• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please do NOT list 'All Lawful Purposes'

This is what I told my friend when he had the same issue:
"to be able to protect myself and loved ones at any time or place, lawfully. And to enjoy target shooting, competition, hunting and the collection of firearms."

I just wrote "All Lawful Purposes" on my renewal application yesterday...no one seemed to care at my local PD.

How about asking for references (which may or may not be needed in your town)....probably could have left them empty but I put my mom and wife. I am pretty confident at least one of them will vouch for me ;-)

My town has similar language in the application - can't say "All lawful purposes". So I wrote "all lawful purposes - renewal" and got my unrestricted (previous LTC was from Boston so this was my first application in my new town).

"I plead the fif."

hqdefault.jpg

Hi! I have since moved out of state (so I dont keep up with things as much), but I got an email from a friend of mine who is applying for an in-state LTC. He mentioned his application says "Please do NOT list 'All Lawful Purposes'" under the reason for issuance section.

I took a look at the resident LTC application hosted on the state's website and there is no mention of that there. I assume this is a locality thing?

Its technically a "green" town, so not even sure what to tell him.
Definitely a local thing. My towns licensing officer TOLD me to write all lawful purposes on mine.

Definitely a local thing. My towns licensing officer TOLD me to write all lawful purposes on mine.
I wrote something like "I will soon inherit a collection of guns, and if I ever felt the need to carry one for self protection, I would like to do so lawfully". The licensing officer typed "ALP" into the computer.

People in this state are buying into the narrative that it’s a great idea to let 351 local cops eyeball applicants as to suitability because thay have a handle on the donut shop talk about how someone may be not so much a Boy Scout even though they have a zero arrest or conviction record.

But how dare a cop use the very same “instincts “ to do a stop and frisk on a flat brimmed bulls hat pants down wearer

Hanging on the same corner every day ?

I was told the same thing when I first applied for an LTC. I was also told that it was their policy to ONLY issue LTC A unrestricted even if you applied for a LTC B.

I was told the same thing when I first applied for an LTC. I was also told that it was their policy to ONLY issue LTC A unrestricted even if you applied for a LTC B.
Doubtless the rationale is this:
if you're not suitable to concealed carry a gun with large cap mags,
you're not suitable to own a gun, period.
The contrapositive follows...

I put down “all lawful purposes - please see attachment X.”

That attachment went into detail and probably answered any questions that could have been asked. I think it answered a lot of questions on the front side, and I did receive my permit.

Last edited:
Doubtless the rationale is this:
if you're not suitable to concealed carry a gun with large cap mags,
you're not suitable to own a gun, period.
The contrapositive follows...

Seems like sound rationale to me. All or nothing.

The reason for "all lawful purposes " was because "for protection of life and property" had fallen out of favor since shooting to protect property was questionable.

Even "protection of life" had fallen out of favor. My MA CCW was "protection of life" but that was a long time ago (1980's)

There were also people with "target and hunting" licenses who argued that the license did not say it was LIMITED TO target and hunting and would CCW on what was intended to be a non carry license.

Now some of this is now irrelevant due to revisions in the law (Class B license language spells out what you can't do with clarity), but if say you were a armored car driver, and you listed "employment" on your license, and you were carrying while you were having dinner with your family at the local Popeye's, and some punk kid points a gun at your family... and you take him out in what would be considered a "good shoot", but a Martha Coakley type notices your license was issued for employment, and you were not at work.... she would argue you were not licensed for CCW on non company time, and hang you.

THAT is why you use "for all lawful purposes"

Last edited:
There were also people with "target and hunting" licenses who argued that the license did not say it was LIMITED TO target and hunting and would CCW on what was intended to be a non carry license.

This is how I interpreted it back in the day, the license said License to Carry Firearms (LTC). Reason for issuing was Target and Hunting. Nothing said that the license was limited because of the reason it was issued. There were no restrictions listed on it, they were all the same except for reason for issuing. After a year I had it changed to protection of life and property by the chief. Otherwise, I always did my renewals as protection of life and property, then had to switch to protection of life. Then had to change to All Lawful Purposes.

I just called my PD to ask about my renewal as I'm up in June, they said you have to wait until 3 months before expiration to renew. I said 5 years ago it took 7 months, they said today it's taking no longer than 3. So we will see.

I wrote something like "I will soon inherit a collection of guns, and if I ever felt the need to carry one for self protection, I would like to do so lawfully". The licensing officer typed "ALP" into the computer.

Licensing officer rolled his eyes and thought " f***in lawyers... " typed ALP. [laugh]

When I got my LTC the lady at the PD who does the applications asked me all the vital data such as DOB and yes or no to being a criminal etc. She printed out the form and gave it to me to sign. I examined it carefully and noticed they she had entered "all lawful purposes" in the reason field. Never even asked the question.

Back
Top Bottom