Prairie Dog hunt

So you guys gonna turn it into a Praerie dog/Boomer Shoot?[devil]

exploding_targets_pic.jpg

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

No

Can you use a .22 rifle on these things? Or do you need a higher caliber?

The effective range of a 22LR is 65 yards max. 12 inch drop at 100 yds, less than 100 ft_lbs. forget it at 200 yds.

.223 55 grain will drop 3 inches at 200 yds when zeroed in at 100 yds. still travelling 3x speed of a 22LR.

Q: What kind of firearms were used?

A: Three rifles were used.

1) Savage Model 110 FP in .223

2) Savage Model 12 FV in .22 - 250

3) New England Firearms Sportster in .17 HMR

I'd still bring my .204 [smile] Maybe my 17hmr for a back up rifle. Those are the only scoped long range rifles I have, unless I count this. My scout mount Swiss in 7.5x55.

fd5a7f4d.jpg

What to bring :

1. .223 rifle w/3x9 or higher power scope , Heavy barrel a plus . Bipod .
2. 1000 rounds of ammo 40-55 grain B-Tip , V-max . the 55 grn. Remington soft points work great for the price !!!
3. Shooting mat or bench . Mat is eayser to move .
4. .22 LR for the close ones . A good HP IE: Stinngers, Yellow Jackets etc . 5000 rounds .
5. Water lots of it . No soda , No Beer . This is the desert , its hot and dry .

This is a good list ( Its what I use every summer , I kill LOTS of dogs . LOTS .)
Any rifle works , bring two so you can let one cool off . Bigger than 6mm for those long shots 500 yrds or more .

We really do not care how you do it back east , your in the west now remember that .

Offer up a tresspass fee , offer to fix a fence , ask about gates . Leave it as you found it . pick up your trash and trash you find .

Simple rules . You send a thank you card when ya get home . You will get a place to hunt year after year .

Offer up a tresspass fee , offer to fix a fence , ask about gates . Leave it as you found it . pick up your trash and trash you find .

Simple rules . You send a thank you card when ya get home . You will get a place to hunt year after year .

That's sound advice right there. [wink]

Always good advice, they told us stuff like that in Basic Hunter's Education. The guys who taught it really knew their stuff. Courtesy and respect for landowner's and the land is critical in keeping land open to hunting!!!

+1, particularly the common courtesy reminder and the bit about lots of water and no water substitutes. Unless you've ever spent time in the desert, you won't appreciate the need for as much water as you're going to need, and the counter-productivity of most things you might prefer to drink.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom