• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plumber's Lead (300 lbs worth)

Anybody looking for Plumber's Lead?

I'm doing a job for a retired plumber, old-timer, and he's got 300 pounds of lead ingot he's talking about taking to the recycle center.

These look like they're cast as two 5 lb (?) round medallions with a lead handle.

He isn't giving it away, but he was going to let it go for scrap value.

I have no idea what the recycling center pays, but generally it isn't that much.

If you're interested, let me know.

I guess (based on a bit of research) Plumber's Lead is pure, soft lead--so a smelter would have a known starting point, before adding a chosen percentage of tin/antimony/whatever.

I am the poster in the wanted section, I have a line on a keel made of lead from a sailboat, (free just have to take the boat lol ) and getting to dover would be a hike . but yea around .45 cents is doable

I am the poster in the wanted section, I have a line on a keel made of lead from a sailboat, (free just have to take the boat lol ) and getting to dover would be a hike . but yea around .45 cents is doable
this can be a bigger challenge than a nice ride to Dover with a stop for a nice lunch or some xmas shopping. keel lead can be anything. I needed a chain saw to cut my lead out of the keel and chop up the boat. in the end not worth it really.
I did salvage a lot of good parts from the sail boat. fortunately I was able to scrap the keel lead when prices went through the roof back in 2006...

Anybody looking for Plumber's Lead?

I'm doing a job for a retired plumber, old-timer, and he's got 300 pounds of lead ingot he's talking about taking to the recycle center.

These look like they're cast as two 5 lb (?) round medallions with a lead handle.

He isn't giving it away, but he was going to let it go for scrap value.

I have no idea what the recycling center pays, but generally it isn't that much.

If you're interested, let me know.

are there any foundery marks on the lead....what about the lead pot? If this is virgin lead from foundery you should be able to get more than scrap price.
Then again how long ago did he retire? If I had the time and money I would help get rid of it. If it has foundery stamps on it you could probably get over 1$ pound on castboolits.com up to 75lbs in USPS flat rate box.

are there any foundery marks on the lead....what about the lead pot? If this is virgin lead from foundery you should be able to get more than scrap price.
Then again how long ago did he retire? If I had the time and money I would help get rid of it. If it has foundery stamps on it you could probably get over 1$ pound on castboolits.com up to 75lbs in USPS flat rate box.

I'll take a closer look at it for proof marks. As I said, each piece consists of two round medallion-style ingots, cast with a built-in carry handle.

Sheesh, I wish my lead prices were that low. I'm paying .70/lb here in CT

Local scraper here pays .35lb for lead thats just lead nothing else attached or in it ( like wheel weights that have the steel clip gives scrap price which i think is 13 cents lb) If you go and try to buy lead from him its .75/lb. You can find smelted wheel weights from "captain" on cast bioolits for 1$/lb shipped last I looked(been a while). Known alloy will get close to retail.

i sold some old plumbers lead along with a few pots, spoons and fishing sinker molds not too long ago on craigslist...also had a couple old burners that were junk...could always put an ad on craigslist for him with his phone number...it will run for a week before the ad needs to be renewed or it expires

5# lead ingot (virgin lead) at my supply house currently $12.21 plus tax as a FYI

5# lead ingot (virgin lead) at my supply house currently $12.21 plus tax as a FYI

I left it in his court--told him to let me know what he'd want for it, because I've got guys willing, he told nme he'd like to do some research on the price.

If he can sell it to a plumber for half of retail, more power to him--but I'll let you guys know if he just wants if gone.

I left it in his court--told him to let me know what he'd want for it, because I've got guys willing, he told nme he'd like to do some research on the price.

If he can sell it to a plumber for half of retail, more power to him--but I'll let you guys know if he just wants if gone.

If he has any older hand tools he wants to part with, drop me a PM. I am always looking for the stuff I can no longer buy used for repairs etc. Plus caulking irons, mechanical test plugs and other stuff that if bought today would be Chinese made crap.

Local scraper here pays .35lb for lead thats just lead nothing else attached or in it ( like wheel weights that have the steel clip gives scrap price which i think is 13 cents lb) If you go and try to buy lead from him its .75/lb. You can find smelted wheel weights from "captain" on cast bioolits for 1$/lb shipped last I looked(been a while). Known alloy will get close to retail.

I'll have to check him out, that's a pretty fair price.

Back
Top Bottom