Pre Written Note re: One Gun a Month Bill

Here is something if you don't have the time to write something up. Address it to the committee members below and send it out.

I strongly oppose Governor Patrick’s proposed legislation H3991, “An Act to Reduce Gun Violence”, commonly referred to as the “One Gun a Month Bill”.

The premise of the bill is that the lawful gun owners of Massachusetts are responsible for the illegal gun trade in the Commonwealth. One only needs to reference a recent Boston based news expose on the illegal gun trade to understand how preposterous that is. They had to go to another state to find people willing to straw purchase or illegally sell them firearms and then they interviewed a local Boston gangbanger who clearly stated that it only cost him $100-$150 for a typical 9 MM handgun. As a law abiding gun owner I can not purchase the rattiest of 9mm for less than $300 and $550 new. Let's review how this bill makes criminals out of law abiding citizens and does nothing to stop gun violence.

* H3991 does not serve as an effective "cooling off period".
The LTC application ensure a minimum of 6 weeks for that, as if someone who wishes to do harm to others would bother with getting a license in the first place.

* H3991 does nothing to stop trafficking of firearms.
It is not economically rational that one would purchase for $300 a firearm for resale on the street when the going street price for said firearm is $150. Criminals are obtaining their firearms a different way and it would behoove this committee to focus on that in order to have any real effect on the gun violence problem in this state.

* H3991 does illegally restrain trade.
All this does is further put restraints on the lawful purchase of firearms by law abiding citizens and does NOTHING to prevent the real criminals from continuing to obtain firearms.

I implore you to please not trample on my 2nd amendment rights to score political points for some security theater when you could, with only a little more effort, actually make a difference in stopping gun violence by focusing on the criminals who purchase these illegal firearms.

And Address it to

One comment... no idea if it's a big thing or not... you may want to have "Please do not trample on our 2nd amendment rights.... instead of 'my'.

Make it more about 'community' than your rights...etc

Back
Top Bottom