• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Practical shotgun at Hopkinton. Saturday March 3

SJan

NES Member
Match cancelled.

WEATHER PERMITTING there will be a practical shotgun match at Hopkinton Sportsman's Association on Saturday March 3rd, 10am start time. This will be an all bird shot match (7.5, 8, or 9 size only allowed) Expect 3 fun and challenging stages, each competitor will shoot each stage twice, both for score for a 6 stage match. Minimum round count is about 135, I suggest bringing extra. Chamber flags are mandatory. Setup will be starting at 7:30 AM, and help will be very much needed. Please contact me if you can help setup and help RO. We will use shotgun staging tables, if you are unfamiliar with how that works... ask somebody to explain it. Will use a time plus scoring. HSA: 95 Lumbar st. Hopkinton MA. If the weather is not looking good, I will update this post, so keep an eye on things here.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun match. I am looking forward to shooting this match:cool:

Also, see the PM I sent you:)

Last edited:
Yeah, 8+1 sounds good. I will put together a FAQ sometime tomorrow. Dan, Anything you think I should cover , send me an email

Practical shotgun match Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where? When? How much $ ?
A. Hopkinton Sportsman's Association, 95 Lumber st. Hopkinton MA, in pistol bays 4, 5, 6. On Saturday, Match 3rd. Setup is at 730am, registration will start as soon as setup is finished, and first shots after a brief meeting. Match fee is $25.

Q. What do you mean by weather permitting?
A. If the weather looks poor, snow, rain, and or cold, or if the condition of the ground is poor, the match will be cancelled. A decision for or against will be made on Thursday March 1st, and posted on NES and the Facebook groups NE 3 gun and NE action shooting sports.

Q. What kind of shotgun can I use? Can I share a gun with my friend?
A. Any kind of shotgun. A tube fed semi auto or pump action are most commonly used, extended magazine tubes are an advantage, but not absolutely necessary. Yes, You may share a gun. Be sure to squad with your friend, and tell the RO in charge of the squad so you and your friend are not shooting back to back in the order. You must be familiar with the safe use and operation of the gun you are using. The make ready time is not the time or place to learn how to load the gun.

Q. What are the equipment divisions?
A. Manual = Pump operated shotguns with tube magazine loaded to max of 8+1 at the start.
Autoloader = Auto loading shotguns with tube magazine loaded to max of 8+1 at the start.
Open = Any shotgun with detachable box magazine, revolving magazine tubes, or use of speed loaders.

Q. How many shells do I need to carry?
A. There will be 6 stages, with a total minimum round count of about 135. I suggest bringing 200. To cover for misses and dropped shells, I recommend starting each stage will about 30 shells available, including in the gun, on belt, on chest, in a dump pouch, a trap shooter pouch, a carpenters nail pouch, pockets, and if necessary a barrel in the middle of the stage can be used to stash extra shells.

Q. What type of targets will there be? Do I need slugs?
A. A mix of steel and clay targets. Some moving / ariel clays. No slugs will be needed. Use of birdshot 7.5, 8 or 9.

- Start Position for all stages: Loaded, safety on, finger outside of trigger guard, stock touching belt, muzzle generally downrange.

- The use of Chamber flags is mandatory, and are the responsibility of the shooter. There will not be any supplied by HSA. An empty hull is not a suitable alternative to a chamber flag, a plastic zip tie is.

- Shotgun staging table / Pre Load table will be used at each stage. Chamber flags are to be inserted on all guns on the table, Chambers are EMPTY. Muzzle must point at berm at all times.

- USPSA range commands will be used. Standard safety rules will be in place, the same that you would encounter at a USPSA or IDPA pistol match. Violation of the 180 rule; sweeping oneself or any other person with the muzzle of a loaded or unloaded shotgun during the course of fire; or having a finger clearly inside the trigger guard while loading, unloading, reloading the shotgun, or while moving without activly engaging targets will result in a match disqualification. All safety violations are final and up to the RO overseeing the stage.

Sorry to say, Match is cancelled.

This storm will surely leave the range conditions muddy and just not ideal for a match.

Kinda glad it’s canceled for this week.
This seems some what experienced event. Would you recommend first timers to stay out of it?

I thought the bad weather would separate the men from the boys!
JK, good call Sean

Kinda glad it’s canceled for this week.
This seems some what experienced event. Would you recommend first timers to stay out of it?
How do you get experience if you don't participate? When it is rescheduled, bring your gear, let people know you are new at this, and be safe.

I look forward to seeing the 'rain-date', practical shotgun is becoming more popular these days much faster than expected, it will be comforting to see Hopkinton capitalize on this in the Northeast

Back
Top Bottom