• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police seize stash of illegal firearms . . .

090716_winchester_weapons.jpg

Police seize stash of illegal firearms

By Brad Petrishen
GateHouse News Service
Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 12:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WINCHESTER — Winchester police seized a stockpile of illegal firearms and 39 “edged weapons” from a home on Harvard Street after multiple neighboring residents reported hearing gunshots last weekend.

Police responded to a call of suspected gunshots at 68 Harvard St. at 8 p.m. Sunday evening. According to the incident report, all the windows of the suspect’s home were covered, no lights were on inside and no noise was emanating from within.

One officer knocked on the side door and took cover at the northwest corner of the house, while two other officers were deployed at the front and east sides, according to the report.

A few minutes after the knock, police reported that the suspect, 63-year-old Thomas Collins, opened the door and started to emerge, at which time police drew their weapons and ordered him to show them his hands. After having him turn around to ensure he was not armed, police said they placed him in handcuffs and asked whether he had recently fired a gun or lit off fireworks in the area.

According to the report, Collins reported that he had not taken either action, but allowed police to search his home.

Police said Collins appeared to be intoxicated, as his speech was slurred, his eyes red and glassy and he smelled of alcohol.

Prior to entering the home, they asked Collins if he had any firearms inside, to which he replied that he had one rifle in his closet, but was unable to produce an FID card or firearm license.

Upon searching the home, police found five rifles, a shotgun, a pistol and a large plastic box filled with ammunition in an unsecured closet outside the man’s bedroom.

A loaded .380 semi-automatic pistol was also found on the kitchen table, and upon closer inspection, two gunshot holes were observed in the kitchen ceiling directly above the area in which the handgun was found.

A total of 39 edged weapons were also found in the house, including knives of varying lengths, a machete, a hand ax and a sword.

According to the report, all the weapons were seized and taken to the station, where they had to be placed in a cell because they would not all fit in an evidence locker.

After admitting that he had fired one round in his home, Collins was arrested and charged with two counts of discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, disturbing the peace, seven counts of improper storage of a firearm and seven counts of unlawful possession of a firearm.

After being transported to the station, Collins began screaming and crying, and was transported to Winchester Hospital for a psychological evaluation, police said.

Multiple neighbors told police that Collins had been acting strangely all day, making loud noises for quite some time and at one point started screaming about the Vietnam War, police wrote in their report.

One witness reported hearing him say he “wasn’t going down this way,” and others confirmed hearing screaming about 15 minutes before the gunshots.​

Lessons learned:

Don't handle firearms when drunk.

When asked can we search your home? the answer is: no.

Even if you have done nothing the answer is no. [thinking] When having just accidentally discharging a gun right before the police show up and you have no license for any guns, definate no.[wink]

According to the report, all the weapons were seized and taken to the station, where they had to be placed in a cell because they would not all fit in an evidence locker.

[shocked]

[wink] sounds like a nice collection.

The proper answer appears to be, "Yes. Yes, officer I was shooting off fireworks. You caught me. Now, let's go get me booked (before you become interested in my guns)

It looks like cache to me... [shocked]

What do you suppose are the odds that he will get the help he needs, rather than being thrown into some hell hole MCI for 150 years?

(I thought swords were illegal!)

(For the four or five people that read that last comment and think I that really thought swords were illegal: [slap])

" May we come in ? "
" No. You may not. "
" Were you ... "
" No."
" Did you ..."
" No. "

Repeat until they get hungry or need to use the bathroom - somehwere else.

I wonder about : " Have you been drinking ? "
" Yes. With the doors locked and the windows closed. I do not want to alarm anyone ."

Or Just " Am I under arrest ? , then goodnight Officers. "

" May we come in ? "
" No. You may not. "
" Were you ... "
" No."
" Did you ..."
" No. "

Repeat until they get hungry or need to use the bathroom - somehwere else.

I wonder about : " Have you been drinking ? "
" Yes. With the doors locked and the windows closed. I do not want to alarm anyone ."

Or Just " Am I under arrest ? , then goodnight Officers. "
Ya but some people just love to talk.

If that picture was everything (or the most interesting of them), I am not impressed at his collection.

If that picture was everything (or the most interesting of them), I am not impressed at his collection.

well fox 5 showed some nice bolt - actions, but the video was short.

the story and video clips have been recycling every 20 min as usual this morning [wink]

placed him in handcuffs and asked whether he had recently fired a gun or lit off fireworks in the area.
"I thought I heard something, and when I looked out I saw some teenagers walking away." (This happens often in the weeks around the 4th.)

Of course the door is locked (with key in pocket) when he exited.

Any bets that the two shots were right after he chickened out on putting one through the roof of his mouth?

Can you consent to a search while drunk? I just ask, because I know that you a waiver of counsel under those conditions won't hold up. You're right about some people just loving to hear the sound of their own voice, particularly when under the influence of the spirits.

Ken

Any bets that the two shots were right after he chickened out on putting one through the roof of his mouth?

Could be.

The whole scenario sounds a little creepy. Windows "covered", no lights on. Was he just sitting in the dark by himself chugging whiskey and twirling a .380 around his finger?

SKETCHY

Could be.

The whole scenario sounds a little creepy. Windows "covered", no lights on. Was he just sitting in the dark by himself chugging whiskey and twirling a .380 around his finger?

SKETCHY

Poor bastard was probably worried that 'charlie' was outside.
Sounds like a vietnam vet with some issues.

The people of Winchester must be horrified. Guns, right in their own backyard!

The whole scenario sounds a little creepy. Windows "covered", no lights on.
Don't you have any doubts that this description might be overstated by the police to justify the guns drawn on the approach to the house?

Keep in mind that this is the same article with "stash" and "illegal firearms" in the headline. (The firearms weren't illegal [if any can be], they were illegally kept and stored [completely malum prohibitum].)

You think a lawyer is going to poke holes in the "allowed" search of the home?

How many knives? They empty the silverware drawer to add to that count? Seriously, if there is no story in this just make it dramatic by adding in pellet guns and steak knives to the mix, that will get it on the news!

As to the "covered" windows, if someone hit up my house at night and I was in the bedroom they wouldnt see any light. Blackout shades so I can sleep and no way would anyone be able to tell with windows blocked if there were lights on.

Back
Top Bottom