• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plymouth, MA. Yes, that is correct! October 6 & 7

I got there about noon, milled around for about an hour saw a few decent prices on some 3rd gen smiths, but nothing great for the condition they were in, picked up some 9mm ammo, and left. If i have any money for the next show I may pop in.

I got there with a friend at about quarter to ten yesterday. We parked way down the street in fenced in lot with some broken-down looking building. A bit of a walk but I don't mind. We got right in; no line.

I'm not the only one who thought it was a little hot in there huh? Fred told me last night they were supposed to turn on the a/c system but never did. Thanks again for the ammo by the way Fred!

I bought a small amount of random pistol ammo, a lockable soft case with "Colt" embroidered on it, a few small AR and 1911 parts and a few rifle magazines. I ended up selling one of the 3 pistols I brought with me to a dealer so I left the show with more money than I came in with. That's a first for me.

A friend that I met up with there bought 3 guns from one dealer in a package deal. He's still fairly new to firearms so I guarantee you he was fondling those all last night! [laugh]

All in all it was worth the short drive from the Cape. I'm sure I'll hit the December show as well.

Just got home from the show. It was OK. Was nice to see some different vendors then the same ones that are always in Marlboro. I noticed a little bit of a pricing difference from the new vendors then the ones that are at most of the shows. Seems the new ones were either very high or surprisingly competitively priced. Ran into a group of NESers and chatted for a bit. Always good to run into people you haven't seen in a while.

I had a a few things in mind as I was driving there, but ran into a guy selling a very nice S&W 686 w/ an un-fluted cylinder and a 3" bbl. Never seen one like that before. Dealer wanted $800 for it and I couldn't talk him down any. Had to pass. That's to much. Didn't pay that much for my un-fluted 629s. Now I have something else on my list.

My 1st show. Was excited to get in and see what it was about. Got there before 8:30 and parking was fine, got in line with about 25-30 people at 8:55, parking was filling up, had a coupon and paid the $10. Left the show by 10:30, parking was all the way down the street. Like others said, no deals.
I appreciate and respect what seems like a lot of work for a vendor to get out to a show, but don't understand why they jack the prices up. Will go to the next one, hope it’s better.

I am browsing a table of rifles by myself- the parties I arrived with have sauntered off. I am moving slowly down the table, nothing in particular is catching my eye.
Gentleman Proprietor: Hi! Are you looking for something in a small caliber today?
Me: (Actually laughing). Sorry, I had my new 20 mm delivered last night....you have totally got the wrong girl.
GP: (eyes bugging). What the **** are you going to shoot with that?! A freaking tank?!
Me: (moving away from his table) Good plan!

Nicole, perhaps we should start calling you "Tank Girl". [laugh]

I went yesteryday with my dad (1st show for us). Had some fun, he was looking for an upper but the ones we saw he thought were just a little too high. I myself picked up a sr9c, I had been looking for awhile and it was always sold out, saw one for $479 asked the guy if he was firm and he told me $455 (I couldn't wait anymore for 4seasons, I must have bad luck because they were always out of the all black ones). So far I love the way the sr9c feels and cant wait to shoot it tomorrow. I had fun and would definitely go again. My father got some jerky and it is really good too. All in all it was fun seeing a large amount of gun owners in one area, as well as get to know some dealers that are on the other side of the state.

Best thing about this show today was I COULD MOVE. Plenty of room to browse, most vendors seemed happy to be there and talkative. Had one slight issue when I checked a price of a bag with my phones bar code reader. Sorry but not paying $30 over MSRP just because I can get it today. She even went on to say that they were just trying to make a buck and run a business... Yeah, I was just trying to save a buck...

Ended up with a Fenix PD32 for $60, Nite-Ize holster $15, a few stickers, batteries, and a hot dog. Had a good time and will return for the December show! [grin]

A few more thoughts on the show yesterday.
I said there was a lot of ammo and there was - but I don't remember seeing much .22
I have never been to a large show like this and was surprised that no one was asking if anyone was carrying.
I
also thought prices were kind of high on new and used guns. I guess I was looking for bargains and I didn't see any.
I am going to have to get an NES hat.

Wow, I went today (Sunday). They had a table setup at the ticket collection area - anyone that was carrying had to turn over all the ammo to the attendant & they put tie-wraps to disable the actions of the pistols & revolvers.

What a difference a day makes...

Wow, I went today (Sunday). They had a table setup at the ticket collection area - anyone that was carrying had to turn over all the ammo to the attendant & they put tie-wraps to disable the actions of the pistols & revolvers.

Huh? There was one there on Saturday, too. Same as every other gun show I've been to.

We was got there about 1:30 Saturday and no one asked if we were carrying. I didn't see any signs directing people to an unloading table and I didn't see one and I was expecting something. And no we were not carrying.

