Price Gouging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell is a great book written for everyday people in plain English. It does a great job of describing different economic situations.

When demand rises, sellers raise their prices to meet the demand, buyers buy what they need and no more. A benefit of this is that there tends to be more product available for everyone. Maybe not as much as you'd like, but at least you have something.

Say a hurricane hits. Motel #1 keeps prices the same, motel #2 raises them to meet the higher demand.

A family goes to #1 and rents a room for wife and husband, and another for the kids, and maybe a third for the mother in law. A few families later, the rooms are all rented and the next guy to come along is SOL.

Now, a family goes to #2. Because of the higher price, maybe they all make due with one room or at the most, two rooms. More rooms for available for everyone. May be cramped, and may not be happy about what they paid, but its better than sleeping in the street.

You can pay a higher price for something you want or need, or you can look at a "SOLD OUT" sign for products sold at the regular price.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economi...ie=UTF8&qid=1356113560&sr=8-1&keywords=sowell

http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Econo...3691&sr=1-1&keywords=sowell,applied+Economics

You dont like the price. Dont buy it. Its like the stock market. Buy low sell high.
People invested in lowers, mags, etc and have been sitting on some of this stuff since 2004. They had $$ tied up for years.

No one wants to see an AWB. But if ithappens the smart people are in low.
Blame the govenment they are the ones that create this. No one else. Its sour grapes to complain now you didnt have to be a psychic to see this coming.

True. The time to buy, regardless of what it is, is never when everyone's talking about it. Houses, stocks, p-mags, whatever. Buy when your the only one around and sell when the party is in full swing.

For giggles, I bought an FNMI 1:7 twist rifle barrel a couple years ago on GB. It cost me $180 and I just let it sit because it's a pain to find a flat-top upper with rifle ramps. But they are not all that common so I bought it on a whim. In September I decided I might as well put it all together. In October I got my LRB lower and finished it up in November. Total cost of the build, $500 (actually less but that's a good ball park). I have 2 others that I also built and neither cost more than $700. I never expect to be able to do that again....

I'm also keeping track of who's jacking up prices this week. Those will be the places I look if I need something urgently in a few weeks, because they're the only ones with a chance of still having it.

I bought my house at the top of the market... and now it's worth less. It was worth it. I've sold stuff on here for less than I paid for it many times, and given away stuff for free. It was worth it. I'm selling my rifle to upgrade, and it's going up for more than I paid for it. That's the market. If no one wants it at the price? Well... I still have an AR, and they don't.

eta: It's going on GB for $100 more than I paid for it. No reserve. The rest is up to the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
For giggles, I bought an FNMI 1:7 twist rifle barrel a couple years ago on GB. It cost me $180 and I just let it sit because it's a pain to find a flat-top upper with rifle ramps. But they are not all that common so I bought it on a whim. In September I decided I might as well put it all together. In October I got my LRB lower and finished it up in November. Total cost of the build, $500 (actually less but that's a good ball park). I have 2 others that I also built and neither cost more than $700. I never expect to be able to do that again....

Sad isn't it. The first AR I built was around $600 and could have been less if I went with a cheaper rail. The 6.8 I built was around $650. The most recent "old school" AR15 (configured like classic Vietnam M16) I built cost me around $575 - plastic handguards are cheap. I suspect any new builds will be at least several hundred dollars more as long as parts are in short supply.

And you didn't expect a price increase? People have been planning for this for 4+ years. I personally saw people buying 5 striped lowers at a time. These people are not gougers they are prepared. Had you been one of the persons with 5 extra AR's and 30 extra mags, you'd be trying to make a profit also.

If I put my spare fill in the blank up on GB with no reserve and a 0.99 cent start the end price is up to the buyer. The real money will be made in the ninety days before a passed ban takes effect $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom