• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poll: Right To Carry On Campus

Poll

Story

Student Groups Divided On Right To Carry Guns On Campus
By JESSE LEAVENWORTH | | The Hartford Courant
April 17, 2009

Philip Axelrod and Sara Adler say they don't want to be defenseless targets.

"There are people out there who are off-balance and who shoot up schools," Axelrod, 20, said. "I don't want to be caught up in a situation where I have to lay down and die."

Axelrod, a University of Connecticut student, and Adler, who attends Central Connecticut State University, are leading "empty holster" protests next week at both schools to lobby for the right to carry concealed handguns on campus. Although state law permits eligible people 21 and older to carry handguns, student conduct codes at both universities prohibit possession of firearms on campus.

The weeklong protest — which launches Monday, the 10th anniversary of the mass killings at Columbine High School in Colorado — is being held to raise awareness about a national organization, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus [ www.concealedcampus.org]. The group advocates self-defense and seeks to form a front line against another slaughter like the one at Virginia Tech in 2007.

But opponents of heat-packing students, including a national organization called Students for Gun Free Schools [studentsforgunfree- schools.org], say colleges and guns don't mix. To improve security, the group advocates better monitoring of student behavior and improved screening of gun buyers, among other steps.

The debate over guns on campus arises at a time when gun sales and applications for permits are skyrocketing across the nation. In November 2008, according to the FBI, about 1.5 million background checks were conducted for gun licenses in the U.S., up 42 percent from the same period a year earlier. The trend continued in January and February. Many gun buyers have cited fears that the Obama administration will try to erode Second Amendment rights.

Bills to allow concealed weapons on college campuses are being debated in Texas and Missouri. Opponents, however, point to federal statistics showing that college campuses are among the safest places in any community. Crime figures for individual schools are available at the FBI's website, www.fbi.gov, and from a nonprofit organization that advocates campus safety, Security on Campus [ www.securityoncampus.org]. The organization cites statistics that show campus murder is rare and violent crime in general on the nation's campuses declined by 9 percent from 1994 to 2004.

That relatively safe environment, according to a statement on the Gun Free Schools website, "would be endangered by the presence of concealed handguns for the following reasons:

• Concealed handguns would detract from a healthy learning environment.

• More guns on campus would create additional risk for students.

• Shooters would not be deterred by concealed-carry permit holders.

• Concealed-carry permit holders are not always 'law-abiding' citizens.

• Concealed-carry permit holders are not required to have any law enforcement training."

Advocates, however, say prohibiting lawful gun owners from carrying weapons on campus actually creates a free killing zone for malcontents such as Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech student who committed suicide after fatally shooting 32 fellow students and wounding 25 others on April 16, 2007.

"We're protesting gun-free zones that offer easy access for mass murderers," Axelrod said.

Students for Concealed Carry makes these points on its website:

• Gun permit holders are less likely than nonlicensed people to commit violent crimes.

• The organization does not seek to arm all students; members want only the same right to carry guns on campus that they have at shopping malls, movie theaters and other public places.

• The 11 colleges and universities that allow concealed guns on campus — nine in Utah and one each in West Virginia and Colorado — "have not seen any resulting incidents of gun violence, gun accidents or gun thefts."

• Anyone who wants to carry a gun on most campuses can do so freely because there are no metal detectors, controlled entry points or other security measures to stop them.

As for the argument that campus and local police should handle any gun violence, both Axelrod and Adler say they believe police are dedicated to protecting students, but officers cannot be everywhere at once. The students say they want the ability to protect themselves in an immediate crisis.

"I would like to be prepared for it," Adler said, "just in case."

Should students and teachers be allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus?

Yes (1473 responses)

78.8%

No (396 responses)

21.2%

1869 total responses

WOW, those results are the exact opposite of what I expected...

Are the Students for Gun Free Schools serious? Do people even think things through sometimes or do they just let their emotions do the deciding?

Anti-gun laws are not the least bit convincing to me...or anyone with half a brain.

BTW, the Students for Concealed Carry have a great website. Those images on the front page are great.

Yes (1473 responses)

78.8%

No (396 responses)

21.2%

1869 total responses

WOW, those results are the exact opposite of what I expected...

Me too... it was pretty much 50/50 most of the day.

they seem to honestly think that a sign that says "gun free zone" is going to keep them safe, yet the person that actaully has no criminal history and cares enough to protect themselves with a firearm is the equivialant to bin Laden

Yes (1752 responses)

81.1%

No (407 responses)

18.9%

2159 total responses (Results not scientific)

:) me happy with the results so far

I seem to remember after a shooting on some college campus,not to long ago that the school had changed it's policy and would allow concealed carry.