We was got there about 1:30 Saturday and no one asked if we were carrying. I didn't see any signs directing people to an unloading table and I didn't see one and I was expecting something. And no we were not carrying.

How did you miss it? It was right across from the guy taking tickets!

The standard reply to the "Do you have any firearms" question is no! Concealed means concealed.

While this is true, to be complete you should inform marvelshooter that if he happens to be discovered carrying with ammo, at the least he'll be asked to leave. If the police get involved, it's likely his his issuing authority will be notified. Remember, chiefs have almost unfettered discretion in issuing and revoking LTCs.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you miss it? It was right across from the guy taking tickets!

It was, but they weren't all that assertive about asking. It was more like we were supposed to know that we should go there if we were carrying.

My best friend and I went both days, since we are both kinda new to shooting and we live close, plymouth and bourne. Parking was horrible saturday at about noon when we got there, even though their was no line, we had to park at the IHOP at the top of the hill. Got there sunday at about 11 and parked in the grass lot right next to the building. Inside, we liked the setup, big space, easy to move around, but saturday was way too hot in there, maybe a few less vendors than Marlboro, but, not bad. Ammo prices, eh...(Walmart is tough to beat), although, we did buy some .223 remington pmc bronze 55gr. for 7bucks a box from the big ammo guy near the entrance. We bought a couple of scopes from the tall scope vendor for our new Mossburg 5.56's with the bolt and ar-15 mags...........got mine a couple days before the show on the cape at powderhorn for 574 w/ a scope, my friend got his at the show from a dealer from springfield for 540 w/ no scope......not sure if thats a good price for those or not, seen em online for 500, but, with shipping and the transfer, probably a wash and less hassle. We also bought some mags, metal ar-15 20's for 9 bucks, which i though was cheap. Also a 223 loader, not the lula, 32 was the cheapest i saw for those, but, a knockoff (CAA) for 12.99 and it works great. Oh, also a couple bipods for our mossies, $25 bucks, metal, not bad, not Harris though. We were looking for a Wheeler trigger pull gauge, no one had them though, seen em online for like 18 bucks, but, hate to pay shipping. lol All in all, we had fun, which is what counts. Will be back in December for sure.

Last edited:
We also bought some mags, metal ar-15 20's for 9 bucks, which i though was cheap.

I must have missed those. Cheapest 20-rounders I saw were $18/ea. Good find.

All in all, we had fun, which is what counts.

If you walk into every gun show you go to with this attitude, you'll never leave disappointed. It's the guys that walk in expecting to find a super deal on something they're interested in, that most often leave disappointed. You can still get lucky of course, if a vendor doesn't know exactly what they've got or if they just need to dump some inventory. But it isn't the same game as it was 20 years ago.

I go in knowing that I'll spend at least $100 on random ammo/ mags/ accessories etc...
I enjoy going even if I don't buy anything because it brings me back to the many years my father and I used to set up at gun shows all over New England.
I'll always see familiar faces at these shows and it's always fun to walk around a gigantic room full of guns. Keep that type of mindset about going to gun shows and you'll always have a good time.

In a word the show.....SUCKED!
The promoter had no food for the customers, went to Subway, purchased large subs, cut them in half and charged $4.50 for a half a sub. The place had twp power outlets. At one point you could smell the rubber burning from the heat off the extension cords. On Saturday it was about 90 + degrees.

As to carrying, I carried all weekend. I walked out a few times each day to get stuff from the truck.

IMHO its a terrible place to hold a gun-show. parking is a nightmare and their plan for the winter show is to have people park in the rest area and they will shuttle you back and fourth. knowing them, they will charge you 5 bucks for the shuttle service.
I told the guy i work for I wont not do that show again. He is on is own. It was that bad.

Last edited:
I'm sorry it sucked for you as a vendor, I understand the lack of power supply being a major PITA, I've experienced as well. Also I agree, that place was a sauna on saturday, you'd think an indoor sporting arena would be able to regulate the temperature, I mean if I was playing any sport there and it was 90 degrees before I even started playing, I know I would be pissed.

That being said, I wasn't a vendor, just simply a browser. I had no intentions of purchasing anything, but still enjoyed walking around, checking out the vendors, and some firearms I don't normally get to handle or even see. I enjoyed the BPD table, the early German revolver table, and the historical stuff in the booth towards the front.

If you go into a show not expecting anything, most of the time you'll come out pleasantly surprised.

It's the guys that walk in expecting to find a super deal on something they're interested in, that most often leave disappointed
I was this guy.
I prepared a list of stuff I wanted w/ prices and went by myself because I was on a mission. Went on Sunday, hoping prices would be reduced because vendors wanted to unload inventory. This was my 1st show and for some reason I thought there would be anything and everything for good prices.
If you go into a show not expecting anything, most of the time you'll come out pleasantly surprised.
Next show I am not expecting anything and will make it a fun trip, not a chore.

Last edited:
The promoter had no food for the customers, went to Subway, purchased large subs, cut them in half and charged $4.50 for a half a sub. The place had twp power outlets. At one point you could smell the rubber burning from the heat off the extension cords. On Saturday it was about 90 + degrees.

As to carrying, I carried all weekend. I walked out a few times each day to get stuff from the truck.

IMHO its a terrible place to hold a gun-show. parking is a nightmare and their plan for the winter show is to have people park in the rest area and they will shuttle you back and fourth. knowing them, they will charge you 5 bucks for the shuttle service.
I told the guy i work for I wont not do that show again. He is on is own. It was that bad.

That's too bad it was a bad experience for vendors. Perspective is everything sometimes. I actually thought, as a customer, it was a great venue for a show-much better than Marlboro. The only drawback in my mind was the heat. I got there at about 1 on Saturday with my son. We parked on the street about 100 yards from the show. (closer than the hotel lot in Marlboro) Compared to Marlboro, there was a lot more space to move around and it was quieter due to the astroturf and high ceiling. We could actually take our time at each table without getting jostled and exchanging body fluids. I really didn't miss being a part of that human soup of BO and farts that Marlboro is known for.
Hopefully they'll be better prepared next time to support the vendors with food, electricity and a regulated climate.

Last edited:
Hopefully they'll be better prepared next time to support the vendors with food, electricity and a regulated climate.

You don't know the promoter. If it will cost her more to turn the A/C or heat on, have electricity available, etc. she won't do it unless she can charge the dealers extra!

If you walk into every gun show you go to with this attitude, you'll never leave disappointed. It's the guys that walk in expecting to find a super deal on something they're interested in, that most often leave disappointed.

I'll always see familiar faces at these shows and it's always fun to walk around a gigantic room full of guns. Keep that type of mindset about going to gun shows and you'll always have a good time.

This is kind of how I went there; I was just going to see what I could find. I've got a list of things I'd like, and if I saw one I was prepared to go for it. If I didn't... Well, I still had fun. Saw a lot of folks I knew, got some jerky... and I did get lucky and found something I'd been looking for for a few years.

The promoter had no food for the customers, went to Subway, purchased large subs, cut them in half and charged $4.50 for a half a sub. The place had twp power outlets. At one point you could smell the rubber burning from the heat off the extension cords.
I was wondering what that burning rubber smell was. Richie Callaghan mentioned to me at about 2 PM that some vendors STILL didn't have power.

As for the subs... I think that was a last minute decision - I bought a pastry around 11:50 after finding out that they weren't going to have sandwiches or the grill. Guess that they didn't tell the people at the food counter about it.

You'd think that the promoter would have a list of things that needs to be done at each show. Strange that they didn't communicate that to the venue.

I went to try to find a Beretta 92 model, All they had was the black ones you can get anywhere. The plain ole 4.9 barrel kind.

What model are you looking for???? A 97??? They are for sale all over the place out of MA.

I assume when you say the black ones you are referring to the 92F or 92FS. I just picked up a pristine 92FS LE turn in.

at about 11am the main A/C unit blew a belt and/or bearings and had to be shut down so they were operating on a small unit.... My son and I were there when we overheard two maintenance guys talking about the units and one was shaking his head and swearing mumbling that "that thing isn't supposed to make that noise, this is not good...". We left there about 1:30 or so Saturday and the temp wasn't that bad, but it did feel good to get outside....
The AC ventilation ducts were dripping across the line before they shut it down...

My only complaint about the show was parking.... and it's funny as heck if you go on the venue's web site... they specifically callout that you'll never have to worry about parking or finding a parking spot as there is more than amble parking! LOL yah, seriously, look at the web page for the soccer place...

I really, REALLY liked that it was on taht indoor soccer field turf... really nice and soft and after walking around the should TWICE! my son and I didn't feel fatigued at all..... I also really liked that it was in Plymouth, which is about 20 minutes from home and is a nice drive... unlike Springfield which is about 2 hours away from home ;-(

Mike B

So pardon me from being a noob, i was planning on attending the Dec show and wanted to know. Never been to one before...I was looking for an AK was suggested to me to come to a show. Are there allot of vendors who sell AK's are they reputable? are you better off trying to pick one up off here...just curious what peoples thoughts were.

So pardon me from being a noob, i was planning on attending the Dec show and wanted to know. Never been to one before...I was looking for an AK was suggested to me to come to a show. Are there allot of vendors who sell AK's are they reputable? are you better off trying to pick one up off here...just curious what peoples thoughts were.

The time to buy an AK was on Monday or before. By the time we get to December the prices will be in full rape mode, depending on how bad the economy actually is.... December, at a gun show, double rape!

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom