Prep of The Day Thread

I just read that a pinch of fresh nutmeg daily is excellent for a woman's heath. It said that it was excellent in coffee...
I haven’t tried coffee, but that could work. I do put cinnamon in with the ground beans before brewing. I’ll try nutmeg soon.
The whole nutmeg, when zested or microplaned is so much better than powdered.
Oh, and mushroom risotto is great with a little fresh zest of nutmeg. Ya, everything is.

Was picking up some synthetic motor oil for the small engines when I realized The price is likely to jump as soon as current stock is rotated out. Bought 15 quarts. should I get more? Stock was low.

Was picking up some synthetic motor oil for the small engines when I realized The price is likely to jump as soon as current stock is rotated out. Bought 15 quarts. should I get more? Stock was low.
If you use it, it never hurts to have it on hand.[thumbsup]

Straight 30W, 15W40 and 5gal of hydraulic fluid for the tractor, along with some carb cleaner and electronics cleaner spray are on my list for my next visit to town.

I didn't put bay leaves in with my rice but it has oxygen absorbers in mylar bags sealed, will that be ok? Do I need to put them in a freezer for a bit? thanks

I got a bunch of buckets and too many lids so I'll have extra if I need more buckets, from epackagesupply dot com
It is a good idea to freeze rice for a couple of days before putting them up for long term storage in mylar with O2 absorbers. I have many 5 gal rice buckets put up in large mylar, and latey I have started vacuum packaging into smaller vac bags, like two cups, or 4 cups, then vacuum packing various beans, such as the bean soup bags you can get at walmart in the same bucket,. So fill with vac sealed rice, beans and a vacuum sealed container of non-iodized salt which you need to cook dry beans. So rice and bean buckets.

It is a good idea to freeze rice for a couple of days before putting them up for long term storage in mylar with O2 absorbers. I have many 5 gal rice buckets put up in large mylar, and latey I have started vacuum packaging into smaller vac bags, like two cups, or 4 cups, then vacuum packing various beans, such as the bean soup bags you can get at walmart in the same bucket,. So fill with vac sealed rice, beans and a vacuum sealed container of non-iodized salt which you need to cook dry beans. So rice and bean buckets.
Sounds good thanks

I have an older version of this. It has doubled in price since I bought it, but that was probably 10 years ago. I used to visit nuclear plants for work and would double-check their counters after I left (to make sure I wasn't contaminated; turns out the counters at the plants were always right). Gotta keep it in a faraday cage of some sort though, it's solid state.

IMI Inspector Alert™ V2

ETA: on that meter, at the max count rate of 1,100 mREM/hr you have ~3 hours till you get to the NRC nuclear plant worker max allowable 3 REM of exposure for a year. If it saturates (goes over 1,100 mREM/hr) it will still read 1,100, so you might be taking more than that.

more info on max does here, TLDR version: 350R of dose = 50% survival rate. REM and Roentgen/RAD are roughly equivalent.

Ch. 10: Fallout Radiation Meters - Nuclear War Survival Skills
I have this one in a faraday bag ($350 when I bought it) but now out of stock … shocker

RADEX Scintillator, Scintillation Detector of ionizing Radiation, dosimeter, lab-Grade Radiation Detector Amazon product ASIN B08L476WDDView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L476WDD

D19FC05C-4E9E-4B10-B1FB-BED9D02BAB32.jpeg

I learned on another website that the Arizona bottles are made of plastic that won't leach over time. They can be used to store water or food. If you use them for water you should put a few drops of bleach in it (I forget the exact number, maybe 3). I think that we were told a few posts ago that rice needs to be repackaged for long term storage. And people often put an oxygen absorber in with their food, but another NES member said he uses a couple of bay leaves - the goal is to prevent bugs. Or maybe the oxygen absorbers are to prevent moisture? I googled rice and bay leaves, and it seems to be a common practice to prevent bugs.

I like the 02 absorbers. If you get as much air as possible out of the bag and then add the 02 absorber it creates a vacuum in the bag. It's easy to tell after that if the seal on the bag failed.

Jesus Christ...if we ever get to the point where we need those, isn’t it just better to call it quits?
Well, you don't need to have WWIII and total nuclear war, just a limited use could put enough fallout in the air where you have to be careful, and in order to be careful, you need to know you should be being careful.

Today, went shopping picked up:
3 gallons of peanut oil,
3qts of vegetable oil,
10lbs all-purpose flour (vacuum sealed it and, in the freezer),
30lbs of sugar,
50 packets of yeast,
5 boxes baking soda (all types of uses)
3 cans of baking powder,
15lbs of assorted pastas, (the pasta isle very thin at Walmart)
5 tubes seasoned breadcrumbs,
a case of canned chickpeas (for hummus)
2-gal cider vinegar (for pickling and relish when the cukes come on),
two packages of large chicken thighs,
4 containers of chicken livers (the dogs love them added to their food and I steal a few for myself while they're eating [smile]).
5 gal hydraulic fluid,
large envelopes of radish, pickling cuke, beet, sugar snap pea, cabbage, okra, crookneck squash, seeds, two 5/8x6 inch bolts with stop nuts ($21 for the seeds and bolts.
100lbs of shell corn
50lbs of corn/oats mix

I picked up (12) 2 Ft^3 bags of raised bed soil from Agway near Littleton. Sooooo much better than the big box store as far as customer service. I had someone ask me what I needed the second I walked in the door, got helpful advice, then had employees load the bags into my truck for me. I will be going back for sure.

I also set up my new solar panel and battery bank and did a test charge. I got about 45 watts out of the panel (they are rated 60 watts, but I'm sure that at noon, at the equator or something). The solar panel got is currently on a lightning deal for $85: Amazon product ASIN B091JZ33TWView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091JZ33TW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the battery bank: Amazon product ASIN B07D29QNMJView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D29QNMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

APFSDS - did that solar panel work with your Jackery? I have a Jackery 300 and just bought a Jackery solar panel, I had heard that their power stations were proprietary and you had to use their solar panels. I hope I'm wrong, I can buy some cheaper panels.

Tomorrow I'm getting a delivery from Harbor Freight - a string of solar powered outdoor lights. I'm thinking I can bring them inside at night if necessary, for some free lighting.

Last edited:

APFSDS - did that solar panel work with your Jackery? I have a Jackery 300 and just bought a Jackery solar panel, I had heard that their power stations were proprietary and you had to use their solar panels. I hope I'm wrong, I can buy some cheaper panels.

Tomorrow I'm getting a delivery from Harbor Freight - a string of solar powered outdoor lights. I'm thinking I can bring them inside at night if necessary, for some free lighting.
It did, it came with a bunch of barrel plug adapters and thankfully one fit and it charged. I only left it outside for like 2 hours but the charge went up 25 or 30 % in that time.

I ordered 10 cases of various food in #10 cans from Bishop's Storehouse. $3 shipping on the whole order. Some things were back ordered so they split up the shipment. No additional cost.

The balance of my order will be delivered this weekend. This is my first time ordering from them. They seem to be pretty streamlined.

Just unhitched the dump trailer a few minutes ago with another load of oak blocks......but this time it was only $30 instead of the $45 last time and it was all the same stuff as last time, plus I went around the side of the large pile and found 22 nice clean poplar boards, full 1x6x30. Those will make a nice gardening table top.

I ordered 10 cases of various food in #10 cans from Bishop's Storehouse. $3 shipping on the whole order. Some things were back ordered so they split up the shipment. No additional cost.

The balance of my order will be delivered this weekend. This is my first time ordering from them. They seem to be pretty streamlined.
So have you gotten anything from your order yet? Does it arrive in unmarked boxes, or does it say "SURVIVAL FOOD" on it?

Back
Top Bottom