Police Officers shot since 2019

Via Fox News from the National Fraternal Order of Police

2019- 293 shot 50 died
2020- 312 shot 47 died
2021- 346 shot 63 died

Since 2019, in the United States of America, a Police Officer was shot every 28 hours
Since 2019, in the United States of America, a Police Officer was shot and died every week
And in 2021, the first year of the Biden Presidency, ambush attacks on Police Officers increased by 115% over the previous year.

Their job has them enforcing the laws of The State, often with force, in hostile territory and typically against criminals with nothing to lose. Shouldn't be much of a surprise at all that some get killed in the process. But why does the method of their murder matter? If they get shot or if they get strangled, what's the difference? These statistics sound like they're pushing an anti-gun agenda.

Their job has them enforcing the laws of The State, often with force, in hostile territory and typically against criminals with nothing to lose. Shouldn't be much of a surprise at all that some get killed in the process. But why does the method of their murder matter? If they get shot or if they get strangled, what's the difference? These statistics sound like they're pushing an anti-gun agenda.
These statistics sound like they're pushing an anti-gun agenda.
BINGO.

I see both sides of this. Over a 15 year career I got injured a couple times, but there were definitely quite a few times that if I wasn’t lucky, or good at what I did, I could’ve gotten really hurt. The best time was the 330 pound 6’3” dude that tried to get my gun. I officially ‘restrained him’. I unofficially choked him out. That doesn’t hit ‘omgdangerousjerbs’ clickbait dick measuring articles… but shit like that happened quite a few times to me.

Whatever.

2019- 293 shot 50 died
2020- 312 shot 47 died
2021- 346 shot 63 died

Since 2019, in the United States of America, a Police Officer was shot every 28 hours
Since 2019, in the United States of America, a Police Officer was shot and died every week
And in 2021, the first year of the Biden Presidency, ambush attacks on Police Officers increased by 115% over the previous year.

Ok, not bad odds considering the numbers of police officers in the country.

There are 906,037 full-time law enforcement employees and 94,275 part-time employees.

There are 3.5 million truck drivers in the U.S. Between 2012 and 2015, the number of deaths held steady at 650 to 700 deaths per year, but between 2015 and 2018, the number increased from 665 to 885 – a 25% increase.

2019 48 firefighters died ...Overall statistics on line-of-duty firefighter fatalities, including non-incident-related deaths.
Professional fire departments protect 68% of the US population, with a total of 1,216,600 .

Those numbers don't make me think that profession is a walk in the park and totally safe....especially after seeing the effects of a burning building on unfortunate occupants. Nu,bers can be twisted in almost anything.

I see both sides of this. Over a 15 year career I got injured a couple times, but there were definitely quite a few times that if I wasn’t lucky, or good at what I did, I could’ve gotten really hurt. The best time was the 330 pound 6’3” dude that tried to get my gun. I officially ‘restrained him’. I unofficially choked him out. That doesn’t hit ‘omgdangerousjerbs’ clickbait dick measuring articles… but shit like that happened quite a few times to me.

Whatever.
God bless you, I’m happy you made it out at a fairly young age still. It’s easy for folks to run their mouth rather harshly (and probably kind of normal just being human) about things they really haven’t ever experienced, but dress them up in the clown suit and send em forth with all their righteousness and their attitude will change drastically within the first year.

This has been happening probably since cops were invented and will continue into our new future as well. It’s human nature to bitch.

Take Professor George Kirkham. He was a hardcore liberal anti police professor in the 70’s.
One of his students who was a cop challenged him one day. Put your money where your mouth is, attend our academy and come work with us. And he did (the professor) and he quickly realized how wrong he had been all this time in his attitude towards police and what he was teaching (railing against police) his students.

He wrote the following book “Signal Zero” which was code for officer down.

Amazon product ASIN 0397011288View: https://www.amazon.com/Signal-Zero-George-Kirkham/dp/0397011288

I can’t believe that it has become so popular that a single hardcover copy is now going for 500.00 on Amazon. Used. From the 70’s. Soft cover book still available for normal cost I believe.

Anyway, great book, reads fast and I recommend it to anyone that wants to see how even a dickwad liberal professor had his mind changed for him by what he experienced on the streets.

God bless you, I’m happy you made it out at a fairly young age still. It’s easy for folks to run their mouth rather harshly (and probably kind of normal just being human) about things they really haven’t ever experienced, but dress them up in the clown suit and send em forth with all their righteousness and their attitude will change drastically within the first year.

This has been happening probably since cops were invented and will continue into our new future as well. It’s human nature to bitch.

