• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Posession of Preban mags in CT as a non resident

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Have a question about mags in CT. I am a MA resident and i have a CT pistol permit because i live right on the boarder. I own a few preban glock mags that iv had for about a year. Am i legally able to carry these if i dip into CT once in a while? The only answers i ever find in my research pertains to actual residents of CT and the whole grandfather clause thing from 6-7 years ago. TIA!

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Have a question about mags in CT. I am a MA resident and i have a CT pistol permit because i live right on the boarder. I own a few preban glock mags that iv had for about a year. Am i legally able to carry these if i dip into CT once in a while? The only answers i ever find in my research pertains to actual residents of CT and the whole grandfather clause thing from 6-7 years ago. TIA!

I assume when you say pre-ban you also mean >10 round capacity. If that’s the case, then no you cannot bring them, loaded or unloaded, into CT unless you registered them with DESPP. If you did, then they can only be loaded to 10 regardless of max capacity.

PA 13-3 , passed in 2013, after Sandy Hook does not have grandfathering.
You had to declare standard capacity mags by 1/1/14.

If you didn't declare them, even pre-ban mags are illegal to possess.
But wait there is more.

Even if you did declare them, its illegal to carry with more than 10 rounds.
But. . . . . if you did declare them and decide to carry them illegally, its only a non-criminal infraction if you are caught. So the risks are low.
However, if you didn't declare the, carrying a standard capacity mag loaded with more than 10 rounds is a felony.

Simple huh?

One itneresting thing that was lost on many people is that you didn't have to be a CT resident to register an AW or declare a MAG. So a MA resident could have set things up to bring standard cap mags and AWs into CT legally if they registered / declared them.

Back
Top Bottom