PPT and Dealer

I was just reading a thread about how the roster applies to MA FFL to buyers. My question, if the PPT portal becomes banned (there is a bill coming) would that mean you could not buy a pistol in NH and FA10 (or, more technically, have the FFL do it) it if it is not on the roster? Of course, assuming you're not running afoul of the AW. Sorry if this was asked before; didn't see anythig with a quick perusal.

Last edited:
buy a pistol in NH and FA10 (or, more technically, have the FFL do it) it if it is not on the roster?

Isn't the FA-10 a Mass Form? So buying a pistol in NH and FA-10'ing in Mass, with no Mass FFL for any part of the transaction? I am confused but maybe I am reading your whole post wrong.

Sorry for the confusion:

I was reading this thread and saw post # 7:

MA compliance is NEVER about ownership or use. It is about dealers. You have to abide by the AWB and magazine limits, but that is it. You can bring your CZ75 with a 10 round magazine into MA and use to your hearts content.

You do need to FA10 within 7 days any gun your bring into MA to "keep" in MA. If it is only range trips, I think things are less clear.

Again, possession of non-MA compliant handguns is a total non issue

While out in Bridgewater, a FFL and I were talking about a bill to remove the PPT Gun Portal and how all guns would have to be FA10'd at a FFL. My question would be this: if you go to a FFL would all guns have to be the same that a FFL is allowed to sell? Thus, if you take the aforementioned quote at face value, would they only be allowed to process Rostered pistols? Likewise, if they were unsure about pre-bans, would they simply deny doing the transaction?

What is a PPT gun portal? Something related to black holes?
I think the gist of your question is IF Linksky's passes then yes, all transactions would go through an FFL and they will not touch a firearm not on the roster or one that is not approved by AG.

WTF does power point (PPT) have to do with anything?

Registration is still required to handle other legal transactions even if Linskeys latest stupid bill were to pass. Purchase of long guns out of state, dual residence purchase of anything, assembly of firearm, etc

What problem are you worried about?

What I think the OP is asking.
If he is a resident of NH and owns a pistol that is not MA compliant. And he moves to MA. He now has to file an eFA10 through the state portal. But if the bill passes he would have to go to a dealer, so the dealer could process the eFA10. In this situation, would the restrictions on what a dealer can transfer apply, thus he could not bring in his non-compliant pistols.

Did I get this right?

I think the answer is yes in a practical sense.
I don't know if there is a distinction between a dealer transferring a firearm, and one just processing an eFA10. But I doubt the FFL is going to put their business at risk over a possible misinterpretation, if there is a difference. And it there isn't, well then no gun for you.

What is a PPT gun portal?
Person-to-Person Transfer gun portal. eFA-10.

Registration is still required to handle other legal transactions even if Linskeys latest stupid bill were to pass. Purchase of long guns out of state, dual residence purchase of anything importation of anything purchased at an out-of-state residence, ...
If you don't import something purchased out of state,
there is no transaction they're entitled to see registered.

You can still fill out a paper form and mail it in.
Local PD's have them.
Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will the FRB register the transaction when you do mail it in?

I did some time ago when I had an issue with my computer. They got pissed off and sent it back.
Do you still owe them the postage on the return mail?

WTF does power point (PPT) have to do with anything?

Registration is still required to handle other legal transactions even if Linskeys latest stupid bill were to pass. Purchase of long guns out of state, dual residence purchase of anything, assembly of firearm, etc

What problem are you worried about?
Even if Linskey's bill passes, I'd assume offlist guns could still be transferred using the same old methods?....I know you (crackpot) are well aware of those but I'm not going to publicly discuss them if others are wondering.

If he is a resident of NH and owns a pistol that is not MA compliant. And he moves to MA. He now has to file an eFA10 through the state portal. But if the bill passes he would have to go to a dealer, so the dealer could process the eFA10. In this situation, would the restrictions on what a dealer can transfer apply, thus he could not bring in his non-compliant pistols.

Did I get this right?

I don't know if there is a distinction between a dealer transferring a firearm, and one just processing an eFA10. But I doubt the FFL is going to put their business at risk over a possible misinterpretation, if there is a difference. And it there isn't, well then no gun for you.
If moving to Mass I don't believe your are required to EFA-10 any guns that you bring with you.

The eFA10 site would still be required unless you
a) banned face to face xfer
b) banned "manufacturing" by individuals
c) banned purchase out of state of long guns
d) banned purchase out of state by out of state residents bringing to MA (whether when they move or because they are duals)
e) banned inheritance
f) banned losing guns or having them stolen
g) banned surrender to the police (can you see the police doing an FA10 when they took in a gun?)

You can't make a dealer do a background check on (b)-(d). A dealer can facilitate a face to face (there is a nice check box on the 4473 for it). Inheritance can be a facilitated xfer. (b)-(d) dont fit. Sort of like whichever state wanted background checks for ammo purchases...

Linsky is clearly a rabid dog so I would not put it past him to try and ban everything above, but I have a hard time seeing it happen.

They told me to fill mine out on paper because the website could not complete my transaction.
Maybe because I'm not a dealer they took it?
Hope they managed to hand-enter it into the database back at the home office,
and/or that you saved your copy of the form.

Because if someone ever asks you if you registered the gun
but that paper is sitting in a moldy shoebox in the FRB's basement,
hilarity is gonna ensue.

I just got out of the MA gun dealer MIRCS training. Here's my take....if personal transfers go away and you have to go to an FFL, the FFL "should not" transfer anything that is not on the roster....full stop. And.....they told us you cannot mail in FA10's anymore.

Hope they managed to hand-enter it into the database back at the home office,
and/or that you saved your copy of the form.

Because if someone ever asks you if you registered the gun
but that paper is sitting in a moldy shoebox in the FRB's basement,
hilarity is gonna ensue.
In my case, got the computer working, had the buyer come back and did it on MIRCS like a good doobie. Jack.

Did I get this right?

Yes correct! And for the confused, PPT = Private Party Transfer. That is what they are called in CA which is where I picked up the jargon.

And, sort of related, how come you can FA10 a pistol without going to a FFL? And what happens if you FA10 too many transfers, can you go to a FFL to have them process more? (I've not really done these in MA).

Thanks all for the comments!

I just got out of the MA gun dealer MIRCS training. Here's my take....if personal transfers go away and you have to go to an FFL, the FFL "should not" transfer anything that is not on the roster....full stop. And.....they told us you cannot mail in FA10's anymore.
If you use a dealer for a transfer, remember that the gun goes into his/her bound book as inventory. He/she now owns it. It gets transferred to the buyer just like a sale. All the bullshit regs will now apply. Jack.

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

You are allowed to sell through private transfer 4 per calendar year. If you do more either a) nothing happens or b) they knock on your door. We all know many people who have accidentally done more and nothing happened. We also know people who have done a lot more and had (b) happen.

Why would you need an FFL to transfer between private parties? Per MGL both parties must have LTC/FID and use the state website (linked above).

If you want to do more than 4, use an FFL. Of course, the FFL is bound by the handgun list and other crap, so choose wisely.

If you use a dealer for a transfer, remember that the gun goes into his/her bound book as inventory. He/she now owns it. It gets transferred to the buyer just like a sale. All the bullshit regs will now apply. Jack.
Correct...forgot to mention that if an FFL gets involved it need to go in and out of his/her bound book. The more I get into this the more rules I uncover!

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

You are allowed to sell through private transfer 4 per calendar year. If you do more either a) nothing happens or b) they knock on your door. We all know many people who have accidentally done more and nothing happened. We also know people who have done a lot more and had (b) happen.

Why would you need an FFL to transfer between private parties? Per MGL both parties must have LTC/FID and use the state website (linked above).

If you want to do more than 4, use an FFL. Of course, the FFL is bound by the handgun list and other crap, so choose wisely.
Randy, I think that some folks may feel a sense of "security" going thru an FFL, especially it it's their first time or if the seller or buyer insists on it. Not all folks have studied the 700 pages of state and fed gun laws like you and I have. Jack.

WOW I didn't realize there was a bill to get rid of the website. I guess that is why I come to NES. Any idea what the timeline is for voting on this bill.

"would that mean you could not buy a pistol in NH and FA10 (or, more technically, have the FFL do it) it if it is not on the roster?"

You could not do that NOW, regardless.

No "private party transfers" between states.

Back
Top Bottom