• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poaching or Amazingly Stupid?

xtry51

NES Member
You decide. Hunter in Norway shoots two Elk..... in Zoo.

http://myfox8.com/2015/10/19/hunter...izing-he-was-shooting-through-fence-into-zoo/

Hold my beer and watch this.

A hunter in Norway shot dead two elk before realizing moments later that he was shooting through the fence of a zoo.

The animals were in the Polar Park Arctic Wildlife Center in northern Norway, about two hours drive south of the city of Tromso, above the Arctic Circle.

The hunter was with a group, hunting elk with specially trained dogs at the boundary of the park. One of the dogs went under the fence into the park after the scent of one of the huge animals and the hunter took a shot. His bullet passed through one animal, killing it, and lodged in the stomach of a second, which later had to be euthanized.

“We can’t explain what happened, but probably the hunter must have been so eager that he didn’t think,” said Polar Park CEO Heinz Strathmann. The incident happened on Oct.7.

Strathmann found out when the leader of the hunting group came to the park to tell staff what had happened.

Last edited:
either he sees iron fences all the time in the wild, or the zoo staff didn't post "no hunting" signs

NES..... Providing therapy and amusement for members since..... Wait.. how long have you guys been doing this stuff? Edit.. I do want to say thank you.. The comments are "made my day"... Thank you...

the police always look at prosecuting even for accidents. i have no idea if this was intentional or not but it seems an accident and I applaud the Park's response....they'll ask to be reimbursed for the animals and then they are looking to highlight the park boundaries. Seems fair and logical to me.

Polar Park will not press charges against the hunter because it was an accident, Strathmann said, but the zoo is asking that the hunters pay its costs.
“We have to buy two new elk, the cost of the vet, autopsy, transportation and destruction,” he said. An elk costs about 30,000 Krone ($3,500) to buy, he added.
Strathmann says that he hopes the chance of something like this happening again is zero, but staff will hold meetings before next season to highlight the park’s boundaries.

the police always look at prosecuting even for accidents. i have no idea if this was intentional or not but it seems an accident and I applaud the Park's response....they'll ask to be reimbursed for the animals and then they are looking to highlight the park boundaries. Seems fair and logical to me.

Polar Park will not press charges against the hunter because it was an accident, Strathmann said, but the zoo is asking that the hunters pay its costs.
“We have to buy two new elk, the cost of the vet, autopsy, transportation and destruction,” he said. An elk costs about 30,000 Krone ($3,500) to buy, he added.
Strathmann says that he hopes the chance of something like this happening again is zero, but staff will hold meetings before next season to highlight the park’s boundaries.
It's sad when a reasonable response is a surprise

He was pissed off that they want to ban cars in the city.

$3500 for an Elk seems cheap. There are dogs more expensive than that.

not as bad as the guys who shoot tamed animals at their feet seconds after they are let out of a travel crate.

Back
Top Bottom