• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre-Ban high-cap AR magazine purchase in NH

Believe the answer is "yes" but resigned to possible "re-education." Is it legal for a MA resident with a class A LTC to purchase pre-ban high-cap AR magazines in NH for personal use?

Thanks for your time in replying.

Believe the answer is "yes" but resigned to possible "re-education." Is it legal for a MA resident with a class A LTC to purchase pre-ban high-cap AR magazines in NH for personal use?

To answer your question, yes... those mags are just pieces of metal outside of MA. No special BS.

To save you some time though.... you ain't going to find any, unless you already have a lead. Not even one. The flippers bought them all a long assed time ago. Maybe if you get lucky and you go to some shop in tinbuck 4 that nobody visits, but even then... trust me, the profiteers/flippers have already scoured all that shit, after 2013 there was too much "MA nipplehead new gun owner" fresh meat for them to resist the temptation. The days of scouring junk bins at Rileys are long gone. (hell, Riley's is gone, too. )

@drgrant I have bought lots of preban mags you just gotta keep looking. I flipped 18 of them recently all local.
Yes once in a while you might be able to find something but you really have to be to be lucky or have some connections and at this point most of the flippers and probably left their business cards with various gun shops etcetera. I don't even bother looking for them anymore.

Well for starters it helps to look beyond this state and even beyond New England. I lived more than half my life in the midwest and still have friends. This stuff is much more common out there by comparison.

Yes, it is definitely. If you get out of the northeast the odds of finding that stuff go up considerably....

Its legal for you to buy POST-BAN high cap mags in NH for personal use.

You just can't bring them back into MA. Big difference.

That is, of course, until Healy issues a cease and desist order to NH gun shops and they roll over cowering in fear like Phantom Fireworks :(

Even she knows that her legal authority stops at the state border. It would be one thing if they were shipping them to MA.

But she has absolutely no authority to affect a transaction between 2 people in another state. The purchaser has to comply with federal laws as well as state and local laws in the location where the transaction is happening. Where he lives is irrelevant.

Even she knows that her legal authority stops at the state border. It would be one thing if they were shipping them to MA.

But she has absolutely no authority to affect a transaction between 2 people in another state. The purchaser has to comply with federal laws as well as state and local laws in the location where the transaction is happening. Where he lives is irrelevant.
If she understood that why did she send a cease and desist demand to a NH fireworks company, and further claim that sending MA residents ads via US Snail with a notice that fireworks are illegal in the DPRM to be a violation of MA law - even though it occurred in NH?

Remember that under the 'full faith and credit" clause, MA judgement issues by marsupial courts are enforceable in other states, even if the other state disagrees with them.

Last edited:
Yes, it is definitely. If you get out of the northeast the odds of finding that stuff go up considerably....

This. I get mine from a guy out west. They find them at gun shows for dirt cheap. OP, check with friends you may have around the country that are also gunners. You’d be surprised what you can find if you look.

If she understood that why did she send a cease and desist demand to a NH fireworks company, and further claim that sending MA residents ads via US Snail with a notice that fireworks are illegal in the DPRM to be a violation of MA law - even though it occurred in NH?

Remember that under the 'full faith and credit" clause, MA judgement issues by marsupial courts are enforceable in other states, even if the other state disagrees with them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a case ripe for a 1st-A challenge in USDC? The AG is trying to prohibit a company from advertising (speech), at least that is what it sounds like to me.

The only thing that Maura wants to do is to stay on the front page, looking like she is the one that will save the country from guns and gun owners, so that she may move up the ladder if we get a dem president. Jack.

Well then I guess she doesn't understand that her authority ends at the state line.

How many of those fireworks companies complied? I suspect zero. Because she has no authority.

Court judgements are another matter entirely. They can be enforced across state lines. But the crime has to have broken MA law. You can't break MA law by buying a gun in NH.

Court judgements are another matter entirely. They can be enforced across state lines. But the crime has to have broken MA law. You can't break MA law by buying a gun in NH.
If you are a NH business and the MA AG sues you in a MA court, do you take your chances on a MA court understanding that in an ex-parte trial, or do you hire legal counsel? By designating it an "unfair and deceptive trade practice" it moves it to a civil offense with a lower standard of proof. It's like Glocks - the AG has declared that selling someone something that they fully understand and want is both "unfair" and "deceptive".

I remember the AG won a judgement of something like $70K against an out of state vendor selling air guns to MA residents, and not bothering to hire counsel to defend the business in a MA court.

