Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Lever

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Pump

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters
Bolt action is most versatile. I do like the old Rem 760 pump though for a hunting rifle they handle well. Lever actions are neat but limited on caliber and ammo selection.

your question is meaningless unless you list the application.
hunting here in new england?
hunting big game out west?
hunting dangerous game?
target shooting?
Cowboy shooting?
competition...
Is there an action that just is right for you, I'm not going to tell you what to use your firearm for. personally I like pumps but that is probably due to familiarity due to running shotgun and 760 for deer hunting the last 35 years.

Is there an action that just is right for you, I'm not going to tell you what to use your firearm for. personally I like pumps but that is probably due to familiarity due to running shotgun and 760 for deer hunting the last 35 years.

A rem 870 just points nice for me. The way it fits and works, like an extension of my body.

That's a tough one. I love me some lever guns. They are just down right fun. But I wouldn't be taking sots of more than 200 yards with iron sights and a lever action.
I can't put an optic on a lever action rifle. I know plenty of folks do, and all the power to them, but I just can't. Optics are for bolts and AR's.

But I also love working the bolt, with the rifle sitting on a sandbag or rest. I enjoy setting up my Rem 700 and working through a box of 308 with a slow deliberate pace, but dinging steel at 300 yards plus. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast type of shit. I especially enjoy that when conditions are challenging. If it's a bit windy out, it's cool to see how you do ringing steel, and it helps me feel like I am getting to know my rifle. I enjoy trying to estimate wind speed by looking at the trees and trying to correct for it with the scope.

I have very little experience with pump action rifles, but do have a far amount with shotguns. I have an old Mossy 500 and a Rem 870, and shoot them well, but if I ever felt the need to use 12 gauge, I am grabbing my Benelli M4.

I also go through phases where I shoot one type of long gun a fair amount, but may not pull it out for a year. There is something about cool/ cold weather that makes me want to shoot bolts and levers, whereas I shoot handguns and AR's year round.
I also feel my rifles are very much purpose driven. A 30-30 lever gun is a super good brush gun. They are handy and quick to bring up and get on target. It's a lot of fun emptying a 30-30 on steel at 100 yards and challenging yourself to see how fast you can empty the tube and score hits. The only time I ever shoot a scoped rifle at less than 300 yards is when checking my zero or dialing in a new scope/ ammo.
I am going to vote lever for the pure fun factor, but I guess I enjoy anything with a trigger.

Also of note is that even antis enjoy shooting my Henry Golden boy. It is sure to bring a smile to even the most inexperienced shooter.
If I know the shooter is generally someone that avoids firearms, I will load the Golden Boy with 22 quiets and its like shooting at the carnival to win a Teddy bear.
Always a big hit, and very easy to shoot accurately.

I think the question is too vague. We (NES) need to know for what purpose, day or night...perhaps twilight, how tightly are your boots laced, are you wearing boots or Crocks, how many Sun spots are there, was that chicken cooked well enough, what is the air pressure in your car tires or are you running those new Michelin airless tires, what's the moisture content of the sill plate on the north side of your house, did you floss, African or European, blood type, etc. Most importantly, does it go to eleven?

your question is meaningless unless you list the application.
hunting here in new england?
hunting big game out west?
hunting dangerous game?
target shooting?
Cowboy shooting?
competition...
Is it? what actions just feel good to you, I'm not asking what tool would you use if you were to do X. I am sure that you wouldn't choose a pump gun to compete in precision rifle, likewise a bolt gun in cowboy action is probably not going to be your first choice.

I'm an old milsurp guy at heart, with a preference for Enfields.

Bolt. Cock-on-close bolt, to be precise...

Back
Top Bottom