Polish M91/30 - And I'm Not Kidding! (pics)

Oh, and did I say that it was also an unfired PU Sniper?

PU_and_mausers_004.jpg

PU_and_mausers_003.jpg

I had to hit myself in the head with a hammer to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Didn't feel a thing, but I took more pics anyway.

Polish_PU_003.jpg

Polish_PU_004.jpg

Polish_PU_005.jpg

Soviet scope number (before refurb), and the most gorgeous beech stock I've ever seen.

PU_markings_005.jpg

PU_markings_009.jpg

Just more pics.

PU_scope_markings_001.jpg

PU_scope_markings_002.jpg

PU_scope_markings_005.jpg

PU_scope_markings_007.jpg

bore_002.jpg

Hoooooooo... yyyyyeah. I need a cold shower.

ok, I may be missing something, how is it Polish? I thought those were all Russian marks.

Did you check under the scope mount to verify it was original to the rifle, not US mod?

Well, there are only four specimens that I can find on a web search. So, there's not a lot of depth on the subject. It is thought that these were rearsenaled in Poland in the early 1960's. The optics were updated, mechanics brought up to specs, and the beech stocks were added.

Up until now, it was speculated that these came to the US via Grenada in 1983. But mine pre-dates that era. A card file from the collector, who died in 1975, states that he bought the gun in 1970 for $47. I have bought several other guns from this collection - most are documented as being acquired from the late 1950's through 1971. So, the timeline for this firearm pre-dates the common theories.

My guess? It was a special purchase through a European connection, as the collector was also an FFL. Another possibility - a Vietnam cache capture of new firearms, but no reference to the source in the files will pinpoint the origin.

I've been eying this particular gun for over a month, waiting for the estate broker to research it and put a price on it. He obviously missed the Polish connection, as I bought it more in line with a documented original PU price. But I still paid enough!

I also picked up a pair of early Mauser Cavalry Carbines that I'll present later when I get them cleaned up for pics.

ok, I may be missing something, how is it Polish? I thought those were all Russian marks.

Did you check under the scope mount to verify it was original to the rifle, not US mod?

Sorry, I missed your question earlier as I was typing my reply. The only Polish identification mark is with the cartouche on the right side of the beech buttstock, much like the Polish M44's . The rest is obviously all Russian.

I will likely take the scope mount off, just to clean and preserve. But it has been confirmed on the very particular http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php forum that the scope and mounts are not reproductions.

Pic of the diamond cartouche.

Polish_PU_004.jpg

you, sir, have a knack for picking up some rare birds. Congrats on snaring this beautiful rifle. It looks so good that it's hard to believe that it's not a reproduction. What a gem.

OK how much will you sell it for????? PLEASE!!!!
Nice score. I have seen only one in similar condition and that was at a Gunshow some years back. I have the new Mosin collectors book and will see if i can find any additional info for you. Again great score.

If you could find any info on production numbers or source of import, it would be nice, Fred. There is little to no information available on the net. Selling? Uh, er, um..... I just got it! Now the search for a Polish scope cover and sling begin.

Three of the five that I can find pictures of them on forums are 1944 Izhevsks. The others may be 44's, but there are no pics of the barrel shank. Three have the serials on the scope mount, and two do not. All have the Factory 297 (Yoshkar-Ola) optics. All likely have the previous Russian scope numbers on the left lower shank. All look like they were just made yesterday.

Now my dilemma turns to finding a PU shooter. This one is likely getting its own case.

If you could find any info on production numbers or source of import, it would be nice, Fred. There is little to no information available on the net. Selling? Uh, er, um..... I just got it! Now the search for a Polish scope cover and sling begin.

Three of the five that I can find pictures of them on forums are 1944 Izhevsks. The others may be 44's, but there are no pics of the barrel shank. Three have the serials on the scope mount, and two do not. All have the Factory 297 (Yoshkar-Ola) optics. All likely have the previous Russian scope numbers on the left lower shank. All look like they were just made yesterday.

Now my dilemma turns to finding a PU shooter. This one is likely getting its own case.

1944, 3'620'000 were made, largest production year ever.

well, I don't know about the T mark in a rhombus. Poles like rhombus for marks, but I never seen T in any of the books.

Terance Lapin, writes that
"91/30 was used by Poles, generally in the form of Soviet snayperskaya, which they refurbished. Polish M1891/30 sniper rifles can be identified by the mounting rails which are serial-numbered to the scope."

So that all sounds very plausible!

What I mean about the scope, many US dealers had original milsurp scopes fitted to regular Mosins, to get higher price. If you take the scope off and look how rail is attached, you can tell if this is a factory job or not.

Beautiful gun, need to wipe my drooling. ; )

Thanks Boris,

My scope rail has no numbers, per the Lapin passage. My only real reference has come from http://mosinnagant.net/sniper section/sniperphotos19.asp, where Vic Thomas writes:

m/91-30 Polish PU sniper with it’s mount numbered to the gun. Not all but many Polish PU snipers exhibit this unique feature. Note the addition of the Polish property marking "WZR" and the scopes refurbishment in 1960. The rifles are almost all rebuilt and restocked Russian WW2 era rifles fit with Polish rebuilt scopes and or mounts. The light colored beech wood stocks are very distinctive and attractive.

I did, however discover an MRZ mark (ink) on the inside of the stock.

Polish_receiver_001.jpg

A couple more cartouches around the cleaning rod lug. Notice an inletted milled slot in front of the lug, in which the cleaning rod can be visible when inserted. Approx 2" long, 3/8" wide.

Polish_receiver_002.jpg

I also took some pics of the mounting screws, and receiver features.

Polish_receiver_005.jpg

Polish_receiver_003.jpg

Polish_receiver_004.jpg

Polish_receiver_006.jpg

I was hoping to find something incredibly remarkable, besides an absolutely new gun..... but at least it all looks factory.

Martin, that gun is obviously a fake and you obviously got taken advantage of. If I were you I would never buy another gun from that estate again. I think you should give me the phone # of that estate agent so I can set them straight. ;)

Last edited:
My wife let me borrow a real camera, Nikon with 55mm lens, to do this gun its justice. My rinky-dink Olympic just can't give it details and color balance. This is what it really looks like.

pu_pol_001.jpg

pu_pol_003.jpg

Martin08 I am glad I met you because I know you are human. You have found so many gems I was not sure you were of this planet.

I dont even care for mosins that much (sorry Fred) and I love this one!!!!

Beautiful absolutely Beautiful.....
Tom

And it was a pleasure meeting you on the firing line too, Tom. How's your shoulder? One can only take just so many rounds of 30-06!

And glad we got that Yugo SKS back together.

Back
Top Bottom