• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Popular New England Repeaters

jeepchute

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looking to get a little more involved in HAM radio. Have a couple UV-82's to play with and a DMR radio is on the way. I am working to build the codeplug for the DMR radio but in that process I noticed that some analog repeaters I programmed several years ago have changed callsigns or just disappeared. So I started the process of reprogramming the analog HTs.

I am in Central MA ( FN42ci ) so Paxton (W1BIM) and all the locals are an obvious choice.

What other repeaters in New England are the most popular in there area so I can find the most popular ones when I travel around. I have heard that Wilbraham/Monson is good. What others are best for their area?

Once I get the recommendations, I'll be happy to post a chirp CSV for others to use.

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
To specify, Looking for 2M and 70cm. I do have the full list from New England Repeater Directory but space is limited so looking for coverage of most of New England through 1 popular repeater for each area.

So I’m on 2M and 70cm, and use the NER link posted above, while waiting for another antenna to come in for higher bands. All of the local repeaters peak at different points throughout the day/week, but it can be some of the same old crap everyday wit’s 80 year olds talking about life, people getting into the hobby and looking for guidance, and people into guns, woodworking, etc. Just play with the stations during the day/evening until you find something that works for you.

I was a fan of 146.640 (Waltham) and 146.670 (Quincy) but those seems to have had much less traffic recently. Some of that may be people going back to work after the pandemic and some of that may have to do with the holidays, but I still listen to their daytime traffic with some success.

640 is the local SkyWarn station, so I’m sure that’ll be lit up tomorrow night through Thursday.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the local repeaters peak at different points throughout the day/week, but it can be some of the same old crap everyday wit’s 80 year olds talking about life, ...
Don't knock it.
"Keep laughing and scratching".​
-- Si/W2QZJ/SK​

(Although, the 20m Rheumatism Net I heard
in the northern Catskills was pushing it...).

I was a fan of 146.640 (Waltham) and 146.670 (Quincy) but those seems to have had much less traffic recently...
I haven't commuted near there in well over a decade,
but I can't imagine what Waltham must sound like without Jim/K1UGM. [shocked]

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Monson repeater in Wilbraham is great. A great group of guys monitor this repeater. The repeater is a QSO repeater there are no NETs or other activitities only conversation. The group also gets together once a month for brunch/lunch.
N1HM

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Don't knock it.
"Keep laughing and scratching".​
-- Si/W2QZJ/SK​

(Although, the 20m Rheumatism Net I heard
in the northern Catskills was pushing it...).

I haven't commuted near there in well over a decade,
but I can't imagine what Waltham must sound like without Jim/K1UGM. [shocked]

There was a Jim on during the storm - is your friend a silent key? If so, I’m so sorry.

But has anyone else noticed the decreased activity on 640 recently? It’s like it’s rarely active. Even Jack in the Shack hasn’t been on. Were they upgrading their repeaters? I still get some traffic on 670 (Quincy), but I’m seeing more activity on some of the 145.xxx and 70cm bands.

The 640 SkyWarn was pretty quiet yesterday. I tried to send a couple of updates and got no response. Hope everything is good there.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
But has anyone else noticed the decreased activity on 640 recently? It’s like it’s rarely active.
Even Jack in the Shack hasn’t been on.

Before he got a shack, he used to be "Jack on the Wall", sitting out on a wall near the library on Broadway in Everett with his HT.

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

mcb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
K1SMH - Attleboro - 2m ... the Sturdy Memorial Hospital radio club repeater is very active but offline at the moment. The tower folded in the recent wind storms and awaiting repair. I have no doubt it will be restored to its former glory.

Attachments

• 06DE8F87-1960-42FA-8F3D-968B615E4BF0.jpeg
    06DE8F87-1960-42FA-8F3D-968B615E4BF0.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
K1SMH - Attleboro - 2m ... the Sturdy Memorial Hospital radio club repeater is very active but offline at the moment. The tower folded in the recent wind storms and awaiting repair. I have no doubt it will be restored to its former glory.

I guess it wasn't as Sturdy as they thought.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yow.

Q: Does the club own the tower,
or are they piggybacking on the hospital's tower?

(I know that Sturdy Memorial has perhaps the biggest ham support group
of any in the state, but the club might still be piggybacking).

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0
Yow.

Q: Does the club own the tower,
or are they piggybacking on the hospital's tower?

(I know that Sturdy Memorial has perhaps the biggest ham support group
of any in the state, but the club might still be piggybacking).
The interesting story of how the club was started, the current issues with the tower and future repair can all be found here:

It looks like the tower is co-owned between the hospital and the club.

I wonder if CARE funds could be applied for here, as this club is an integral part of EMA in that area?

I was a member of this club until we mostly moved North. It's a good group of guys and gals save one . . . The RAT recently joined that club!

mcb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The interesting story of how the club was started, the current issues with the tower and future repair can all be found here:

It looks like the tower is co-owned between the hospital and the club.

I wonder if CARE funds could be applied for here, as this club is an integral part of EMA in that area?

I was a member of this club until we mostly moved North. It's a good group of guys and gals save one . . . The RAT recently joined that club!

Lol the RAT ... maybe I‘ll maintain my distance.

The last I heard they were going to apply for CARE funds or similar grant.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.6%
71   1   0
That scared you all the way to NH!
No but the bastard had the unmitigated gall to call me and tell me that he was joining and asking me not to block him. I wasn't able to attend meetings at that time (or now) so there was no way to block him.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but the bastard had the unmitigated gall to call me and tell me that he was joining and asking me not to block him. I wasn't able to attend meetings at that time (or now) so there was no way to block him.
Ironically, the one human I can think of to blackball from our gun club,
is a ham. A ham who even might be an anti.
But a ham with toxic personality defects.

I pray he doesn't apply to our gun club...

Top Bottom