Take Professor George Kirkham. He was a hardcore liberal anti police professor in the 70’s.
One of his students who was a cop challenged him one day. Put your money where your mouth is, attend our academy and come work with us. And he did (the professor) and he quickly realized how wrong he had been all this time in his attitude towards police and what he was teaching (railing against police) his students.

He wrote the following book “Signal Zero” which was code for officer down.

Amazon product ASIN 0397011288View: https://www.amazon.com/Signal-Zero-George-Kirkham/dp/0397011288

I can’t believe that it has become so popular that a single hardcover copy is now going for 500.00 on Amazon. Used. From the 70’s. Soft cover book still available for normal cost I believe.

Anyway, great book, reads fast and I recommend it to anyone that wants to see how even a dickwad liberal professor had his mind changed for him by what he experienced on the streets.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

Another one learns, one split second at a time.

Look, these aren't accidental deaths, these are murders. Nobody signs up to be murdered on the job. It has become acceptable in many cities to murder a cop. It's only going to get worse I'm afraid. This is a terrible reflection on our society, our country and our way of life, it's NOT acceptable nor should it be rationalized away like a data point on a chart.

I pray they all rest in peace.

2019- 293 shot 50 died
2020- 312 shot 47 died
2021- 346 shot 63 died

To add context to those numbers, there is far less proactive policing going on now than in 2019.

Last edited:
My career was 20 years in a correctional facility and I heard a million times how we had it so much worse than cops and I used to say to my coworkers .

“At least we are not dealing with getting shot at”

It sucks to read about anyone working and getting killed on the job, whether it’s construction, fire, police or whatever.

On topic I wonder how many of these cops Killed were because they were either hesitant to use deadly force due to being afraid of getting in trouble or were simply not fit for the job.

Pull a knife and step forward, get shot.

That said, and it goes back to my 'more force sooner' statement, why didn't someone walk up and tase him?
Probably because nobody knew who was officially in charge and getting verbal commands or nobody wanted to get shot by his or her own people.

I’m QB’ing this but that’s my immediate thoughts right wrong or indifferent 🤷‍♂️

The fact that some here are unable to differentiate between the Police being systematically murdered/ambushed and other tragic on the job fatalities-illness is astounding to me.

Look, these aren't accidental deaths, these are murders. Nobody signs up to be murdered on the job. It has become acceptable in many cities to murder a cop. It's only going to get worse I'm afraid. This is a terrible reflection on our society, our country and our way of life, it's NOT acceptable nor should it be rationalized away like a data point on a chart.

You are right, they are murders and nobody signs up to be murdered......where you are wrong is stating that it has become "acceptable" in many cities.

It's not only NOT accepted ANYWHERE, it is prosecuted with exponential vigor EVERYWHERE.

Probably because nobody knew who was officially in charge and getting verbal commands or nobody wanted to get shot by his or her own people.

I’m QB’ing this but that’s my immediate thoughts right wrong or indifferent 🤷‍♂️
Same thought here. When I was working with multiple local street units I saw it all the time. Again, training, training, training. This one was probably avoidable.

Pull a knife and step forward, get shot.

That said, and it goes back to my 'more force sooner' statement, why didn't someone walk up and tase him?
All people see is a lineup of cops. Some ( maybe not so innocent) schmuck. Then a literal barrage of gunfire.
Perception is reality and if many many people perceive the police as the larger threat then here we are.

You are right, they are murders and nobody signs up to be murdered......where you are wrong is stating that it has become "acceptable" in many cities.

It's not only NOT accepted ANYWHERE, it is prosecuted with exponential vigor EVERYWHERE.

Shoot a cop, get bail. Maybe show up for the trial? Hard to read the article, but it seems like he posted 250k bond as a signed rapper. But, the article hurt my brain to read.

The fact that some here are unable to differentiate between the Police being systematically murdered/ambushed and other tragic on the job fatalities-illness is astounding to me.

Yeah, but they weren't murdered.

At the end of the day, that doesn't matter. It sucks they were murdered, and nobody signs up for that, but they did sign up knowing it was a threat inherent to the job. I'm an Ironworker, falling off something to my death or having a ridiculously heavy piece of steel or machinery dropped on my head is an inherent risk of my job, I signed up knowing that.

If we are comparing the rate at which people are murdered at work, they would be higher than other professions, but that is rarely if ever the comparison that is made. If we are simply comparing the risk of death at work everyday, which is the usual comparison and includes both being shot to death and car accidents, falls, etc. then being a cop is safer than quite a number of professions. That's not to say there aren't shitty parts to their job that don't exist elsewhere, but acting as if they have an extremely dangerous job and it is somehow much different because they are occasionally targeted deaths rather than random ones feels really disingenuous.

Back
Top Bottom