Popular New England Repeaters

Yeah, someone else chimed in and suggested the NH guy try Paxton. I programmed it into my radio but I couldn't hit it. Granted I'm currently using a mag mount antenna on a cookie sheet in the corner of the room, so there are some limitations :) I'm hoping to remedy that before winter but we're burning time.

I doubt you'll see another repeater go up any time soon. Even Greylock that serves a pretty wide area is almost silent all day everyday except for the occasional kerchunk. I've been monitoring it all day every day this week and hear almost nothing. Even the nets seem to have dried up, which is really odd.

Just curious. Anybody know current repeater technology? If one were to put up a repeater in 2023, what are we talking about? Is digital something to either insist upon or at least consider? What are the brands/models currently available, and approximate costs on those? Way beyond my knowledge.

I'd think if you were putting one up today you'd want DMR and digipeater in addition to analog.

I don't know if this is what people use, but it at least gives you a flavor for price. I think the real cost is the rest of the infrastructure. Antenna(s), cabling, land, electric, a small building, tower, and someone to maintain all of that. I bet you could get up to $100k without trying too hard. You could probably rent space on an existing tower.

P.S. Thanks for that firetower link. That could be a fun activity to go up on them and make contacts. Or next to them if you can't go on them.

I don't know if this is what people use, but it at least gives you a flavor for price. I think the real cost is the rest of the infrastructure. Antenna(s), cabling, land, electric, a small building, tower, and someone to maintain all of that. I bet you could get up to $100k without trying too hard. You could probably rent space on an existing tower.
I was thinking more along the line of finding an existing location to "donate" the space to a non-profit club. This would eliminate all but repeater, antennas, cabling, electric (to equipment if not already in an existing space). Maybe the state's Quabbin Observation Tower, for example. I'm just talking out my butt, so keep that in mind. Just trying to get an idea of what is behind all this stuff on the repeater side, since nobody ever really talks about it.

Oh, and what are the specs on the Greylock repeater? I know a lot of it is purely the height of the thing, but curious if it is one of these Bridgecoms you sent over, and also power output. Thanks again.

I have no idea what the equipment is, but I think it only runs 60w these days. It used to run a lot more but I guess there was interference with another repeater so they dialed it back. But having a tower at ~3,500' does wonder for your range. I think the tower is taller than the monument that's up there, which is also pretty tall.

@Coyote33 have you thought about just putting up a 3,500' tower at home?

have you thought about just putting up a 3,500' tower at home?
:p:p:p

The repeater questions were not for me.

My home setup is OK to North, South, and West. East is up and over a hill. For the record, I'm fine with that. This is all with crappy antennas. With a good antenna above roof, I might even hit Warren or more (Mt.Tom & Greylock?).

Thanks for all the good info, reading, and inspiration/ideas.

:p:p:p

The repeater questions were not for me.

My home setup is OK to North, South, and West. East is up and over a hill. For the record, I'm fine with that. This is all with crappy antennas. With a good antenna above roof, I might even hit Warren or more (Mt.Tom & Greylock?).

Thanks for all the good info, reading, and inspiration/ideas.
If you're gonna flint out on the tower then fine [wink]

I never looked at VHF antennas until recently, but I always wondered why they made really tall antennas for 2m. I'm still not sure exactly what goes on inside the fiberglas housing, but I believe they effectively pack a few 5/8 wave antennas in there and do some magic with phasing to get them to play together. I'm looking at a Comet GP-15, which is a tri-band (70c, 2m, 6m) antenna and is 8' tall. I'd like to get it up before winter, but I've been spending like a drunken sailor lately so I'm trying to be good.

But for 2m/70cm there are options that give you some gain. For example the GP-9 is ~10' tall and has the following performance specs.
  • 2M: 6.5dBi 5/8 wave x2
  • 70cm: 9.2dBi 5/8 wave x 5
It's worth noting that using dBi is a bit of a marketing math trick. For an ideal dipole 0dBd = 2.15dBi, so these are 4.35dBd and 7.05dBd. For marketing they like to use dBi because it gives a bigger number. But some extra gain and elevation might just give your signal enough oomph to hit another repeater.

I don't know enough about VHF/UHF to know for sure, but my gut says more height is better than more gain. How much more? Couldn't say.

I don't know enough about VHF/UHF to know for sure, but my gut says more height is better than more gain. How much more? Couldn't say.
Seems like a lot of people say that. There are some websites that give a profile of line of sight.

If you're gonna flint out on the tower then fine [wink]

I never looked at VHF antennas until recently, but I always wondered why they made really tall antennas for 2m. I'm still not sure exactly what goes on inside the fiberglas housing, but I believe they effectively pack a few 5/8 wave antennas in there and do some magic with phasing to get them to play together. I'm looking at a Comet GP-15, which is a tri-band (70c, 2m, 6m) antenna and is 8' tall. I'd like to get it up before winter, but I've been spending like a drunken sailor lately so I'm trying to be good.

But for 2m/70cm there are options that give you some gain. For example the GP-9 is ~10' tall and has the following performance specs.
  • 2M: 6.5dBi 5/8 wave x2
  • 70cm: 9.2dBi 5/8 wave x 5
It's worth noting that using dBi is a bit of a marketing math trick. For an ideal dipole 0dBd = 2.15dBi, so these are 4.35dBd and 7.05dBd. For marketing they like to use dBi because it gives a bigger number. But some extra gain and elevation might just give your signal enough oomph to hit another repeater.

Not to step on you, but the GP-9 is 18 feet tall.

20231019_174833.jpg

And it works great, even temporarily mounted here. I can't wait to get it up on my roof.

That baby looks sweet. That tripod has to be every bit of 10' itself. I'm a dumb ass, I meant GP-6 was 10' tall. In fact I even linked to the GP-6, but spelled it wrong.

Crikies, dem gainz:

Gain & Wave:
  • 2M: 8.5dBi 5/8 wave x3
  • 70cm: 11.9dBi 5/8 wave x 8

My GP-15 should be here Thursday. We'll see if I can get it on the house this weekend. If my calculations are correct I won't have any advantage over the mag mount antenna on a cookie sheet in the dining room when I'm blasting all my gainz directly into the mountains all around me. I think there are some 6m FM guys who chat regularly up north of me I might be able to worm in on.

The GP-15 is a step or two behind that in the gainz department...

Gain & Wave:
  • 6M: 3.0dBi 5/8 wave
  • 2M: 6.2dBi 5/8 wave x2
  • 70cm: 8.6dBi 5/8 wave x4

That baby looks sweet. That tripod has to be every bit of 10' itself. I'm a dumb ass, I meant GP-6 was 10' tall. In fact I even linked to the GP-6, but spelled it wrong.

Crikies, dem gainz:

Gain & Wave:
  • 2M: 8.5dBi 5/8 wave x3
  • 70cm: 11.9dBi 5/8 wave x 8

My GP-15 should be here Thursday. We'll see if I can get it on the house this weekend. If my calculations are correct I won't have any advantage over the mag mount antenna on a cookie sheet in the dining room when I'm blasting all my gainz directly into the mountains all around me. I think there are some 6m FM guys who chat regularly up north of me I might be able to worm in on.

The GP-15 is a step or two behind that in the gainz department...

Gain & Wave:
  • 6M: 3.0dBi 5/8 wave
  • 2M: 6.2dBi 5/8 wave x2
  • 70cm: 8.6dBi 5/8 wave x4
Yeah, that tripod tower is a 10 footer. I'm contemplating bending and cutting the legs to make it level on my metal salt box roof, but I'll probably just chimney mount the GP9 and save the tower for something else.

Or add a little length to one leg. Or if you put it at the peak couldn't you just make it not exactly centered and it would be level? I'm also not a fan of putting holes in a roof that doesn't leak.

I've heard bad things about chimney mounts, but that could wives' tales for all I know.

Don't go too high with that beast or you'll have to register with the FAA and put a light on it.

Most repeaters are usually old repurposed commercial or public safety repeaters, from what I have seen. Even used it is usually more reliable than the ham specific repeaters. They are also way better at rejecting interference if you are at a busy site. I manage a few repeaters in the Metro West area and we use Motorola Quantar repeaters. This is a public safety grade repeater. They are capable of P25 digital modes also. If you want DMR most use new or used commercial grade repeaters. There are also plenty of home made repeaters with two commercial mobiles linked together with a controller types also.

but I'll probably just chimney mount the GP9 and save the tower for something else.
I've heard bad things about chimney mounts, but that could wives' tales for all I know.
Before I go and do anything, I need to know options.

A chimney mount would work well in my case, but I don't want to damage the chimney, house, or anything radio related.

I have some of those satellite mounts that are shaped like a J, that I was thinking of mounting on the side of the house, which is just under a 4-6 inch overhang at the end of the house. I am trying to find a 6-12 foot aluminum pole that is just under 2 inches, to fit into that mount/pipe. I have a sawed off piece of aluminum pool pole, but it is a little too skinny to fit nice. I want something that's a friction fit, and then just drill both and set it with a screw.

Does it need to be aluminum? I used a fence post from Home Depot. 1-5/8" is plenty sturdy.
I have no doubt a lot of steel posts/poles will be sturdy. I was also looking for something not quite as heavy, as I would be attaching it to the side of my house.

Is that a public repeater? If so, I was not aware of that. Is it 2 meters?

Need more info! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom