Prep of The Day Thread

I just got a few more cans of the Auguson Farms milk, some of the potato shreds, and more butter powder. I buy their stuff to round out my other supplies, like the Mountain House meals and so forth.

It also occurred to me that an overlooked prep would be shoelaces. Talk about a high replacement item.
I use paracord for boot laces...

Just been using up some stuff that I stored about 15 years ago in the basement. Here's what lasted and what didn't:

1) egg noodles, boiled them, worked just fine

2) wheat berries, ground them to make indian Roti bread, worked fine

3) nitro sealed corn meal, works fine

4) freeze dried lentils, no problem
5) white rice , a little bit crumbly when cooked but ok

What didn't work:

1) Dehydrated mashed potatoes with 'butter'-like substance, went rancid.
2) canned tomato sauce, probably ok but had dark color and I didn't want to risk ruining my beef stew
3) canned premixed pancake mix, had gone flat and had unpleasant smell, some active ingredient had reacted slowly

Just received some powdered whole eggs. These reviewed well (with the occasional nut-bag reply)

The seller is the processer and states that these will hold for up to 36 months if stored correctly. 18 months once bag is opened... 😳

Whole Powdered Eggs, 2-Pack, 4 Pounds (64oz), BEST PRICES AND FRESHEST EGGS!, Camping, Emergency, Survival, 140 Large Eggs, Farm Fresh From Iowa, RESEALABLE POUCH​

Reviewers say excellent for cooking and baking.

Amazon product ASIN B08R6JDZ8WView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R6JDZ8W/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

81JYIarV88S._SL1500_.jpg

71WL3C-p8qS._SL1500_.jpg

71f1GZEE7KL._SL1390_.jpg
I must’ve been hammered when I read this. I woke up to 8lbs of powdered eggs on my front steps. I don’t even remember ordering them.
Thanks enbloc. [rofl]

I must’ve been hammered when I read this. I woke up to 8lbs of powdered eggs on my front steps. I don’t even remember ordering them.
Thanks enbloc. [rofl]
I can't have chickens for eggs or fryers where I am now, but I love eggs. These will come in very handy when supply dries up... and for camping.

Bon appetite

Thanks enbloc. [rofl]

I can't have chickens for eggs or fryers where I am now, but I love eggs. These will come in very handy when supply dries up... and for camping.

Bon appetite

Sounds like they might end up pretty handy right away. You ordered any Yoders canned bacon to go with the eggs and work off that hangover?

There still going to nest in the wood pile. I have them run all over when I move the pile from under the lean-to out back to the wood shed at the back door, one tried to run up my arm. Nice cover

There still going to nest in the wood pile. I have them run all over when I move the pile from under the lean-to out back to the wood shed at the back door, one tried to run up my arm. Nice cover
Well, now he can see them and pick them off with a pellet gun. Lead free pellets of course.

Second annual turkey grind. More expensive than last year at 89 cents a pound, but still a rippin deal even with the pork fat added in. Five birds and I yielded about 45 pounds. Still under two bucks a pound. We did this last year and it was awesome. It's all about the fat. My ratio is about 40% fat. Part two will be taking about ten pounds of this and canning meatballs.

20211215_165816.jpg

Second annual turkey grind. More expensive than last year at 89 cents a pound, but still a rippin deal even with the pork fat added in. Five birds and I yielded about 45 pounds. Still under two bucks a pound. We did this last year and it was awesome. It's all about the fat. My ratio is about 40% fat. Part two will be taking about ten pounds of this and canning meatballs.

View attachment 552547
Interesting, do you do this with the after Thanksgiving sales or something?

So you just take a whole turkey, process off the meat, grind and freeze in portions?
That is correct. I debone all the birds. Do a coarse grind. I also course grind the pork fat. Then I blend the two and do a medium grind. The medium grind blends the fat beautifully.

I finished breaking in both of my new generators today (4.8kw and 2kw inverter for backup). I ran each for 3 or 4 hours, varying the load and keeping it under about 50% of their capacity. They are dual fuel and just about finished off one of my 18lb propane cylinders, although it was maybe 1/2 or 2/3 full to start with. I'm going to change the oil on both saturday morning before the snow is supposed to hit. This is my first real New England snow, so I may be a bit over prepared, lol.

I have been living in an apartment for the past few years, so it's great to be able to have room to get prepped again.

That is correct. I debone all the birds. Do a coarse grind. I also course grind the pork fat. Then I blend the two and do a medium grind. The medium grind blends the fat beautifully.
I have a meat grinder attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer. I’m going to try this soon, thanks. What’s the turkey/pork fat ratio?

Back
Top Bottom