• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Price Check? Carl Gustafs 1915 M96

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I've already discussed this with a valued friend, but would like the hive mind thoughts on this C&R gun.

I spotted a very nice looking Carl Gustafs M96, 1915, 6.5x55SE rifle. Has the metal disk insert, finish is excellent and everything BUT the bolt matches. There be the rub.

It's at a dealer (might be a consignment) for $250. I would have snapped it if it was all matching, but the unmatched bolt has made me hesitant. I'm primarily a collector (general),

Thoughts on price?

Is it worth buying as a collectible or should I just pass?

Rather a shooter than a collectible.
However, even if a Swede is all matching, it very likely had one or more barrels exchanged.
Just count the number of crowns in the heel and you'll know, how often this has happened.

Hi Len, Check the stock disk for a small arrow looking mark over the number. The 1,2,3 are bore condition. if it is marked over the 1 its in excellent shape and decreases in quality as the number go higher.

Heck go for it if its marked 1. They are beautifully made rifles.
-Fred

Most Swedes match and are in very good to excellent condition, a result of never having been in a war, brought home as a bring back or picked up off of a battle field. Back when Swedes were still being sold on the wholesale market, they all came from the arsenals in Sweden and not secondary countries. That being the case, it is normal for a Swede to match and therefor is a big deal for a Swede to not match. It is the opposite of say a K98 where it is a big deal if it matches.

The price seems high to me, but is hard to keep track of prices so I will let others give the advice on that. Just keep in mind that when you go to resell, the fact that it does not match will be a big deal.

Take into consideration of 6.5x55 ammo price and availability. If you can reload it, great, but its hard to find and pricey when its around.

If ammo isn't a concern and the stock disc designates a good barrel, I'd grab it and swap out the front sight for a taller one, file it to 100 yards and use it for a fun and very accurate shooter.

Shoot me an e mail if you want info on the taller sight rework.

For now here is some info on reading the disc:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/disc.html

Go for it Len - it ain't gonna get any cheaper soon!

Shoot it for a while, and if you find a better (matching) example later, just upgrade!

I already have a Triple Crown that I bought back in 2000. Google doesn't give me the info I was looking for on this variant and I can't recall the significance other than everyone on the C&R Lists were swearing by this variant . . . oh well.

Hi Len, Check the stock disk for a small arrow looking mark over the number. The 1,2,3 are bore condition. if it is marked over the 1 its in excellent shape and decreases in quality as the number go higher.

Heck go for it if its marked 1. They are beautifully made rifles.
-Fred

Fred, it was either 0 or 1

Rather a shooter than a collectible.
However, even if a Swede is all matching, it very likely had one or more barrels exchanged.
Just count the number of crowns in the heel and you'll know, how often this has happened.

Is this on the heel of the handgrip? Or the metal butt-plate? Didn't see any crowns on the metal butt-plate, but didn't look under the handgrip.

Take into consideration of 6.5x55 ammo price and availability. If you can reload it, great, but its hard to find and pricey when its around.

If ammo isn't a concern and the stock disc designates a good barrel, I'd grab it and swap out the front sight for a taller one, file it to 100 yards and use it for a fun and very accurate shooter.

Shoot me an e mail if you want info on the taller sight rework.

For now here is some info on reading the disc:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/disc.html

I already have a small stash of Priv Partisan ammo that I bought for the Triple Crown, so ammo isn't a major problem right now.

Thanks to all for the good info. That's what I was hoping for.

Hi I have a Carl Gustafson stands gevarsfaktori and looks like 1907 because. There was a scope on it the calibre is 6.5x55 I have the long round end ammo for it all the numbers match on the bolt to everything on the gun. The gun is berry short and I can’t find one like it on the web can anyone tell me anything abought it the guns total length is 3 foot1 1/2 inches long Frome end of Baral to end of stock

We like to help you,but without pictures this is going no where fast.

Hi I have a Carl Gustafson stands gevarsfaktori and looks like 1907 because. There was a scope on it the calibre is 6.5x55 I have the long round end ammo for it all the numbers match on the bolt to everything on the gun. The gun is berry short and I can’t find one like it on the web can anyone tell me anything abought it the guns total length is 3 foot1 1/2 inches long Frome end of Baral to end of stock

@MGnoob is that you?

1907 was a bad year for Swedish Mauser production. Something about bad heat treatment. It's worth $12 but I'm a nice guy and will give you $15. It might be worth $600 more if you gave a shit about spelling and going green to post in classifieds.

1907 was a bad year for Swedish Mauser production. Something about bad heat treatment. It's worth $12 but I'm a nice guy and will give you $15. It might be worth $600 more if you gave a shit about spelling and going green to post in classifieds.
Come on now, maybe hes like me, most misspelling is key stroke error
Is 3’ short for M96

Come on now, maybe hes like me, most misspelling is key stroke error
Is 3’ short for M96
Meh, looks like another weak attempt at selling without pony-ing up for a membership to properly post in the classifieds. Not just spelling- that post is a mess.

IDK about the length- mine is completely disassembled to re-barrel for the eventual sniper clone. If short for a rifle could be a carbine or some bubba job.

Meh, looks like another weak attempt at selling without pony-ing up for a membership to properly post in the classifieds. Not just spelling- that post is a mess.

IDK about the length- mine is completely disassembled to re-barrel for the eventual sniper clone. If short for a rifle could be a carbine or some bubba job.
Hey im thinking of selling mine, what can I get for it, ammo , bullets , brass , dies , lol

Back
Top Bottom