Port Surplus

Hi gang! I just blasted through a battlepack of Port Surplus and was curious if it's able to be reloaded. I saved the brass as I'm stockpiling for a future press purchase and was curious. While I'm at it, can you entertain a reloading newbie question by guiding me as to exaclty how to tell if brass is reload worthy? Thanks! [cheers]

Two important things:

It must be brass, and it must be Boxer-primed; if so, it's reloadable. If you had any neck splits on the first firing, I'd scrap the whole lot.

Other than that, go on reputation (ask around, like you're doing) and experience. Any time I come across some brass with a new headstamp, I separate it and load it, and carefully check the results.

After 35 years of shooting, I am asking what now must be the dumbest question I have ever asked. Perhaps ignorance was bliss all these years, but here goes: gulp: How can I tell if it's Beridan or Boxer? I'm sitting here staring at a 69 Lake City and yesterdays Port and I'm having a hard time figuring it out...

After 35 years of shooting, I am asking what now must be the dumbest question I have ever asked. Perhaps ignorance was bliss all these years, but here goes: gulp: How can I tell if it's Beridan or Boxer? I'm sitting here staring at a 69 Lake City and yesterdays Port and I'm having a hard time figuring it out...

Look into the case, you need good light.

1 flash hole=boxer

2 holes=berdan

While you can reload Berdan brass, it's a pain and Berdan primers are pretty much impossible to find. I throw my brass in the club's brass recycling bucket for sale to the scrap yard.

Back
Top Bottom