in .25auto.
Never owned or fired one. Any good?

I've had a bunch of compact pistols. I haven't owned a BG380, since the trigger feels like a staple gun and online reviews still talk about mechanical failures. Quick thoughts:

Sig P238: Good shooting/range gun, heavy for what it is, seems well made but had some specific design issues that didn't add up for me. I see the prices on these have come down massively on the used market.

Smith J-frame .38: Not fancy but it works every time. Lots of grip options.

Seecamp .32: I've had two and it's an overrated, overpriced, outdated gun that isn't made nearly as well as people think. The owner's community is a hypocritical circlejerk.

Kel-Tec P32: Most concealable gun you can get, but it's also only slightly smaller and lighter than most compact .380s. Feels a little dodgy but mine always went bang.

Taurus TCP .380: Smooth, light trigger, softshooting, well made, full featured. I really liked mine. Grip is thicker than competitors--this may be a plus or minus, depending.

Ruger LCP Custom .380: Still have this one. Firm, short trigger, thin but solid frame, ridiculous meme sights. For most people I'd say just get the Gen 2 normal LCP but I had a shot at a cheap Custom and I'm a special snowflake.

Kel-Tec P32: Most concealable gun you can get, but it's also only slightly smaller and lighter than most compact .380s. Feels a little dodgy but mine always went bang.
Isnt the P32 like 7oz? Thats a pretty good bit lighter than most .380s. I dont have any first hand experience with one but id definitely buy it if i could find one for close to msrp.

Back
Top Bottom