pocket carry

I am kind of warming up to the idea of pocket carry. Then I hit the dumb question of where do you keep your real wallet? I already keep my regular wallet in my front pocket because of lower back pain so then what (besides a Smart Carry [insert appropriate smilie]) ?

Bill

Plus now that it's getting colder, you can start putting your wallet or pocket carry into an inside pocket of a jacket. I do this a lot once the weather gets colder.

Plus now that it's getting colder, you can start putting your wallet or pocket carry into an inside pocket of a jacket. I do this a lot once the weather gets colder.

Carrying in different pockets at different times of the year is not a good option. The idea is to have the firearm at the same place and use the same draw stroke all the time.

I carry in my right front pocket with my wallet in my left front pocket. The only thing that really changes is the location of my reload. Most of my pants have a watch pocket so my speed loader is there. If I wear dress pants. I change the reload to a speed strip in the right rear pocket but the gun stays in the same place.

I currently use a Mika pocket holster but I am looking for better and have seen one posted here I will soon be trying. Then I will have the Mika in the LF pocket and the newer holster in the RF pocket and too hell with a wallet [wink]

I have a Seecamp and mix it up. Front right and back right depending on the pants. Wallet goes in the opposite.

Bottom line was that I had to slim down my other carry items, particularly my wallet. The old wallet was bigger than the Seecamp! I now have a Slimmy wallet and don't carry anything I don't absolutely need in it. Ironically, I have not missed any of the other crap that used to fill up the old Constanza wallet. A small, slim wallet will go in almost any pocket and not cause back pain if put in rear pocket.

My main problem now is where my knife goes at times when I cannot (or choose not to) clip it. It has been riding loose in the front pocket with the wallet.

Carrying in different pockets at different times of the year is not a good option. The idea is to have the firearm at the same place and use the same draw stroke all the time.

In a perfect world I would agree, but due to the differences in clothing worn, the way you draw will be different. How I draw from a pair of jeans, compared to dress pants, compared to Dockers always changes This is especially true, at least from my experience, as the weather gets colder and you wear more layers. Sometimes it's very hard getting your ccw out of your front pants pocket in winter as you wrangle with your jacket, sweat shirt etc'. I find that transitioning my ccw to my inside coat pocket actually speeds up the process of drawing it. YRMV

speedy, pretty good video. I will start to pocket carry when I finally get my .38 revolver. No chance in hell for me to pocket carry a full size P99.

I read this. Like WTF? Is this for real. I know someone who has one of these...

http://www.naaminis.com/faqgeneral.html

From the link:
The wallet, in and of itself, is a benign piece of folded leather. The minirevolver is a time-tested, high-quality small firearm but, when you join one with the other, watch out! _ you've just created what ATF defines as 'any other weapon', a rather nefarious classification which includes pen guns, cane guns and other disguised weaponry. While legal to own, AOWs require registration and payment of special taxes similar to those for fully-automatic weapons. Possession of an AOW without meeting these requirements subjects the holder to a felony charge (which further exposes us to the liability of a lawsuit).

The distinction between the WH and the folding holster grip or the belt buckle, as it has been explained to us, is that the WH weapon is operable from its disguised state (no need to remove it from the wallet in order to fire it). Both the HG and BB require that the gun be additionally manipulated (opened, removed) before it is functional, and so suffer no 'special' classification. The WH was a very popular accessory and it's a great disappointment that we're unable to offer it for sale.

I am kind of warming up to the idea of pocket carry. Then I hit the dumb question of where do you keep your real wallet? I already keep my regular wallet in my front pocket because of lower back pain so then what (besides a Smart Carry [insert appropriate smilie]) ?

Bill

Wallet - left front pocket.
G27 - right front pocket.
xtra mag - left rear pocket.

I wear 511's everyday. [smile] Tremendous pants for active carry.

Last edited:
pip, when I first started shooting in 1976, those wallet-holsters (that you could fire from without removing the gun) were all the rage and sold by Colman's Sporting Goods and everyplace else.

Somewhere over the years, they were classified as AOW and the owners became "instant felons" with no knowledge that their status has changed from "upstanding citizen"!

pip, when I first started shooting in 1976, those wallet-holsters (that you could fire from without removing the gun) were all the rage and sold by Colman's Sporting Goods and everyplace else.

Somewhere over the years, they were classified as AOW and the owners became "instant felons" with no knowledge that their status has changed from "upstanding citizen"!

That is so silly. Why on earth would someone make a classification like that over a holster?

That is so silly. Why on earth would someone make a classification like that over a holster?

Sounds like just about every gun law doesn't it?

Basically, the despots want our guns to look like guns.

The ruling is on devices you can put the gun into and still be able to fire it. Most of the wallets in question had an opening to insert your finger to activate the trigger.

Oh, and just for the record, ANY "gadget gun" that doesn't look like a gun is illegal in MA regardless of the federal tax payment.

You will have to ask someone at BATFE. They made the ruling or a Fed Law change made it for them. I don't know which, as I never owned one of those devices, I never tracked that info.

Just know that 10s of thousands of such holsters were probably sold. Most are still possessed today, with most owner clueless of their felon status.

In a perfect world I would agree, but due to the differences in clothing worn, (SNIP) I find that transitioning my ccw to my inside coat pocket actually speeds up the process of drawing it. YRMV

All I can do is give you the benefit of 35 years of concealed carry. During that time many mistakes were made and some things were learned. What you wish to do with the information is up to you.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom