printing in public in Mass. problems

I am not an attorney. I think there was a case that put this to rest? Its something like the person wasn't doing anything wrong etc.. I just can't remember the name of the case. Someone with the knowledge will jump in.

I found it

Moreover, based upon the SJC's ruling in Simkin, a licensing authority CANNOT suspend or revoke a license for printing or open carry.

Just curious -- if I am printing too much in public and I have
my LTC on me am I in any kind of trouble in Mass. with the law??
Afaik, there are no "anti printing" laws in MA, or any where else for that matter.
It's not even illegal to open carry, in MA. Doesn't mean you won't be called out for it, but it's not illegal.
Brandishing, now that's another story.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware MA has no "brandishing" law.

However, you could quite likely get charged with something similar if you were to draw on somebody. I thought "assault with a deadly weapon" was the norm--even if you don't actually harm them physically.

ETA here's a couple of quotes from a thread before where this was discussed. No brandishing law in MGL:
There is no such thing as "brandishing" under MGL. Nor is there any legal requirement to conceal a handgun.

-Mike
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

Simkin v. FRB, MA SJC, confirmed that it is not the responsibility of the LTC holder if someone is scared because the LTC holder is doing exactly what the state has licensed him/her to do. In a rare decision favorable to LTC holders, the SJC ordered revoked LTC restored to an individual who caused weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth in a medical facility by calmly advising those attending to his medical needs that he was armed.

Honestly, I don't worry about it. I try to keep it well concealed though. Only place I've walked around with my gun in sight on my hip was at a Chick-fil-a when my shirt rode up over my gun when I got out of my truck. Not the end of the world, but when I discovered it in the men's room, I was still kinda glad I was in Jacksonville, FL rather than Mass.

Printing is not the same as being exposed, FYI. You can print all day long and nobody in Mass will notice, not even most cops. Maybe another gun guy from NES would see, and wonder what you're carrying, but I assure you, the people around here assume nobody but cops have guns so you'll be fine. Now if the gun is actually showing, most people will still not notice, or if they do, their Massified minds will tell them that you MUST be a cop because only cops should have guns, and you'll most likely still be fine. The circumstances where you're going to get the law called on you for printing are like a perfect storm, that most likely won't ever happen. And so what if you do, printing is not in any way against the law, where as a gung-ho cop could try to make a case that you are scaring people if it's actually exposed.

I stopped worrying about it a decade ago. Most of the people will just assume it is a cellphone.

I hate seeing posts like these. It just shows how browbeaten gun owners in this state are. It is really sad that it has gotten to this point.

Bob
This X fing 1000. Spot on.

Same here.......I hate small micro gay carry guns. Ive gone thru the stages...of feeling the need to conceal....and its stupid. I've sold every small
gun I've bought.

Meanwhile....the market is red hot for micro/small carry guns.....and those people will find out the same thing.......putting a small handle on a tool you might need to
grab quickly and control under recoil is super dumb. Espeically for those of us with a little spare tire in the middle, that kinda gets in the way of the grab, and fat fingers or large hands that just hang off of those little sub compact handles.

Mostly went to a G19 size, which is OK, but now.....I find myself carrying full size pistol year round under a tshirt and don't give a care, and probably print like hell.
The only thing I change is in the winter I go to OWB, under the sweatshirt is always more comfortable.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware MA has no "brandishing" law.

However, you could quite likely get charged with something similar if you were to draw on somebody. I thought "assault with a deadly weapon" was the norm--even if you don't actually harm them physically.
I agree, wasn't implying that there is a brandishing law. More like that scenario would be more likely to get you jacked up in some form or fashion.

I know it's a tired question, but he's a newbie and it's a legitimate (if repetitious) question.

OP. Short answer is that legally speaking you're ok. HOWEVER, MA licensing is discretionary and it's not out of the realm of possibility that you'll attract the interest of a badge and even if the outcome is clean, any interaction with LEO is to be avoided ideally. TL : DR - be careful and don't worry too much about it.

ETA: Now go read the stickies...all your questions will be answered.

I stopped worrying about it a decade ago. Most of the people will just assume it is a cellphone.

I hate seeing posts like these. It just shows how browbeaten gun owners in this state are. It is really sad that it has gotten to this point.

Bob
I'm carrying a full size 1911 out and about these days with winter clothes and such. I know it prints alot......but I've never been called out for it. Most people in public are totally buried in their cell phones these days to notice anything anyway.

In MA, since open carry is technically legal, if you had a LTC-A, couldn't you strap on two desert eagles on your belt and walk around Boston streets? As long as you're not doing anything illegal, cops can't touch you amirite?

I've been "Made" a couple of times in the past like decade or so and absolutely nothing happened.

It was pretty funny though when my ex told me about one incident at a restauraunt

"Mike when you stretched your shirt came up over your gun, the lady sitting at the table behind us defiinitely saw it and her eyes became huge"

I knew she wasnt lying because at the time I had a Special Ed bus on my hip, OWB (HK USP compact....)

bus.jpg

Afaik, there are no "anti printing" laws in MA, or any where else for that matter.
It's not even illegal to open carry. Doesn't mean you won't be called out for it, but it's not illegal.
But it comes down to the licensing authority deciding you are unsuitable and you have no recourse without emptying your bank account.

I believe that in MA, it's Assault with a Dangerous Weapon as there is no such thing as "Brandishing " under MA law.
It's not even illegal to open carry, in MA. Doesn't mean you won't be called out for it, but it's not illegal.

Honestly, I don't worry about it. I try to keep it well concealed though.

Printing is not the same as being exposed, FYI. You can print all day long and nobody in Mass will notice, not even most cops. Maybe another gun guy from NES would see, and wonder what you're carrying, but I assure you, the people around here assume nobody but cops have guns so you'll be fine. Now if the gun is actually showing, most people will still not notice, or if they do, their Massified minds will tell them that you MUST be a cop because only cops should have guns, and you'll most likely still be fine. The circumstances where you're going to get the law called on you for printing are like a perfect storm, that most likely won't ever happen. And so what if you do, printing is not in any way against the law, where as a gung-ho cop could try to make a case that you are scaring people if it's actually exposed.

I'm carrying a full size 1911 out and about these days with winter clothes and such. I know it prints alot......but I've never been called out for it. Most people in public are totally buried in their cell phones these days to notice anything anyway.

Before you carried did you ever notice someone “printing”? Most people are oblivious.

Those who care don't notice, those who notice don't care.

Once you have been carrying for a couple of months you'll get a chuckle for worrying about it so much.

Back
Top Bottom