• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Possible EOTech problems

I'll probably send my oldest XPS2 in for a refund, but if the reviews on newly produced units are good, I am tempted to use my vouchers on a new EXPS3.

Good question -- on a related note, did you ship in the original packaging, or just bubble-wrap and boxed?

I haven't filled out a claim yet for either. I bought both my EOtechs used, so no original packaging for me. If I do send any back, I will probably just send back the 511 as the borders of the glass look as if they might be wearing in. I love my XPS2 and it's in near perfect condition.

Odds are the problem won't affect you unless you go out in very cold/super hot temps. I'm considering getting another one of their sights since they paid me back more than I paid for mine. I returned a 512 and am considering and XPS2

Super cold and hot temps don't affect me as well but it would be nice to get back $539 MSRP for the 511 when I only paid 195 for it lol. i will probably get a Primary Arms Prism scope or a 1-4x and put the rest of the $$$ in the bank.

Last edited:
Super cold and hot temps don't affect me as well but it would be nice to get back $539 MSRP for the 511 when I only paid 195 for it lol. i will probably get a Primary Arms Prism scope or a 1-4x and put the rest of the $$$ in the bank.

Folks are under a mis-interpretation that this only happens at sub-zero to boiling hot temp swings.

Ask yourself this:

- Do you shoot outdoors when it is in the 40sF?
- Do you also shoot the same gun when it is 70-80F?

If you do this, you will get drift that won't revert back to where it was when you go back to the other temp.

For the price of an EOTech do you expect the performance of a cheap Chinese knock-off? Because that is what you are getting.

You get only one chance to get your money back, so choose wisely.

If on the fence, I suggest reading the Federal lawsuit that the US Gov't filed against them, it explains what they found and describes how bad the situation really is. I really liked my EOTech, but after reading the lawsuit, I gladly gave it up and got my money back.

Folks are under a mis-interpretation that this only happens at sub-zero to boiling hot temp swings.

Ask yourself this:

- Do you shoot outdoors when it is in the 40sF?
- Do you also shoot the same gun when it is 70-80F?

If you do this, you will get drift that won't revert back to where it was when you go back to the other temp.

For the price of an EOTech do you expect the performance of a cheap Chinese knock-off? Because that is what you are getting.

You get only one chance to get your money back, so choose wisely.

If on the fence, I suggest reading the Federal lawsuit that the US Gov't filed against them, it explains what they found and describes how bad the situation really is. I really liked my EOTech, but after reading the lawsuit, I gladly gave it up and got my money back.

I was under the impression it needed to be extreme conditions. But from what you are saying, if I zero my rifle in the 25 yard indoor range at the MRA at a comfortable 70 degrees and then go out to the 50 yard outdoor range in 40 degree temps, there will be a noticeable shift? Damn son. Didn't realize that. Could explain the time I had a bitch of a time getting that ****er zeroed in at an outdoor carbine course in cold raw temps.

Last edited:
For you guys who have sent in multiple optics; did you combine in same package or separate them out?

Same box.

I'll probably send my oldest XPS2 in for a refund, but if the reviews on newly produced units are good, I am tempted to use my vouchers on a new EXPS3.

Good question -- on a related note, did you ship in the original packaging, or just bubble-wrap and boxed?

USPS flat rate box w bubble wrap. I figure I'll find a use for the box.

I just received a court authorized notice in the mail that says if you are a current owner of certain EO-Tech holographic weapons sights, you could receive benefits under a class action settlement.

I was under the impression it needed to be extreme conditions. But from what you are saying, if I zero my rifle in the 25 yard indoor range at the MRA at a comfortable 70 degrees and then go out to the 50 yard outdoor range in 40 degree temps, there will be a noticeable shift? Damn son. Didn't realize that. Could explain the time I had a bitch of a time getting that ****er zeroed in at an outdoor carbine course in cold raw temps.

No extremes needed, regular New England temperature swings are enough. I turned in two Eotechs, one in service for 6 years, the other 3. Both rifles were regularly exposed to whatever ambient temps were throughout the year. The older one had reticle delamination, but it was the zero drift that convinced me to not use them again. I hadn't put the pieces together until reading about the DoD lawsuit & settlement, but when I reviewed those two rifle's maintenance logs every time the zero was checked, they had to be rezeroed. Pass, thanks. I have Chinese built crap that's held zero better.

Unfortunate, because they were my favorite sight. Replaced with an Aimpoint PRO and an SWFA 1-6x.

No extremes needed, regular New England temperature swings are enough. I turned in two Eotechs, one in service for 6 years, the other 3. Both rifles were regularly exposed to whatever ambient temps were throughout the year. The older one had reticle delamination, but it was the zero drift that convinced me to not use them again. I hadn't put the pieces together until reading about the DoD lawsuit & settlement, but when I reviewed those two rifle's maintenance logs every time the zero was checked, they had to be rezeroed. Pass, thanks. I have Chinese built crap that's held zero better.

Unfortunate, because they were my favorite sight. Replaced with an Aimpoint PRO and an SWFA 1-6x.

Well I think I've been convinced to send these back! Anyone have any experience with Trijicon's MRO or RX line?

USPS flat rate box w bubble wrap. I figure I'll find a use for the box.
I threw out the original foam a long time ago, I've been use the plastic case for holding boxes of ammo in my suitcase when flying.

That "will not revert to where it was" is the flaw that I consider unacceptable. All of this class of sight will shift zero with large temperature changes, but the shift should revert. Their own website explains the flaw pretty well:
EOTechInc said:
Will the HWS hold zero as temperature changes?

EOTech’s sights experience a point of impact shift away from the point of aim when the sight is exposed to a temperature different from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed. After zeroing the sight at or near ambient temperature (73°F), the zero position will shift during operating temperature changes. For sights manufactured after October 2016, the typical shift will be between approximately 1.4 and 1.8 minutes of angle (“MOA”). Due to manufacturing variations, however, a particular sight has the potential to shift a maximum of approximately 3.5 MOA at -4°F and 122°F. Sights manufactured prior to October 2016 have the potential to shift approximately +/- 5 MOA at -40°F and 122°F.

Due to thermal drift, sights may not return to zero. The sights have the potential of approximately a +/- 2 MOA zero shift upon return to ambient (73°F) after being exposed to any temperature between -40°F and 122°F

I just received a court authorized notice in the mail that says if you are a current owner of certain EO-Tech holographic weapons sights, you could receive benefits under a class action settlement.
Official website with details and the forms to file your claim: http://www.fostersettlement.com/

Damn, I should probably do this, but I literally zeroed my 512 several years ago, and was getting solid hits at 100 yds on steel just last week. I'm really torn because I love this optic.[frown]

Damn, I should probably do this, but I literally zeroed my 512 several years ago, and was getting solid hits at 100 yds on steel just last week. I'm really torn because I love this optic.[frown]

It's when you take it back out at a different temperature that's the problem. I submitted the form today. Shipping it out on Monday. I'm looking at the Vortex Razor AMG UH-1. Looks promising. Different design.

If your use of the optic doesn't result in zero drift, and your willing to accept you may have to rezero, then by all means keep it. It was my favorite dot too, but I couldn't tolerate the zero drift I saw in mine.

Maybe you got one that isn't drifting!

[rofl]

Well I'm back to being on the fence after finding out that people who send in there eotechs after march 23rd but before may 23rd have to wait until the class action suit is resolved.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The voluntary recall is over.

If you desire a refund, you will ship your HWS to L3 EOTech, and also submit the claim form.

Send the HWS via USPS, insured for the amount of your claimed refund.
You are not shipping them to L3 if you've missed the voluntary recall and are trying to get a refund through the class action suit. The claim is submitted through the Heffler site and they are asking you to ship the HWS to Heffler Claims Group in Philadelphia Pa and only issued a refund when the suit is resolved.

Last edited:
You are not shipping them to L3 if you've missed the voluntary recall and are trying to get a refund through the class action suit. The claim is submitted through the Heffler site and they are asking you to ship the HWS to Heffler Claims Group in Philadelphia Pa and only issued a refund when the suit is resolved.

Good point. "In general, valid claims will be paid or vouchers forwarded after the Court approves the Settlement and any appeals have been resolved." That said, I finally spent a couple of hours reading the Federal lawsuit and a lot of the above-mentioned resources. That convinced me. I put the claim in and sending it back Monday, as much as I hate class action lawsuits and reading that the attorneys on this one have agreed to cap their fees at $10 million, subject to the Court's approval.

I have had to rezero the sight every change of season and thought I had inconsistently mounted it, since I do remove it when I give the rifle a good scrubbing. I should have put 2 and 2 together when another optic had no such problem on the same rifle, but I mentally blamed the QD mount. Now, I did not perform a scientific experiment to confirm that the defect is the cause and not the EoTech mount, but I do not want an optic I will always question when I pick up the rifle, and the benefit of a full refund of an expensive sight (I have an LBC model) outweighs the risk of delay and living without the sight.

I have never had this problem with an RMR (on rifles, pistols or SGs) or an ACOG and have used those in the same temperature swings and removal-for-cleaning conditions. Although I am admittedly a Trijicon fanboy, I will be looking at all options for the EoTech's replacement.

