• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pocket Carry

I pocket carry my 442 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster everyday. I wear ordinary Dockers and a tucked in shirt around the office all day and no one is the wiser.

check out the IMI Micro eagle. Its .380 dao but the trigger is remarkably smooth and it actually fits well in the hand, even for a little gun.

A ruger LCP with a Desantis Superfly is hard to beat it my opinion. The the pinky extention on the mag gives you a good grip on the gun and you can easily draw out of the holster even wearing jeans. No snagging. The removable velcro flap of the superfly is key imo. It allows your to conceal with just about any kind of pants that are loose fit or regular fir. It helps break up the lines and looks just like a wallet.

I sued to carry a Glock 36 in 45 ACP but it became burdensome to truly conceal. I opted carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster. More recently I have acquired a Kahr PM-9 which is also excellent for carrying in a pocket holster.

I sued to carry a Glock 36 in 45 ACP but it became burdensome to truly conceal. I opted carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster. More recently I have acquired a Kahr PM-9 which is also excellent for carrying in a pocket holster.

who did you sue?

carry

I have carried a FI 380 in a inside the waist holster.and the shirt hanging out.
golf type shirts are great for that.when in the sevice Naval air I used to go to town with a 1909 colt new sevice in my belt with the jumper{whites].that was a freer navy.they did not frown on privat guns.I brought a dozen rifle pistols home and the customs just asked if they were mine I said yes and on my way I went.

A pair of baggy shorts with big, sturdy pockets (5.11 Tactical makes a good pair) with a S&W j-frame in a pocket holster. Oh, and a large polo shirt worn outside your shorts.

On the days I'm wearing shorts, I'll be carrying my S&W mod.36 with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Works for me.

EDIT: The shorts I'm using are cargo shorts from American Eagle. The pockets are just deep enough.

Last edited:
My favorite: Seecamp .32 in a Matt Del Fatti holster.

DSCN1523.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

For me, pocket carry means jacket pocket. This carry allows you to have your hand on the gun and point it in the necessary direction with no one the wiser. For the real hot months vests are available that serve the same purpose.

The only gun I would consider for this type of carry is a snubby with a shrouded hammer. This will allow you to fire from your pocket more than once.
Charter Arms is about to introduce a snubby in .45 ACP. I would love one of these with a shrouded or bobbed hammer.

I read an article somewhere that carrying a firearm in a holster that hides the outline of the weapon requires a special license. Might be that it was just a restriction on a holster that the weapon could be fired from. Anyone else heard of that issue?
Jim

Do NOT worry about caliber. If it's a choice between not carrying and carrying, even a .22 is better than nothing.

It also has a lot to do with what you're comfortable and proficient in shooting. I'd rather see you carry even a .25 auto that you can reliably put 2 in C/M and one in the head that a hand cannon you're more likely to miss with.

You hear all kinds of caliber arguments on gun forums and I agree that bigger is better, all things being equal.

But first, your chances of actually needing to use your gun are very small, second, it's even more unlikely that you'll run into someone who won't be stopped by a few rounds of .25 or 380.

All things being equal I'd go for a Kahr. They7 make some extremely concealable .45s as well as 380s. Of course a wheel gun in 38 sp or .357 is always a good choice. For a .25 you want a Beretta.

Thanks Bill

My primary thing is being able to carry comfortably and retain a high amount of concealability. Remember, FL has no open carry, and if you accidently flash the local PoPos have a nice friendly talk with you reminding you that concealed carry is just that, concealed carry.

If it has to be absolutely small and flat to fit where you want to carry it, get a Seecamp .32 or .380 if you can find one. A J frame in .38 or .357 would be my first choice if you can find pants with large/deep enough pockets to fit you. If you want an auto, there are plenty of small pocketable autos around. There is also no shortage of pocket holsters for a wide variety of guns.

Since you say you are 6'-7", I would think your hand size would have something to do with your selection. A Seecamp might be too small for you to even grip and be able to get a finger comfortably in the trigger guard!

Make up a list of possibles and then try to find friends/stores that have them so you can try them out for fit, eventually you will find what works for you. Just remember what others have said, any gun you carry is better than one you don't. Good luck.

I only carry in a belt holster and carry a spare mag in a mag holder. I used to sometimes carry in a pocket but found lint in the gun and spare mag sometimes. Now I dress to conceal what I carry. I carry a Kahr P45 and practice with it twice a week.I think bigger is better but I agree with Bill. Carry what you can hit with.

I read an article somewhere that carrying a firearm in a holster that hides the outline of the weapon requires a special license. Might be that it was just a restriction on a holster that the weapon could be fired from. Anyone else heard of that issue?
Jim

There's a complete ban on guns that are disguised to look like something else, is that what you heard?

Chapter 140: Section 131N. Covert weapons; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131N. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess any weapon, capable of discharging a bullet or shot, that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk-through metal detectors. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Jim

Back in the 1970s there were pocket holsters that allowed you to shoot the handgun while holstered. Eventually (1980s IIRC), BATFE decided to ban them and make it a Federal offense to possess one.

This is separate from any MA anti-gun laws (which are even more restrictive).

i'm still waiting for my mika holster. i hope it comes soon! like he says on his webpage though he's focused on producing a quality product so i am confident it will be worth the wait and then some. i don't dislike the uncle mike's holster i have but it's also not that great.

What ever you decide, keep it in a holster.

holster_001.jpg

Last fall a New Hampshire bow hunter found out the hard way and shot himself in the leg while in a tree stand. Fortuantely he made his way to medical attention.

Mine is an FIE Titan .25 acp with Winchester Expand Points. The fastest eight rounds you'll ever get out of a cheapie pistol. Very low profile and print.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom