Preview: Detroit Free Press on non-LEOs being able to purchase body armor

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Examining the case for a ban on body armor after mass shooting in Buffalo
It's a scene that increasingly comes with questions: How on Earth can civilians get their hands on body armor they plan to use in battles against the first responders it's meant for? Is that against the law? What can be done?

The answers: They buy it, visiting anything from a website to a swap meet. It's legal to own, with limited exceptions. And there's little to be done to restrict sales — which probably isn't as outrageous as it might seem after Buffalo.
"By design and by choice, we sell body armor to law enforcement, other first responders and security personnel only," Riddell said. "We do not sell to civilians."'
In this country, police _are_ civilians, but OK.

No surprise the law enforcement industry does not want non-LEOs to be able to purchase body armor. They don't want us armed, either.

Lament from NPR:
Body armor, worn by the Buffalo shooter, faces far fewer regulations than guns
In the U.S., body armor is subject to far fewer restrictions nationwide than guns. Its use in mass shootings has ticked up in recent years, experts say, raising questions about the equipment's accessibility and fears about the deadliness of such shootings, if police are unable to use deadly force to stop them.
In a sharp contrast with firearms, no states require background checks, permits or registration.

Some retailers decline to sell to civilians. But others sell products to anyone who will purchase it.

Great...

Now, I have to stock up on pre ban body armor now?

I don't even use it and I don't know many civilians who wear it normally.

But if the government is going to ban it - back up the truck!

Back
Top Bottom