Possible Ammo Import Ban

Awesome,I'll be a millionaire !

Good point. Note to self: At least for a while, only practice with calibers not listed in that article. I didn't see 7.62x54R there, but I suppose that would be banned too? I'm a bit surprised to see .223 listed although some is made in other countries. Regardless, banning 5.56 will cause a huge price increase even in US-made .223. That's gonna suck since I love my AR15 and need to practice with it.

No ban on 5.45x39? [grin]

I have a buddy getting all skittish over HR 45. I keep telling him that I would be more concerned in the immediate term with an executive order import ban especially on ammo similar to the ban on Chinese ammo and firearm imports.

They could pull that with Russian imports at least first with Putin and Russia becoming a little more belligerent as of late. The Eastern European NATO allies like Bulgaria, Romania, Poland etc could cry the blues of loosing hard cash exports so may be spared in the short term.

US ammo manufacturers would love it as it is simply protectionism for them.

I have a fixed amount of outrage that I can expend and I will keep it inside until something comes down the pike that isn't a half-baked, 6-degrees-of-separation, internet rumor.

I'm reading this: http://www.shootingwire.com/

And I don't quite get it. The article is not well written as it's not possible to discern whether they are talking about the US or Canadian state department. I can read into the article if I want but it's less than clear.

No Valentine Coming From the North
Despite the fact that tomorrow's supposed to be the day to show love and affection, it looks like Canadian firearms enthusiasts aren't much in love with parts of the government right now.

The reason? A report making the rounds in Canada that says officials have it on "good authority" that our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.

Ammos listed for this rumored ban include the .50BMG, 7.62x39mm Soviet, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester, 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. Additionally, we're hearing that an expansion of this proposed ban might be broadened to include the 6.8mm SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP- among others.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance. Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.

Additionally, Canadian officials tell me they are hearing rumblings of blanket export bans on certain firearms to Canada and the attachment of DSP-83 End Use Certificates (with their $250 Export Fee) attached to all other types of American firearms.

Should that happen, opposition leaders remind Canadian firearms owners, it will not affect European Union imports. Firearms and ammo exported from Europe would be unaffected- and certainly at far more appealing prices than comparable U-S firearms. In effect, the State Department would be hammering gun manufacturers, distributors and exporters in the United States while simultaneously making firearms -and ammunition - ownership and acquisition more difficult for Canadians. To antigun politicians, this must smell like roses. To pro-gun politicians in Canada, it smells fishy, and they're trying to drum up awareness on both sides of the border because it is "still being fought and the battle isn't over yet."

But it looks like an indirect campaign against firearms and ammo may have already begun.

You read it first here - and we'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, back in the contiguous 48, four states are considering removing their bans on open-carry firearms. Texas, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Arkansas are each considering legislation that would remove the ban on open-carry handguns.

Surprisingly, open carry is legal in all but six states, including those where concealed carry is not. The other states that ban open carry are New York and Florida.

As expected, Paul Helmke of the Brady Center has offered his opinion on why any carry is a bad idea. "…the more guns you have in a situation," Helmke says in USA Today, "the more likely you are to have gun violence."

Nice quote, despite the fact that facts prove exactly the opposite.

These four states didn't suddenly decide to abolish their rules against open carry. In one case, Texas legislators were motivated by a groundswell of public opinion. 55,000 signatures on a petition and $25,000 in contributions for an ad campaign helped open eyes in Austin. South Carolina has a measure supported by thirty-seven legislators, while only Representative Mike Ritze (Rep.) is listed on the Oklahoma bill filed earlier this month.

No matter which side of the border you're watching, we'll keep you posted.

--Jim Shepherd

This may just be some sort of rumor, but I've been saying all along the biggest threat from Obama is abuse of power via executive order, or a variety of problems coming from overzealous enforcement via BATFE now that Holder is the boss of the DOJ.

Legislation takes time and creates smoke. On the other hand, those two a**h***s could cause us serious problems with the stroke of a pen.

-Mike

Legislation takes time and creates smoke. On the other hand, those two a**h***s could cause us serious problems with the stroke of a pen.
[crying] Unfortunately, this is the most damaging part of W's legacy... He learned to pander to the left from Clinton. From him, they will learn a new level of abuse of power... [thinking]

Watching Paulson, Bernanke and crew operate last year was really terrifying... Now we hand that unlimited power to the moonbats... They might be crazy, but it would be a mistake to assume they are stupid...

A Liberal is in power,the first rule of Liberalism is tax your subjects to death for the common good.

IMO,before any bans take place, a insane tax will be subjected upon the items in question.

Money gained from the ammo tax will be used to create a "Victims of inner city violence fund",of which a new commission will be created.Out of every dollar,$.04 will actually go to the fund,and the remaining $.96 will go to the administering of the fund.

Then Obama will find out about all the abuse and fraud relating to the fund,and order a higher tax on guns to offset the money being 'lost' from the ammo tax fund.

A Liberal is in power,the first rule of Liberalism is tax your subjects to death for the common good.

IMO,before any bans take place, a insane tax will be subjected upon the items in question.

Money gained from the ammo tax will be used to create a "Victims of inner city violence fund",of which a new commission will be created.Out of every dollar,$.04 will actually go to the fund,and the remaining $.96 will go to the administering of the fund.

Then Obama will find out about all the abuse and fraud relating to the fund,and order a higher tax on guns to offset the money being 'lost' from the ammo tax fund.

I wouldn't be surprised.

From the article:

Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.

I just want to say - and I've refrained from swearing on the board - that I f***ing hate Obama and all his minions and fanatical supporters. [angry2] Okay, end of swearing.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance.

I hope everyone understands how we MUST to respond to this. If we give them an inch they will take a mile.

I'll hold off on making too harsh a judgment until I see the news from a source like the NRA or similar. But...it scares the poop out of me, and was what I was worried about. Front door assaults on RKBA are unlikely, more likely to be backdoor crap like this. Even if the administration itself isn't aware, the cronies that surround it surely are. [crying][sad][frown][sad2]

The market is way ahead of the rumor mill on this issue. Reloading supplies of all kinds in .223 and HD handgun calibers are out of stock at nearly every outlet I've seen on the net, and prices are going crazy.

I'm thinking of getting into reloading, not so much to save money as for availability. If the gov't cuts off industrial supply, ammunition will become a cottage industry in the US just as it is in Pakistan. In fact it could become the new gold standard. Can't protect your gold without your gun.

It looks like it was just FUD: http://www.shootingwire.com/archives/2009-02-18

Last Friday, we reported that Canadian authorities had sent word of a United States State Department proposal that would ban several ammo calibers sale by United States companies to Canada. It's safe to say that the story kicked off quite a storm on both sides of the border.

In Canada, calls to their Parliament protested the idea that whole classes of ammo could, effectively, be stopped at the border. Here in the US, it taught me to be a good bit more exact with the concepts of import and export. The intent of the story was simple - to let our readers know the United States Department of State was considering a ban on the export of US ammo in several calibers to Canada.

Although the .50 BMG, 7.62 x39mm Soviet, 7.61 x51 NATO, .308 Winchester, 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington are considered by some to be purely military rounds, they are, in fact, very effective for hunting anything from varmints to polar bears. The US State Department, however, seemed to be trying to use the military application of those rounds and classify them as for military sales only. Technically, it's not a "gun ban" or even an "ammo ban" but a "reclassification" - but the effect would be the same. Those calibers of ammo would be restricted export items for American companies.

Another whispered action, the requirement that all firearms require DSP-83 End Use Certificates (and the $250 export fee per firearm) was also apparently couched as another reclassification. Again, not a ban, but a very effective "non-ban" on gun sales.

Fortunately, we're starting to hear some denials of these ideas - from both sides of the border. The denials are coming from some normally anti-gun politicians in Canada, leading our sources in Parliament to suspect the protests from Canadian gun owners had an impact. As expected, our officials "can't comment on something that's only been proposed" but it seems the idea may be losing steam. And it should.

Another story from Washington is getting its share of attention. President Obama's administration is defending - at least for now - the rule enacted by President Bush in his final days as president that allows concealed carry in national parks. That's not an unconditional bit of support, but it's jaw-dropping for many of us who have a hard time seeing the current administration supporting anything to do with firearms.

The qualification on the support is based on the fact the administration is also looking to determine whether the Bush measure follows environmental filing procedures. It's a small detail, but one the Brady Campaign, the National Parks Conservation Association and the National Coalition of National Park Service Retirees have used as a basis for a lawsuit seeking to overturn the rule. They argue the regulation was enacted without the requisite environmental review under the National Environmental Policy Act. They also proffered the position that the concealed carry rule might prevent some visitors and school groups from going to the national parks.

The Justice Department filed a response that says the new rule "does not alter the environmental status quo, and will not have any significant impacts on public health and safety."

Despite that response, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has asked for an internal assessment of whether the measure might, in fact, have any environmental impacts that need be taken into account.

We'll keep you posted.

- Jim Shepherd

Interesting. Very interesting - especially the part about the 'reclassification' of ammo.

Those calibers of ammo would be restricted export items for American companies.

How much ammo does the US export? I honestly don't know.

Thank you for posting.

Back
Top Bottom