Preban lower

gotwood

NES Member
I Have a lower from a company that went out of business in 1980. Was given to me by a old Freind. He can't remember if it was ever registered. He has no receipt of when it was bought. The big question is, can I registered because it is preban. NOT FOR SALE

Last edited:
I would just build it and register it. If the company did go out of business or change ownership prior to the 94 ban that right there is proof enough. No need to trace where you got it from. You can get a pre ban lower from out of state and it be unregistered until you build it.

I would just build it and register it. If the company did go out of business or change ownership prior to the 94 ban that right there is proof enough. No need to trace where you got it from. You can get a pre ban lower from out of state and it be unregistered until you build it.

If building up as a preban, didn't the Fed law specify it must have been in preban configuration (i.e., not stripped) before 94? Does that also apply in MA?

If building up as a preban, didn't the Fed law specify it must have been in preban configuration (i.e., not stripped) before 94? Does that also apply in MA?

I have a new pet theory that nobody should listen to.

IANAL but if you had 2 "evil features" pre-94 you've got an assault weapon, but it's grandfathered. Add a 3rd evil feature and it's still an assault weapon, and still grandfathered, yes? Provided you had the 2 features to MAKE it an assault weapon, in place before 1994, you can add any additional feature you like after the ban because it is already categorized as such... and exempt. Even under the ATF interpretation, which of course was wildly different than the current MA line (including allowing neutered featureless or one-feature rifles).

So if Mad Maura says any weapon sharing a BCG or trigger group or whatever else with an AR15 is an assault weapon, or even operates similarly, that makes all pre-94 AR-style rifles assault weapons too, right? Grandfathered/exempt assault weapons. Adding a few features or changing configuration can't make them NOT assault weapons, nor can it make them some next level of assault weapon (since none exists). A preban EA15 or J15 is an assault weapon because of compatibility or similarity (not the old features test that actually exists under law) according to Mad Maura.

We're already in the territory of ignoring Federal law (which was adopted word for word, in fact those words aren't even spelled out, just the date, section and subsection of law is referenced...) and precedent and legislative intent... If only what Mad Maura claimed to be true was actual law.

Last edited:
Yep but principle #1 of MassPrudeence states anything someone of political or legal stature takes offense to is an indictable crime and will be punished to the fullest extent of their imagination minus the effect of a brilliant firearms expert attorney, his expert witnesses, and the direction the wind is blowing on the day of court appearances. There is also the unpredictable additional effect of the abject ignorance and bias of the marsupial judge.

So as someone here on NES has stated you might win the case and not survive the ride.

Back
Top Bottom