I'll be replacing my 512 from my X95 with a Meprolight RDS Pro.
I love ACOGs and RMRs. Shot ACOGs and M68 in the Army and loved em. Already have 1 AR all setup with an ACOG so I'm leaning towards adding an Aimpoint Pro.

Again, sending troops into combat with optics they knew were unreliable is totally unforgivable. I will never use an eotech again

Last edited:
Good point. "In general, valid claims will be paid or vouchers forwarded after the Court approves the Settlement and any appeals have been resolved." That said, I finally spent a couple of hours reading the Federal lawsuit and a lot of the above-mentioned resources. That convinced me. I put the claim in and sending it back Monday, as much as I hate class action lawsuits and reading that the attorneys on this one have agreed to cap their fees at $10 million, subject to the Court's approval.

I have had to rezero the sight every change of season and thought I had inconsistently mounted it, since I do remove it when I give the rifle a good scrubbing. I should have put 2 and 2 together when another optic had no such problem on the same rifle, but I mentally blamed the QD mount. Now, I did not perform a scientific experiment to confirm that the defect is the cause and not the EoTech mount, but I do not want an optic I will always question when I pick up the rifle, and the benefit of a full refund of an expensive sight (I have an LBC model) outweighs the risk of delay and living without the sight.

I have never had this problem with an RMR (on rifles, pistols or SGs) or an ACOG and have used those in the same temperature swings and removal-for-cleaning conditions. Although I am admittedly a Trijicon fanboy, I will be looking at all options for the EoTech's replacement.
I'm just annoyed I didn't keep up to date with the original voluntary recall. Waiting a year for refund money kind of sucks. I'd probably have a good chance off loading them on ARFCOM for bit less than the MSRP refund but at least I'd get $$$ asap. My 511.A65 retailed for 409 and I've seen two sold on ARFCOM this past March for $300 and $375.

Last edited:
I'll be replacing my 512 from my X95 with a Meprolight RDS Pro.
Again, sending troops into combat with optics they knew were unreliable is totally unforgivable. I will never use an eotech again
Mepro Pro is a perfect fit for the X95. Might look a little Star Trek on an AR with a carbon handguard, but I will throw that aside if I can try one out and it works.

I was enlisted when HMMWVs were cutting edge and never saw an ACOG or M4, while in. It was all M16s and M60s for 12Bs, so I have no combat experience (with or without, to be clear) an ACOG.

I'm just annoyed I didn't keep up to date with the original voluntary recall.

+1

Mepro Pro is a perfect fit for the X95. Might look a little Star Trek on an AR with a carbon handguard, but I will throw that aside if I can try one out and it works.

I was enlisted when HMMWVs were cutting edge and never saw an ACOG or M4, while in. It was all M16s and M60s for 12Bs, so I have no combat experience (with or without, to be clear) an ACOG.

+1
I just scored a Trijicon Reflex II for $156. Hopefully it's serviceable enough to replace one of my Eotechs.

Last edited:
After reading the class action suit claim form and submission requirements, I noticed that they require you submit a claim by or on the May 23rd but they have no deadline to ship the optic. Looks like I'll submit both claims before the deadline and wait it out a bit before I ship them out.

Also, in a good turn of events, the guy who had the auction up for the RX01 felt bad I paid $150 for it so he asked for $100 lol. I'm gonna see how bad the tritium is when it comes in. Worst case scenerio, I'll relamp it myself with a small vial of tritium under the front fiber optic collector.

What does the wait time on the refund look like? If I send it in this week, when do I see the refund? Anyone get one yet?

What does the wait time on the refund look like? If I send it in this week, when do I see the refund? Anyone get one yet?

When I did mine (a year or so ago?) it was about 5 weeks. New process now, so that may not mean much.

You will have to wait until the class action suit is resolved until you find out if your claim is valid for a refund. I send Heffler an email asking about shipping deadline...because their website only listed the claim submission deadline and nothing else. Only thing they said was that they "preferred" the HWS to be shipped soon after a claim is submitted. So there is no real deadline for shipping in the optic. So I submitted a claim for my 511 and I am going to wait until they are close to a resolution before I ship it out to Heffler Claims.

And since my place is 75 to 77 degrees on average, I decided to put both the 511 and XPS in the fridge for 30 mins. No shift. No fogging. Then went from fridge to room temp and then into the freezer for 20 mins. Still no issues, so I am keeping XPS2-0, since I love that optic.

Submitted my refund request on March 16, 2017
Received authorization to ship Eotech on March 22
Received an email saying they were processing my refund on April 24
Received check in the mail today June 2 with extra $15 for the shipping cost

Received a voucher for $22.50 towards anything from their site from the settlement. Used it for a camelback bottle.

Back
Top Bottom