Please advise.

PWM

So.. fortunately the other day at coin collectors I found a mint, unfired NIB HK SP89. My ~7 year search is over, and I quickly have remedied this 'unfired' business ;)

Next problem, I have been reading that I cannot add a foregrip or stock to this firearm. Great, I get it. Do a form 1 with your local PD and move on. The officer at my PD was not that helpful. He told me to send my request to the AG's office.... Anyhow...

I do not have any objection to setting up a trust and getting it registered as SBR that way, are there any pitfalls I may be walking into?

Thanks!

If you have no idea what you are doing with regard to a trust, stop now. Get yourself a firearm lawyer who specializes in them and do it that way. It takes too little to make a trust invalid, it needs to be perfect, no exceptions. Took me over 4 months and 2 lawyers to get mine perfect. Then I did the Form 1 and was all set.

Doing this with an attorney is a given, I would never consider it any other way. So, which attorney is the person to call for this sort of thing?

Also, does a trust make the firearm more difficult to transfer in the future?

Doing this with an attorney is a given, I would never consider it any other way. So, which attorney is the person to call for this sort of thing?

Also, does a trust make the firearm more difficult to transfer in the future?

Start with CrossX on the forum.

As for transferring, not anymore difficult than transferring from a private owner. Just put the trust name as the transfer name instead of the private name.

There really isn't much to a revocable living trust, it's pretty simple. And shoot you move to a town that the chief will sign off on Form 1's and 4's, you can always transfer it out of the trust and to yourself, for another $200.

Oh, that is really easy. Much better than dealing with my PD. How long (on average, of course) does the form 1 take to come back from BATFE?

So.. fortunately the other day at coin collectors I found a mint, unfired NIB HK SP89. My ~7 year search is over, and I quickly have remedied this 'unfired' business ;)

Next problem, I have been reading that I cannot add a foregrip or stock to this firearm. Great, I get it. Do a form 1 with your local PD and move on. The officer at my PD was not that helpful. He told me to send my request to the AG's office.... Anyhow...

I do not have any objection to setting up a trust and getting it registered as SBR that way, are there any pitfalls I may be walking into?

Thanks!

Not to skip all the Trust stuff mentioned above, but I want to go back to your original post. The way i read your post, I suspect you should familiarize a little better with the whole workings of NFA. Specificly where you mention "Do a form 1 with your local PD and move on. The officer at my PD was not that helpful."
See you don't "do a form 1 with your local PD", YOU do a form1, you may use the chief at your local PD as your CLEO and you may ask the local PD to print you, but you have other options for both. So just make sure you fully understand what you are doing, before you "do" anything...

Finnally, I am not in anyway trying to diswade you from going the trust route (I have NFA as an individual, trust, and corporation) In fact I think trusts are great for SBR's and such, keeps you "under the radar" and even if "someone" decides your trust is not valid for some legal technicality, all you gotta do is "de-SBR" your SBR...

Fair enough. That is reassuring in regards to the trust. Although, I was wondering is there anyone trustworthy to do the engraving locally?

Furthermore WHEN I move out of MA (~18mo?) to a free state.. how terrible will it look to have to re-engrave it? Am I better off getting a new bbl to engrave, and then another when I move?

Fair enough. That is reassuring in regards to the trust. Although, I was wondering is there anyone trustworthy to do the engraving locally?

Furthermore WHEN I move out of MA (~18mo?) to a free state.. how terrible will it look to have to re-engrave it? Am I better off getting a new bbl to engrave, and then another when I move?

Again seriously look into NFA more, there is no need to re-engrave when you move...you got me confused on where you are coming with that one....

You don't engrave the barrel. You engrave what is considered to be the frame/receiver with the serial number on it. As far as doing the engraving locally, there are very few shops around that deal with that sort of stuff. Autoburst is one.

A forward grip on an sp89 would be a $5 stamp, register as AOW.
Fwd grip and stock is a SBR 200 stamp.

Engraving needs to be done on the receiver, not the bbl. Make sure you get somebody you trust to do this as bad engraving on a gun like that really could destroy the gun (cosmetically)..

OR on the flip side, if you buy a reg sear, then you can put all of these goodies on w/o registering the gun on it's own. (obviously is sear is removed all nfa parts need to be removed)..

You don't engrave the barrel. You engrave what is considered to be the frame/receiver with the serial number on it.

Engraving needs to be done on the receiver, not the bbl. Make sure you get somebody you trust to do this as bad engraving on a gun like that really could destroy the gun (cosmetically)..

The rules allow the engraving of the makers name and location on the receiver or barrel. 27 CFR 178

Making any NFA item on a Form 1 is $200. Only the transfer of an AOW is at the cheaper $5 rate.

--EasyD

Incorrect. Making of AOW is $200 stamp but transfer of one is $5. Making & transfer of any other NFA item are both $200.

Back
Top Bottom