Most people my age don't get that a single cop at a school or a check in desk are not going to save your ass during a shooting or prevent a shooting. These kids just see "gun free zone" and think everything is dandy. Never mind that 100% of gun control is pure crap aimed at keeping people defenseless and the government in control.

I had a co-working tell me that the only thing preventing a school shooting was "A teen getting a hold of a handgun" and the idea of it was "insane" . Last time I knew the only thing preventing any of us from killing people is our conscience and morals. people are innocent until proved guilty, so lets not treat everybody like potential criminals just because they lawfully posses a gun.

The hole argument that a citizen could not respond to a shooting total none sense, a normal person on NES shoots more than most police do. they NRA also offers courses for CCW situations.

Last edited:
#

Yes (3583 responses)

89.4%

No (423 responses)

10.6%

* 4006 total responses (Results not scientific)

Not sure it means too much, but it feels good to vote.

Just voted.

Yes (3568 responses)

89.4%

No (423 responses)

10.6%

3991 total responses

they seem to honestly think that a sign that says "gun free zone" is going to keep them safe, yet the person that actaully has no criminal history and cares enough to protect themselves with a firearm is the equivialant to bin Laden

No kidding.

IMHO being a college student, and an avid gun owner I would be totally for this, however with the exception made that if a student would like to carry that they pass a range qualification.

IMHO being a college student, and an avid gun owner I would be totally for this, however with the exception made that if a student would like to carry that they pass a range qualification.

And who, pray tell, would administer said test? What's acceptable? What's failure?

Peaceable, non-felons need to be able to carry. PERIOD. End of discussion. As soon as all gun-owners, including the Fudds realize this, we can have peace.

OK, how about we make you take a English test before you can exercise you right to free speech?

It angers me that I can't carry on campus. Bothers the hell out of me. Since the campus police in the school I go to are unarmed. The board of trustees is supposed to vote on the campus police becoming armed, but have yet to do so even though the college community pretty much supports it according to the college's report on arming the campus police.

Even if I could legally carry on campus. I am in the Nursing program and part of its requirements to be in the program do not allow me to carry any weapons. So it would be a moot point.

Even with armed campus police, as demonstrated with Virginia Tech Police who tried the best they could people still died.

I can't even legally carry O.C. spray on campus. One of the most upsetting things I ever heard a liberal say about women and rape is to carry a condom that your rapist can use as he rapes you!. Absolutely not acceptable!!!

The only way one can carry on campus is if they are an LEO. Which would be a moot point if your in the nursing program, nursing program administrators will not budge and allow you to stay in the program while carrying. Or if you get permission from the President or Police Chief, which is HIGHLY unlikely unless maybe you have a letter from your future person wishing to do you harm.

If you have a permit to carry concealed then you should be able to carry anywhere on campus!

BTW the law doesn't say you can't lock your gun up in your car on campus. But then again there is no case law on this and you could be found unsuitable to have an FID/LTC if someone breaks in and steals your gun.

So to be safe stay away from any MA College or School Campus with any firearms.

My big question is what about Campus's with ATMs and the armored car guards who take/deliver cash to and from the ATMs on campus. Technically are the armored car guards are breaking the law unless they have the written permission from the president or campus police chief?

Last edited:

Yes (4390 responses)

90.2%

No (476 responses)

9.8%

4866 total responses (Results not scientific)

Speaking of Oleg Volk and campus carry...

attachment.php

Attachments

• VT.jpg
    VT.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 43
I am just going to throw this out there as a talking point no one has brought up. I, like most people here I'm sure, went to college. College for most immature kids is a time to experiment and "expand their wings". The most horrifying thought to me is a drunk frat guy or group of guys who are partying and suddenly feel put down by some punk. They all reach for their new found freedom of a sidearm and start shooting. I've seen the very, very bad things that happen when you mix testosterone, alcohol, and girls. Common sense and moral judgment does not even enter their pea brains for a split second. It's kind of hard to remember anything if you black out 4 nights a week. I will go on record saying my roommate had an AK for a period of time in our party house (not a frat) and NOTHING happened. That was probably more due to his penchant for pot instead of beer, and he and his family growing up were avid shooters. We did have fun going to the range with it though.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom