• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Possible issue? appeal...

I have applied for my CT Non-resident CCL/LTC Back in August. Was told it could take up to 5 months for approval.

on September 15th, I was informed by Texas DPS that CT had requested info and verification of my Texas LTC.

Today, I found out that an issue of an arrest was still on the FBI “rap” sheet from 1990, showing no final disposition. Out of Oklahoma. The case has previously been dismissed, expunged and sealed. However for some reason was NOT updated in the FBI “rap” sheet.

What is interesting is that I had been approved for my Silencers, and SBR’s and even 2 machine guns and it never popped up as an issue. Nor was it an issue with Texas, NH, Maine, Arizona, or Florida. unknown about Illinois yet. As well as the ATF approved me for my C&R FFL.

I have NOT heard back from the CT State Police with an approval or a denial yet on my application.

I am currently in the process of having the record corrected with the FBI. However that can take up to 30-45 days to have corrected.

So here is my question. In CT, you can only apply once every 12 months. Currently Appeal hearings for denials are being scheduled for 2023. Over 2 years from now. If I am denied. Would it be better to appeal and wait till 2023 for a hearing. Or wait till August 2021 and reapply? Assuming I’m denied.

The current incorrect FBI record shows an arrest, with no disposition of the case. The case was for a class A non violent misdemeanor. (bogus check). But was dismissed, expunged and sealed.

If you are denied. There is no reason that you can't apply in 12 months while also getting yourself on the agenda for a hearing before the BFPE.

I honestly suspect that the hold up is just Corona related.

CT has a law that requires ALL records of police contact, arrest, prosecution, etc, be removed if a person is found innocent (for any reason other than insanity) or if charges are dismissed.
Per CT law, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. CT law explicitly says that if charges are dropped or you are acquitted you can lawfully answer "NO" to any questions about arrest or prosecution.
So CT police are already in the mindset that if charges were dropped, it didn't happen.

With that said, the CT pistol permit form DPS799c DOES ask if you have ever had a permit denied or revoked. So you would need to answer truthfully to that on the second go around if you are denied and decide to reapply.

In short - I wouldn't worry.

Do also realize that you can do whatever you want with long guns with no licenses whatsoever in CT. (except for actually buy one)

Statute re records:

If you are denied. There is no reason that you can't apply in 12 months while also getting yourself on the agenda for a hearing before the BFPE.

I honestly suspect that the hold up is just Corona related.

CT has a law that requires ALL records of police contact, arrest, prosecution, etc, be removed if a person is found innocent (for any reason other than insanity) or if charges are dismissed.
Per CT law, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. CT law explicitly says that if charges are dropped or you are acquitted you can lawfully answer "NO" to any questions about arrest or prosecution.
So CT police are already in the mindset that if charges were dropped, it didn't happen.

With that said, the CT pistol permit form DPS799c DOES ask if you have ever had a permit denied or revoked. So you would need to answer truthfully to that on the second go around if you are denied and decide to reapply.

In short - I wouldn't worry.

Do also realize that you can do whatever you want with long guns with no licenses whatsoever in CT. (except for actually buy one)

Statute re records:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It hasn’t been an issue so far, but it did come up on another issue I was attempting approval on. I had to provide court documents showing dismissed, expunged. I am in the process of getting that updated/expunged etc with the FBI database. Go figure! Lol Hopefully it won’t be an issue. Even so, I am still going to get it corrected.

Back
Top Bottom