• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pocket Carry

Ok, its getting way to hot for regular carry and curious what guns I should think of maybe trying to eventually procur for pocket carry for the quick walk around the complex. more importantly, what caliber? I was maybe thinking of .380

For pocket carry you can't beat a S&W 642 or 442 in a pocket holster, especially in warm weather. And, if you want to wear shorts with an elastcized waistband carry the lightweight snubbie in a Smartcarry Holster.

The SP101 is either 357 or 38. Buy the 357 version and you can use either.

The revolvers are my summer guns. One in each pocket of my shorts and a t-shirt. My video talks about what kind of pockets you will need and how to size them.

The choice of pants in very important with pocket carry. You need to find pants with pleated or bellowed pockets with a wide opening to accommodate both your gun and your hand during the draw. Lots of benefits to pocket carry.

My size, price is right, and would be fine for the winter months Dave. I need something specifically for shorts. I wore pants for 1 day in the summer and quickly went to buy a few pairs of shorts.

Are their shorts pockets the same like the pants do you know?

I dont mean to be difficult, but I would like to try and keep as cool as I can and not suffer from heat exhaustion.

I'd go with David Kenik's Advice, as hes the pro, but if you're not looking for a wheel gun, check out the kahr pm-9

I'd go with David Kenik's Advice, as hes the pro, but if you're not looking for a wheel gun, check out the kahr pm-9

I'd like to get a wheel gun, but being 6'7 clothing options are not exactly the best and am limited. Then throw in the fact that your asking for heat stroke if you wear pants around here in the summer. My body still hasn't really adapted to FL living yet.

Last edited:
I love my 442 for pocket carry. I recently shot an SP101 and was impressed with it, but I think it might be a bit heavy for pocket carry depending on your pants.

My size, price is right, and would be fine for the winter months Dave. I need something specifically for shorts. I wore pants for 1 day in the summer and quickly went to buy a few pairs of shorts.

Are their shorts pockets the same like the pants do you know?

I dont mean to be difficult, but I would like to try and keep as cool as I can and not suffer from heat exhaustion.

Check out 5.11 shorts.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...ns-Cotton/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:11100/I/73285 (better prices can be found elsewhere)

Also a year or two ago, it was reported on DefensiveCarry.com that Kohls was selling some shorts with extra deep front pockets. I think the brand may have been Columbia, but that's from memory.

As an example, check out what they have in the stores.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/men...ed_nav_search&SubcatFolderID=2534374754792450

Check out 5.11 shorts.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...ns-Cotton/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:11100/I/73285 (better prices can be found elsewhere)

Also a year or two ago, it was reported on DefensiveCarry.com that Kohls was selling some shorts with extra deep front pockets. I think the brand may have been Columbia, but that's from memory.

As an example, check out what they have in the stores.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/men...ed_nav_search&SubcatFolderID=2534374754792450

The Kohls don't make it in my size, and the 5.11 were actually double what the cabellas are for the same size. May wait a bit and see how much more weight I drop.

I believe that the Cabellas shorts are the same as the pants

As it states in the video, the slide of a semi-auto, the size a Kahr, often gets caught in the pocket which fouls the draw. A hammerless revolver works best. An SP101 is easy to carry with quality pants and a belt. I carry two.

The internal hammer J-Frames from Smith are great choices as well.

Yes, the Ruger LCP is very small, but so is it's bullet.

Last edited:
My 642 has proven to be a great pocket carry so far this warm season. No problem with most of my pants and shorts. The cargo shorts have the deepest pockets and seem to work best though there is plenty of room in Dockers pockets as well. I use a DeSantis Nemesis holster but a Mika is on order. With the Nemesis, I still need more drawing practice to keep it from coming out with the revolver in really loose pockets though. Hoping the Mika will be a bit better in that regard. I also need more range practice with the snub as I find it quite a bit more challenging to shoot well than my stainless Ruger Speed Six.

The 642 like the other hammerless or internal hammer guns are great.

I have not had much luck with friction holsters. Any holster must work 100%! I prefer holstera that hook in to the pants on the way out or have a "shelf" that you can push with your thumb as you draw to pull the gun from the holtser. I recently tried the ones from aholster.com and they work great and they are cheap!

For pocket carry you can't beat a S&W 642 or 442 in a pocket holster, especially in warm weather.

+1. The 442 is a lightweight, excellent pocket weapon, designed for just that purpose. With the right ammo for short barrels and a speed strip or two, you're ready for the day. [grin]

Dave, need to remember I am in Florida where at 10:30pm its still 86F with a high humidity so it feels in the 90s.

I will def. go check them out, what is it? .38 spl? and I wont have enough $$$ for two.

I have one - would not carry in a pocket...mine accommodates both calibers.

I use a 442 for pocket carry. Another gun to check if you want a semi-auto would be the Walther PPS.

A Kahr PM9 or 380 might work.
I love my Kahr PM9. Lighter than an SP101. Better sights than a S&W 642.

IAs it states in the video, the slide of a semi-auto, the size a Kahr, often gets caught in the pocket which fouls the draw. A hammerless revolver works best. An SP101 is easy to carry with quality pants and a belt. I carry two.

The internal hammer J-Frames from Smith are great choices as well.
I don't have any problem drawing my PM9.

I find that my S&W 642 has a lot of felt recoil and truly horrible sights -- it just doesn't work for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
I've been pleased with my SW 638 "bodyguard." It eats .38+p and weighs about the same as my cell phone and wallet. Has a bobbed hammer, too, so it can be fired SA.

sw638.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom