Prep of The Day Thread

• I started on my enlarged garden plot. I was traveling late last month so am a little late to the game.
  • Ordered a JASE case which should be here today!
  • I am going to do some research on JASE daily and see the cost. I have a handy spreadsheet I can filter for the most critical meds that has dosage etc. on it, so that should help.
  • I finally broke down and got the topo map SD card for my GPS that covers the Northeast. It was invaluable when I was on my buddy's property in TN (I already have the southeast map).
  • I ordered and received a grain mill. I had a corona years ago but gave it away when I moved here. I don't store wheat, but all my research indicates that whole, unmilled grains would be the majority of our diet in a long-term emergency (we have grain in silos all over the place in the US apparently, and it would be given out as food aid by the Fed GOV, which I plan on accepting to supplement what I already have), so I bought a victoria hand mill. I had a corona previously that worked fined and I guess they are made by the same company.
  • I signed up for a stop the bleed class in June

Dang, people, best few days in a while in this thread.

Yeah, #$%^ has gotten real, and is continuing to get real at an increasing pace. The chances of a large-scale SHTF event continue to go up IMHO, and prepping seems more necessary than ever. I have been in serious prep mode for the last few months.

Yeah, #$%^ has gotten real, and is continuing to get real at an increasing pace. The chances of a large-scale SHTF event continue to go up IMHO, and prepping seems more necessary than ever. I have been in serious prep mode for the last few months.
Every day, things get worse and worse. Nothing improves, ever. The country is circling the bowl faster and faster. The economy is deliberately being collapsed as well as our food supply.

Every day, things get worse and worse. Nothing improves, ever. The country is circling the bowl faster and faster. The economy is deliberately being collapsed as well as our food supply.

You know, years ago, I used to be pilloried for exhibiting that opinion here. [laugh]

The chickens have come home to roost.

No, I grew up there, work there often. Surprised no one is getting their stuff stolen
Shakers used to size their gardens something like:
1/3 to eat
1/3 to sell
1/3 for the thieves

Thieves were anything that stole from the garden: animals, birds, neighbors. They considered it charity and it was better to account for it than to be mad about it. And people most likely only stole when they had no other options.

Nowadays I figure people will take what they want and ruin the rest. I have little faith in people.

I spent two half-days clearing a spot for my expanded garden this weekend. I already planted the stuff that is OK in partial sun over in my raised beds, but I wanted something in direct sun for everything else. I'm a bit late to the game but I think I should have enough time to get a harvest of corn, root veggies, beans and tomatoes. I also spent a few hours doing some more research on night vision. I'm waiting for the memorial day sales that will (hopefully) occur near the end of the month, but I am going to get a mil spec or better thin-film tube gen III PVS-14, either green or white (whatever I can get the better deal on, honestly). Looking at JRH, steele industries and TNVC.

My neighbor gave this to me because he wanted room in his garage and couldn’t get it to work. I said it probably just needs a new battery. He said he just wants it gone!

Giving it to my friend that knows how to fix these things and in my core circle of mutual aid, prepping, etc.

334D01AD-1BA0-4D53-A53D-548B148215EE.jpeg

Yeah. I'm trying to create solutions that allow keeping all 8 jump seats in the vehicle. We're going to try a hammock on the other side because if that works the jump seats can all be moved to under the hammock.

New "jack" for the dozer to be able to change tires in the field. I have a base plate for soft ground and some cribbing as well to find a home for on the rig. Each tire/rim is 650lbs. There's a chain fall to raise and lower the spare.

20230516_225542.jpg

Eventually I will get two more of these and weld up some custom jack stands to be able to have an axle fully off the ground.

I finally finished up my 10x20 garden plot in about four hours this morning. I got it cultivated as best I could (totally manual with a hoe and manual cultivator), and got everything planted and fenced in. I was racing against time, as it was supposed to rain this afternoon and it did, probably an hour after I got finished. Perfect timing! My kale and lettuce are starting to sprout in the raised beds as well.

Found two free sheds a few towns away. Going to make one a flammables storage away from other buildings and the other a pig house for the piglets we're building a pen for.

Also found a pallet of 390W scratch and dent solar panels from a large farm installation
I'm picking up Monday. 19 for $600 which is an insane price. I'm hoping to just get 5 or 6 I can use to upgrade the 100Ws currently on the kill dozer and the rest I'll probably add to my house system isolated and fused on their own charge controller to boost winter production.

Cleaver Plant: Have been pulling this weed out and tossing it for years. Now I find it has Herbal benefits.

'Like the dandelion, a wild plant called “cleavers” arrives in springtime. Cleavers is one of the most useful herbs in our home! She is an amazing spring cleanser and lymph mover, removing waste and abnormal cells. Learn how to identify this plant, the health benefits of cleavers, and how to use this medicinal herb in your home.

You may not be familiar with the cleavers plant (Galium Aparine), though you’ve probably come across this unassuming “weed” outdoors in your yard, along a street, or in a park. It’s not as flashy as the yellow-flowered dandelion. But, like to the dandelion, cleavers is also an edible plant with medicinal uses, joining many other wild plants, including violet, chickweed, purslane, and stinging nettle. Other common names for cleavers are goose grass, bedstraw, and cleaver wort.'

Benefits of the Cleavers Plant: A Spring Herb for Health

cleavers-plant.jpg

Back
Top Bottom