• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Powder Cop"

Jim Poulette

NES Member
I'm new to reloading and once I saw this, I knew it will never take the place of actually measuring a load - but I see it as a useful tool to avoid FUBAR's.

Does anyone use one of these regularly, and if so what do you think about it. I suspect it slows down the process slightly but could be worth it.

1619032762875.png

Doesn't seem like it would be worth it to me. What kind of press are you using? Do you charge cases by hand now? If so, IMO this would be a waste of money and time.

I use a turret press with a powder drop at one of the stations. It is pretty easy to see the powder level, and have an idea if there is a FUBAR, as you put it. Rifle cases are easier since you pretty much are filling the case. But, even with pistol cases, you develop a sense of the right level. I'm all for gadgets, but will pass on this one.

I run one. A home made version. I was following the lead of a national ranked high power shooter. ( see “Konrads high power page“ on line). I use it for making PRS rifle rounds on a Dillon progressive press where I am adding powder by hand after it is weighed on a rcbs chargemaster. It is just a visual confirmation that I did add powder to the case. It is most useful when setting up a new caliber on press when you are making a bunch of other adjustments

I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds safely without a powder cop or lockout die. No plans on using one as I already have a die in every station on my progressive press and it hasn't been an issue yet.
But to each their own.

Love the macho man responses heh 'ya I don't need that I never make a mistake. Ever'
Do you reload?
You shouldn’t be relying on a die IMO. I look into the cases before seating a bullet.

Reloading expert guru Jim @EddieCoyle would agree. FWIW.
The lesson here is: No good can come out of a powder cop die. I have a little clamp-on light that it move around to aim at the case in the seating station so I can get a look at the powder in it before I drop on a bullet. You'd be surprised how good your eye gets.

Before anybody chimes in and tells me that the powder cop is a good idea, see my post above, If you can't remember to look in the case, why can you remember to look at a powder cop die? The RCBS die is a different story.

I use the Dillon audible one on my progressive press for short line ammo. If you can tell by eye if a case has 22 grains of powder instead of 24 when you’re cranking out 500 rounds then you’re a better man than me.

The Dillon one is nice because it makes an audible buzz if you are plus or minus more than a couple grains or so. It goes in an extra station and doesn’t really need much setup. I can’t think of a downside unless you didn’t have a spare station for it.

OP, not a necessity but it wont hurt either. I have the audible one for the Dillon. From time to time it would hang up and sometimes give an alert but when I weighed the charge it would be within an acceptable range. (If Im loading bulk ammo, Im really just checking to make sure there's no empty cases or double charges) For me its just as easy to eyeball the case as I set the bullet so I took it off after getting tired of the false alarms.

Do you reload?
You shouldn’t be relying on a die IMO. I look into the cases before seating a bullet.

Reloading expert guru Jim @EddieCoyle would agree. FWIW.
Looking in the case is a good idea IF you can see into the case. When doing rifle rounds (6.5 or .308) on Dillon 550 I can’t physically get a good view down into case. So I use the indicator.

Sold ! (worth the price of admission right there)

If it "stops the press" - that's infinitely better then me validating by eye every time.

I'm setting up a new LNL AP press now, and I also found this:

That is actually the one I use. I love it. And yes, it has done its job two or three times in the past for me. Maybe I would have caught them during the visual inspection, but this thing just shuts the system down!

Back
Top Bottom