Police officer shot during training.

Somebody spiked my weed.

Whuuut?
Your new NES April Fool's avatar:
full

Sounds like a classic draw/holster ND.

Anyone who has shot with cops knows that in general they are terrible gun handlers/shooters. Yes there are exceptions, but I've seen at least 10 soup sandwiches for every competent gun handler/marksman be it pistol or rifle.
Gave a safety test to a new member of the club a few weeks ago. Retired law enforcement. For the handgun test the member needs to hit an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 7 yards 3 times in a row. Guy missed once and had 2 holes about 6 inches apart. I said sorry sir you'll have to reschedule another test. He said "I'm retired law enforcement and an expert marksman....and 7 yards is a bit far for handgun work isn't it?". I said professionally "sir feel free to look at the target again Maybe there is a third hole I'm not seeing". He left and said he'd reschedule. What I wanted to say was "holy f*** dude.....expert marksman? I'd hate to see the cops that are marginal if that's expert!"

Cops generally suck at shooting....and for some reason think they are amazing..the vast majority of my non Leo friends can drill the 10 ring out of a target at 7 yards.....this guy couldn't even hit paper 3 times.

It's truly unfortunate that officers don't get a lot more training both in hand to hand combat and firearms usage. They should really be training 15-25% of the time. He'll, if you just had weekly quals of 10 shots or mandatory dry fire time with lasers for scoring and tracked scores I'm sure you'd see huge improvements.

It's truly unfortunate that officers don't get a lot more training both in hand to hand combat and firearms usage. They should really be training 15-25% of the time. He'll, if you just had weekly quals of 10 shots or mandatory dry fire time with lasers for scoring and tracked scores I'm sure you'd see huge improvements.
We privide access to our range to 3 different town police forces. Each town gets 3 access cards so that rhe officers can come anytime and practice. The cards rarely get used.

Gave a safety test to a new member of the club a few weeks ago. Retired law enforcement. For the handgun test the member needs to hit an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 7 yards 3 times in a row. Guy missed once and had 2 holes about 6 inches apart. .... He said "I'm retired law enforcement and an expert marksman ... What I wanted to say was "holy f*** dude.....expert marksman? I'd hate to see the cops that are marginal if that's expert!"
8½"x11" sheet of blank paper?

You hardass.

You could at least have thrown him a bone
and given him a real target to aim at.
dog-gun-range-target-jonathan-singel.jpg

It's truly unfortunate that officers don't get a lot more training both in hand to hand combat and firearms usage.
I'll take "problems that police don't have in Kenosha" for $100, Alex.

I think it was NECN that I saw this on today (17th) and they said it happened in Florida...

Boy their right on top of reporting the story... [rofl2]

I've posted before that on Tuesday afternoons I shoot skeet with John. He's about 10 years older than I am and a very good shotgun shooter. Ranked AA in skeet, I don't know what else. This past Tuesday was typical, he shot a 24 and a 25 - I shot a 19 and a 15. Yeah, I know - I suck at shotgun.

Out skeet field layout is similar to others, two fields side by side and the middle house serves as the low house for the left field and the high house for the right field. We're shooting on the right field, at station 7, and as he's calling for the high house - three guys walk past the barricade and open the door to the house. John's pointing a shotgun just about directly at them. He stops, unloads and we wait. They go into the house, load the machine, walk back out and onto the left field to start shooting. Without saying a word to us.

One of them was in uniform - he's the police chief in my town.

this is why you train, to weed out the people who have bad technique, or who have become complacent for further training. sad the officer got injured.

airline pilots train in simulator and take check rides all the time. if you p ass the tests, you r good to go. fail and u need training. its not rocket science.

8½"x11" sheet of blank paper?

You hardass.

You could at least have thrown him a bone
and given him a real target to aim at.
dog-gun-range-target-jonathan-singel.jpg

I'll take "problems that police don't have in Kenosha" for $100, Alex.
I never said it was blank. It's a standard target on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Friend of mine at a range a couple of months ago said something that made a lot of sense.

"Put your feet together before you reholster". That way, your foot/leg aren't sticking out below your holster. If you ND into the holster, it goes into the ground.

He said this to me when we were talking about a guy shooting himself in the foot at one of our local ranges.
If you have to resort to doing that every time you holster, then maybe feeding goldfish at petco might be a better career.

Back
Top Bottom