Posts to Member Forum vs Off-Topic/General Discussion

doobie

Banned
[rant]

Is it me or is there an increase of 'noise' in the members forums. Here are some examples:

(No offence meant to the OP):
here, here, here, and here?

I can understand karma, selling something on the cheap, classes, meet-ups, group buys, but general discussion seems to clutter up that section of the board.

[/rant]

PS: I posted this in 'tech support' for the reason of hoping Derek or a moderator would have a higher chance of seeing it and providing their feedback.

Last edited:
I think the advice threads you list above are getting posted there as an attempt by the OP to increase the signal to noise ratio, as they tend to trust members to stay on topic/give good advice more than the general NES population. Also, I had one of my off-topic posts (the kids photo thread) moved to the members forum (which move, upon reflection, I agreed with) so the moderators obviously want some general and/or off-topic discussions to happen in the members area.

Also, I had one of my off-topic posts (the kids photo thread) moved to the members forum (which move, upon reflection, I agreed with) so the moderators obviously want some general and/or off-topic discussions to happen in the members area.

I moved this for purely mercenary reasons. I wanted to post pics of my kids, but I'd like to keep guests from seeing them.

Mods have to discipline people sometimes and the lunatic fringe takes offense. I don't want anybody with a potential grudge looking at my kids. Especially someone that's been banned.

Doobie, no matter where it's posted, an uninteresting thread will work it's way off the page quick. Some of the ones you've cited have a good deal of activity. One man's meat is another man's "noise".

Last edited:
I moved this for purely mercenary reasons. I wanted to post pics of my kids, but I'd like to keep guests from seeing them.

Mods have to discipline people sometimes and the lunatic fringe takes offense. I don't want anybody with a potential grudge looking at my kids. Especially someone that's been banned.

Yup, that's exactly what I figured (also figured it was you since your kid pictures showed up soon after :).

I wouldn't complain about that.

Doobie, no matter where it's posted, an uninteresting thread will work it's way off the page quick. Some of the ones you've cited have a good deal of activity. One man's meat is another man's "noise".

Just seems to be a lot of generic stuff like people looking for advice on something or looking to see if people are from various walks of life that are getting posted there instead of the general forum.

I've got no problem with them there, just if all/majority of the posts start going there, then it seems like we're trying to exclude non-members from discussions. But I don't run the place, so I just made my rant....

I personally don't care which forum threads are in. I read 99% of the time by using the new posts button. I totally understand threads with any kind of personal info going in the members area. As the number of members continues to grow, it will probably be a good idea to split up the members forum eventually. Separating out the C-Pher forum was a good start.

Back
Top Bottom