How many of those fireworks companies complied? I suspect zero. Because she has no authority.
Although Phantom did not make a statement agreeing to her authority, it immediately agreed to comply with her demands "as a courtesy to the AG".

If you are a NH business and the MA AG sues you in a MA court, do you take your chances on a MA court understanding that in an ex-parte trial, or do you hire legal counsel? By designating it an "unfair and deceptive trade practice" it moves it to a civil offense with a lower standard of proof. It's like Glocks - the AG has declared that selling someone something that they fully understand and want is both "unfair" and "deceptive".

I remember the AG won a judgement of something like $70K against an out of state vendor selling air guns to MA residents, and not bothering to hire counsel to defend the business in a MA court.

Although Phantom did not make a statement agreeing to her authority, it immediately agreed to comply with her demands "as a courtesy to the AG".

And this is why most online companies will not sell anything to MA residents. They just don't want the hassle.

If you are looking for pre-ban 30rd mags I can probably help you out as I plan on selling off a lot of them. They are all up in NH right now. I'm keeping all my pre-ban 20rd AR mags however.

When Phantom Fireworks said they would not send any more mailings as a courtesy, it was July 1, and by that time all their mailings should have already gone out.

Fireworks companies don't do direct mail marketing any other time of the year do they?

And by 7/1 it is probably not effective to market by mail.... billboards, radio and TV yes, mail...not so much

So they gave her nothing.... the billboards and other marketing were still in place in MA and probably more effective..... but the most effective advetising is word of mouth or repeat customers.... everyone knows what is for sale in NH

Unless you're buying a long gun you can possess down there, there aren't many sellers up here who would ask for that LTC-A.

Even if Maura tried to get NH stores to not sell mags to MA residents it would be unenforceable and unprovable. Mags are unregulated in NH, so there is no ID check when purchasing one. The store simply has no way of knowing anything about the purchaser.

There's no reason for a NH dealer selling you standard capacity mags to ever ask for ID or an address. They wouldn't know. You are buying face to face. Its a 100% perfectly legal sale. As long as the MA resident keeps it out of MA.

There's no reason for a NH dealer selling you standard capacity mags to ever ask for ID or an address. They wouldn't know. You are buying face to face. Its a 100% perfectly legal sale. As long as the MA resident keeps it out of MA.

He's talking about the AG suing the dealer, under the "AG sues everyone" gnomish mysticism stuff, which IMHO is overrrated. I would be shocked of NH dealers have not been harassed about similar things before from the MA AG, and an attorney from said dealer probably told the AGs office to f*** right off. It's just not newsworthy because whoever paid for the attorney just wants
to go back to selling stuff.

To answer your question, yes... those mags are just pieces of metal outside of MA. No special BS.

To save you some time though.... you ain't going to find any, unless you already have a lead. Not even one. The flippers bought them all a long assed time ago. Maybe if you get lucky and you go to some shop in tinbuck 4 that nobody visits, but even then... trust me, the profiteers/flippers have already scoured all that shit, after 2013 there was too much "MA nipplehead new gun owner" fresh meat for them to resist the temptation. The days of scouring junk bins at Rileys are long gone. (hell, Riley's is gone, too. )

A few months pre commie cold, I was killing brain cells on company time by scrolling farcebook. Whereupon, I had stumbled onto a minute or two old post by a shop to remain nameless that so far is the only place (B&M) I have ever been able to find my preferred AK food in bulk. Ended up scoring a bit over a dozen prebans for a great price, then had to get a case or two of food for them. While some places will card people and not sell standard capacity mags to those stuck behind the iron curtain, many will gladly sell brand new mags with the only check being to count the wad of cash so that the agreed amount is there.

I'm paraphrasing, but was told at an earlier stocking visit (after they knew I was from MA) that “It’s perfectly legal for me according to NH and Fed law to sell you any of the magazines in the shop. What you do with them afterwards is your business.”

I'm paraphrasing, but was told at an earlier stocking visit (after they knew I was from MA) that “It’s perfectly legal for me according to NH and Fed law to sell you any of the magazines in the shop. What you do with them afterwards is your business.”

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner.

In free states, the sale of a pack of cigarettes is more regulated than the sale of magazines and and just about the same as ammunition.

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner.

In free states, the sale of a pack of cigarettes is more regulated than the sale of magazines and and just about the same as ammunition.

The only reg that even exists federally for magazines is if someone exported them, probably falls under ITAR bullshit and other associated controls, but otherwise, in america, it's a loaf of
bread. Actually its probably less regulated than a loaf of bread. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom