• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primary Arms experience?

Looking for an “affordable”scope for a build and was curious if anyone had any experience with either of these models. I have a PA 1-6X that has remarkably clear glass for the price. Curious if the great “bang for buck” translates to all of their products. YouTube seems to think so but I’d love to hear anyone else’s experiences.
Thanks.

Looking for an “affordable”scope for a build and was curious if anyone had any experience with either of these models. I have a PA 1-6X that has remarkably clear glass for the price. Curious if the great “bang for buck” translates to all of their products. YouTube seems to think so but I’d love to hear anyone else’s experiences.
Thanks.

I own (3) 4 x 14 x 44 (1) is a 5.56 HUD DMR on a 20" 223 Wylde bull varmint barrel that shoots my 55 gr reloads at close to sub MOA from the bench out to 200yds. The others are 308/223 HUD DMR go on an AR10 with an 18" barrel and another one on an M1A with a Match barrel and that definitely shoots sub MOA with factory 150 gr ammo. I made my decision after watching a video (Insane Accuracy) of a guy shooting from 1000yds down to 250 yds ringing steel in less than 30 seconds using the BDC reticle on this scope. It it simple to use and understand so for the cost well worth it to me.

I own (3) 4 x 14 x 44 (1) is a 5.56 HUD DMR on a 20" 223 Wylde bull varmint barrel that shoots my 55 gr reloads at close to sub MOA from the bench out to 200yds. The others are 308/223 HUD DMR go on an AR10 with an 18" barrel and another one on an M1A with a Match barrel and that definitely shoots sub MOA with factory 150 gr ammo. I made my decision after watching a video (Insane Accuracy) of a guy shooting from 1000yds down to 250 yds ringing steel in less than 30 seconds using the BDC reticle on this scope. It it simple to use and understand so for the cost well worth it to me.

This is quite helpful. Any complaints with glass quality, clarity, durability? Don’t know why I’m poking further. More glowing reviews for a sub $300 scope, I should just shut up and save the $200!

don't own any of the products you're interested in but from watching primary product reviews on youtube they are roughed up and still perform. they toss some scopes and red dots against walls, put them back on a gun and they still do what's advertised. it's the reason i participated in the couple of group buys for primary red dots for my ars. i know, not the same and not in the aimpoint class but they've been bounced around, toppled over and one down right abused and they work wonderfully still for a $80/ea. purchase. (for a primary red dot, not scope) one toppled over onto concrete while on the rifle and held zero. made me think hard on a primary scope upcoming purchase but i went with another brand for the only reason that it was in front of me at the time. i'm sure the scopes are tough bastards that would work well. my 2 cents. [wink]

This is quite helpful. Any complaints with glass quality, clarity, durability? Don’t know why I’m poking further. More glowing reviews for a sub $300 scope, I should just shut up and save the $200!

If you are ever around SW NH you are more than welcome to take a look and see for yourself. You can even shoot them on my 200yd range 35' outside my
gun/reloading room. :cool:

I have the first gen of their 4-14 FFP with a mil reticle, for the price, it's a great product.
I've only ever had one issue, and it was promptly solved. I usually look to them first. I just bought their 1-6 FFP ACSS for 7.62x39, and I really like it.
If they're what your budget allows, I think you'll be pretty happy

3-18x is a very popular thing now but I hate that reticle. It is too complex for BDC and not detailed enough for precision at 18x.

Also, think well if you want a 3-18 or 5-25x as that new vortex venom is actually quite good, I just zeroed mine today. It is not illuminated, but, a good deal with good reticle at $499.

Explain the build a bit more, may be. That may help.

Last edited:
Japanese glass, FFP, zero stop, tracking guarantee, 34 mm tube, usable illuminated reticle. Gotta wait a little, but features don’t lie. At least on paper, it beats the piss out of the PA.

My 4-14x44 showed up yesterday. First impressions are great considering the price. Zeroing it tomorrow and can report back. Wife thinks it’s hilarious, the sun shade makes it 1/2 the length of the rifle.

My 4-14x44 showed up yesterday. First impressions are great considering the price. Zeroing it tomorrow and can report back. Wife thinks it’s hilarious, the sun shade makes it 1/2 the length of the rifle

My 4-14x44 showed up yesterday. First impressions are great considering the price. Zeroing it tomorrow and can report back. Wife thinks it’s hilarious, the sun shade makes it 1/2 the length of the rifle.
Here's one on my M1A NM

Attachments

• M1A NM 1.jpg
    M1A NM 1.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 21
Japanese glass, FFP, zero stop, tracking guarantee, 34 mm tube, usable illuminated reticle. Gotta wait a little, but features don’t lie. At least on paper, it beats the piss out of the PA.
I did read about it. It is a bit heavy and is at strike eagle level glass wise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dhlic-ZRko

and discussion:

New vortex venom 5-25x has better glass but no illumination, at $500.

Last edited:
So the 4-14x44 FFP is good to go. Clear glass, easy to dial in, controls are great, and OK eye relief; couldn’t be happier for the money.

Not as happy with the performance of my new build (though I still love it). Need to fiddle with buffer weights I think. Gassing issue I assume, but don’t have an adjustable block. I’ll get it sorted soon enough.

So the 4-14x44 FFP is good to go. Clear glass, easy to dial in, controls are great, and OK eye relief; couldn’t be happier for the money.

Not as happy with the performance of my new build (though I still love it). Need to fiddle with buffer weights I think. Gassing issue I assume, but don’t have an adjustable block. I’ll get it sorted soon enough.

The PA 4-14 is a fantastic scope. I got it for around 170 with the one piece mount, absolutely fantastic scope for that kind of money. Really the only things to complain about are the weight (like a boat anchor on top of the gun) and it starts to get fuzzy and dim at 14x. Both are easy to overlook given the price.

The PA products are great. I have had their red dots and scopes with zero issues. I've upgraded since then but you cant go wrong with PA, plus after years and a sh*t ton of orders there customer service has always been fantastic with me on returns or warranty issues.

I bought quite a bit from PA today. A whole set of parts for an AR10 build, $1250 total using 20” aero m5 6.5CM complete upper, m5 lower and parts. And, also that 3-18x glass, with 12% discount it was $425. Will see how it all will work out.

Back
Top Bottom