Powdered graphite and one lube

The tech center at Hornady told me to run powdered graphite through my powder measure and respray the drop tubes with Hornady one lube. This was in reply to my question on how to stop constant powder leaking.

So I sit down and take the whole thing part again. Respray the drop tube and the pistol powder measure. Rub down the plastic powder tube with bounce and put it all back together and pour in about 1 ounce of powdered graphite.

After I ran the graphite through the powder measure I had to drain it out and made the mistake of using the red plastic powder pan, that came with the $129 digital scale I got, to catch it.

The red pan turn black and asorbed the graphite. I washed it and scrubbed it and it still had a 10th of a gram of graphite coating it.

Now I clean the outside of the press real good because the powdered graphite is so much finer than gun powder that it even came out of the edges of the pistol rotor and around where the pistol measure screws in. It was every where. So I guess 1 ounce is a little to much.

Now I reload the press with powder and start reloading. No more leaking powder and the charge is perfect. Five shells later I notice that no powder at all is coming out.

Now I have to take it apart and reclean it again.

I hope this can help some one from making the same mistakes I did with the graphite.

This is a hobby that can drive you insane..

Last edited:
Why do you have to take it apart and reclean again? I don't always clean mine and get very consistant charges. I clean the shellplate area quite a bit though.

There is graphite in a liquid (alcohol) suspension that we used in the shipyard. Great stuff, paint it on and it stays forever, but no powder to get everywhere.

Should be able to find the stuff at any auto parts dealer.

It stopped dispensing powder after 5 rounds were loaded. Evidently it has some sort of blockage in it.

I turned it upside down and poured as much of the graphite that I could out of it, then raised and lowered the drum about ten times to empty out the hopper in the rotor and to clear out the drop tubes.

Then when nothing else came out, I reloaded the powder but evidently it has some thing inside clogging the rotor and drop tubes.

This is why I enjoy reloading, it's a constant learning process.

Contact WT Tool in Stoughton, MA. Ask for John - he's the store manager and a very active shooter. Tell him what you are looking for (graphite in an alcohol suspension) and see if he has it or if he knows where you can get it. Their website doesn't show everything they carry and I can't find it there.

http://www.wttool.com/info-exec/view/store_locations/

Here's the stuff I am referring to, but MUCH too pricey!

http://www.fpointinc.com/graphite.htm

All the stuff I used came with Navy stock numbers, so I have no idea what the US Gov't paid for it. This was also back in the very early 1970s.

I've never had a need to coat any of my reloading equipment, but this is what I'd be looking for if I did.

BTW, some Google hits suggest mixing some dry graphite in a bottle filled with isopropyl alcohol, shaking up and using that. Sounds like it would work. I saw one "recipe" of 1/8 oz of graphite in a "whole bottle of alcohol" (no definition of size of bottle).

Since you already have the graphite and rubbing alcohol is dirt cheap, you might give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom