Please school me on 12 gauge ammo.

hillman

NES Member
I am picking up a Remington 870 this weekend in 12 gauge but know nothing about ammo for it. Could someone please tell me what I should be looking for for the following:

Cheap range ammo
Home Defense ammo
Hunting (I am not planning on hunting with this but would like to have some ammo just in case the situation ever arises, both for deer sized game and turkey/duck)
General all purpose ammo that I can stockpile

Normally, my pistols would be used first for home defense, but again, I want the option.

Also, where am I most likely to find such ammo? Walmart, Dick's, Cabelas?

Thank you very much.

There is the matter of chokes to consider as well.

There is so many combinations of shot sizes to chokes that it's pretty much up to you to pattern out and decide for yourself what works best in the gun.

Generally you'd want a mod to imp cylinder for upland birds and a little tighter for waterfowl with #2-6 depending on the size of the bird and whether you are using metals other than lead. With steel shot, you'd want to go two sizes up.

Mod to Full for trap and you open that up more for skeet.

Larger shot like buckshot and slugs you's want a cylinder bore (open).

Best is to get a hold of a bunch and try it out at different yardage and see what patterns best for the situation you are in.

12G ammo can be found most anywhere.

1) Cheap range ammo. Federal, Winchester, or Remington bulk-pack (also called "hundo-pack") Field/Target loads. Generally 2 3/4" #7.5 or #8 bird shot. Winchester also sells bulk-pack #6's

2) HD Ammo. I use Remington Express 12ga buckshot, usually in 2 3/4" 9-pellet 00, but if I see 3" and/or 000 on sale, I'll buy it.

3) For hunting with a smoothbore, you'll want rifled slugs. If you have a rifled barrel, you'll want sabot slugs. Turkey and duck, IDK.

4) I would (and do) stockpile #6/"heavy game" birdshot, 00/000 buck, and rifled slugs.

There isn't really any one shotgun load that will do everyting you could possibly want it to. Buck sucks for bird/small game hunting, and bird sucks for killing people, and I'd pay to see a regular person wingshoot with slugs.

Nah, rock salt.

I actually prefer the hollow steel shot, myself. Or, if all else fails, dimes.

OP, don't bother putting multiple ammunition types in the tube at once. If you want to have both buck and slugs available, fill the tube with buck, and carry some slugs on a side saddle, then learn how to switch to a slug when you need one.

I actually prefer the hollow steel shot, myself. Or, if all else fails, dimes.

OP, don't bother putting multiple ammunition types in the tube at once. If you want to have both buck and slugs available, fill the tube with buck, and carry some slugs on a side saddle, then learn how to switch to a slug when you need one.

Solid.

assumeing you have purchased the 870 express it comes with a modified choke modified can be used with any ammo even the sabot BUT will not be the best for all ammo. Sabot need rifled barrel to perform you are wasteing money shooting them with out a rifled barrel.
there is really no cheap slug or hunting ammo(dicks has sales on the reminton sluggsters runs about 1.00 shot after rebates)
clay target rounds walmart winchester/remington/federal 4 packs about 22.00
dicks was or is haveing a buy 1 nest half off sale.

Originally Posted by atmay

^^^ ditto

Last edited:
For HD type ammo I am a fan of the Winchester Ranger low recoil rounds. I have a bunch of the 1 oz slugs and 9 pellet buckshot for my 870. It's set up with an 18 1/2 inch cylinder bore barrel. The buckshot patterns nicely out to 15 yards or so and the slugs are quite accurate out to 50 yards. Another plus is it's easy on the shoulder.

In Black Ops there is a shotgun that sets people on fire. Where do I get that ammo? Just kidding. No I'm not.

Thanks for the answers. The Winchester low recoil stuff sounds great, I'll look around and see if I can find some.

[video=youtube_share;RP4FjODPDFA]http://youtu.be/RP4FjODPDFA?t=4m24s[/video]
Yea, it'll set you on fire. Skip to 4:20

Back
Top Bottom