Preban Sig or Beretta mags in CZ 75/SP01

I bought a CZ SP-01 a few months back and have been having a tough time coming across pre-ban mags. I came across an old thread here with conflicting information about using Sig 226 mags or cutting a new notch in Beretta 92 mags.

From what I can tell the CZ/Sig magazines are pretty similar.
For the beretta mag modification, was it just talk or is anyone actually doing this?

I bought a CZ SP-01 a few months back and have been having a tough time coming across pre-ban mags. I came across an old thread here with conflicting information about using Sig 226 mags or cutting a new notch in Beretta 92 mags.

For the beretta mag modification, was it just talk or is anyone actually doing this?
i just use a set of 10 mec-gar 10rd mags with my shadow 2, as it is a range only gun for me. i did not find any pre-ban mags for mine when i looked, but, i did not try nor searched a lot.

I know the 9 mm mags for Beretta 92s would work in a 96 would hold 11 or 12 rounds. I've a CZ 75 so I'll have to see if the 92 mags work in my CZ.

Here's a preban 15 rounder. All of the preban CZ75 mags I have are unmarked and hold 15 rounds. Just like this one

I have a truckload of P226 mags of various capacity, I can see if/how they fit in my CZ tonight, if I remember. I imagine they won't.

It's more for home defense/cutting down on reloads. More rounds = more better, no?

no. The magazine needs to function. Reliability is far more important than having another 6 rounds in a boogered up magazine. If the goal is HD learn to use a rifle or shotgun they make any pistol look like a joke. This way it actually checks the box and makes this silly magazine game moot.

I got the preban mags for IDPA/USPSA shooting. I don’t need a barney (extra/spare) mag to load to 10+1. I did change out the basepads to some hard plastic factory Beretta basepads.

They won’t get bent and hard to take off like the thin metal basepads after repeated drops on concrete and dirt etc.
E3F37770-8BA1-49A9-98C5-1200E408B945.jpegFE9AC111-20D6-4F43-9CAF-D5F304306DCD.jpeg

I know that the Beretta 92 magazines can be made to work in a Sig 226 by making the appropriate notch in the appropriate place. Luckily the Sig magazine catch is far enough from the Beretta one that they don't interfere with each other. That makes the modified magazine both Beretta and Sig.

I think the magazine catch on the CZ is very similar to the location on the Sig. If so you should be able to make the Beretta magazine work in a CZ.

If I recall the CZ and Sig have the magazine catch in almost the same location. I think that means you can take a Sig magazine and make it a CZ magazine, but it won't work in the Sig again. Maybe that is backwards.

You can often find Beretta 92 magazines for cheap. Get one and see if you can make it work. That is what I did with my Sig. $10 for a Beretta magazine, some careful measurement, a Dremel and a file, and I had a hybrid Beretta 92/Sig magazine.

I know that Sig 226 and Beretta 92 mags work in Caniks. The Sig mags just need to be expanded upwards a tiny bit and the Beretta mags need to be opened in an entirely new spot. The shape, fit and feeding are otherwise the same.

Some good information in this thread.
I was able to modify two of the three Beretta 92 mags I got for the SP-01 by drilling a new slot (the third didn't fit). Both of the magazines that fit (one pre-ban one Pachmayr 10rds) weren't perfect, I have to pull them out rather than them dropping and there's slightly more resistance when inserting them than a stock mag, but they feed dummy rounds without any problems. The followers need replacing to lock the slide back. It was a fun little project to tinker with but I'd probably take andrew1220's advice and just peruse the internets for CZ/CZ clone pre-bans. I've since found several for ~$15 more than some of the Berettas I've seen around. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Back
Top Bottom