• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private F2F gun sale in MA (or bad E FA10 implementation)

I am long time forum lurker moving from MA to NH, so I decided to sell two handguns that will soon be replaceable.

An ad went up on the forum a little over a week ago and received a few responses within a few hours that kept coming over the weekend. From one of the initial responses, one buyer seemed really interested - so we setup an appointment for last Monday after work.

The buyer showed up with cash and the majority of the transaction was great. Then we tried to use states E-FA10 form... I never expected sell a gun F2F and haven't followed the law updates as closely as I should have. The form failed famously and when we called into the state, after verifying both of our LTCs and PINs, they said tough. I called the Winchester PD who said find online and use the old FA10 form and mail it in. So we filled it out and off in the mail it went on Tuesday morning.

Fast forward to today, Saturday, when picking up the mail - a letter from the state informing me paper FA10s are not accepted anymore. It also said if the online form isn't filled out immediately, prison may be in the future. Off to the website again and not shocking - the same error as Monday. Since the state is not open for business on weekends, I decided to take a more methodical approach to backing out more information and determine the real error. The first page of the form is setup poorly at best. It turns out any optional seller information causes the system to return an invalid pin error. The optional information being requested is last name and date of birth.

Well, the two sales have been successfully recorded. This system is horrible - which is certainly part of the point. I also feel better that I am legally compliant and have a receipt to prove it...

I am impressed how quickly the state sent the forms back.

On a side note - it is really impressive how many people look at the Northeast Shooters classified section!

Anthony

Hypothetically speaking: what if we woke up one morning and decided '**** these FA10 shit! I will buy and sell guns as free men should!'

Never mind, I re read the OP. I've never had trouble with the eFA-10 system but I've always done it on a computer and I guess not filled the optional parts in.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a big issue with the eFA-10... I've done it myself twice now.
If you fill out all the fields, it fails as though your PIN is bad.
You can only do PIN *or* last name and DOB, not both.

It does actually say that, but on the tiny cell phone screen, it's hard to see, and easy to miss.

Unless theses guns are more valued in mass I would have just sold them once I got the F out.
The e fa10 is a pita although I had more issues with returned paper forms.

To the best of my knowledge the paper FA-10 form is still all that is required of you to report a transaction. Their threatening letter to you is simply a return receipt.

To the best of my knowledge the paper FA-10 form is still all that is required of you to report a transaction. Their threatening letter to you is simply a return receipt.

uhm.... No.

online is the only accepted way since earlier this year

If it still gives you these error messages, could you just use an FFL and take the edge off?

I was selling a Colt and Kimber that came into the state after '98, during the gray period. I don't think an FFL can transfer these guns.

Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

Unless theses guns are more valued in mass I would have just sold them once I got the F out.
The e fa10 is a pita although I had more issues with returned paper forms.

Any handgun not on the list, is more value able in this state. The list created an artificially inflated second hand economy within the state.

You're not filling out this section of the form are you? It is only if you have a PAPER LICENSE.
This is the biggest mistake filers make filling out the E FA-10.
Leave it blank otherwise.

* If you have a paper firearms license, enter Last Name and Date of Birth EXACTLY as it appears on your license.

Last Name:

Date of Birth:
(MMDDYYYY)

Hypothetically speaking: what if we woke up one morning and decided '**** these FA10 shit! I will buy and sell guns as free men should!'
It's the seller's responsibility to fill out the form so if you want to sell me something I'm interested in and skip the form, I'm down.

You're not filling out this section of the form are you? It is only if you have a PAPER LICENSE.
This is the biggest mistake filers make filling out the E FA-10.
Leave it blank otherwise.

* If you have a paper firearms license, enter Last Name and Date of Birth EXACTLY as it appears on your license.

Last Name:

Date of Birth:
(MMDDYYYY)

I see that now - at the time, it seemed like both were needed. The or part of the statement is really vague on the website. It could be implemented much better.

Yep. My first go-round I had the same problem. Now smooth as silk. Well as smooth as bureaucratic BS can be...

I had the same issue a few months ago when they started this efa10 bs. I had to play with it for over an hour with a buyer from near Worcester who came to South Shore to buy. What a piece of crap site, it worked before, the only thing changing was the name or lack of the site.

I am long time forum lurker moving from MA to NH, so I decided to sell two handguns that will soon be replaceable.

An ad went up on the forum a little over a week ago and received a few responses within a few hours that kept coming over the weekend. From one of the initial responses, one buyer seemed really interested - so we setup an appointment for last Monday after work.

The buyer showed up with cash and the majority of the transaction was great. Then we tried to use states E-FA10 form... I never expected sell a gun F2F and haven't followed the law updates as closely as I should have. The form failed famously and when we called into the state, after verifying both of our LTCs and PINs, they said tough. I called the Winchester PD who said find online and use the old FA10 form and mail it in. So we filled it out and off in the mail it went on Tuesday morning.

Fast forward to today, Saturday, when picking up the mail - a letter from the state informing me paper FA10s are not accepted anymore. It also said if the online form isn't filled out immediately, prison may be in the future. Off to the website again and not shocking - the same error as Monday. Since the state is not open for business on weekends, I decided to take a more methodical approach to backing out more information and determine the real error. The first page of the form is setup poorly at best. It turns out any optional seller information causes the system to return an invalid pin error. The optional information being requested is last name and date of birth.

Well, the two sales have been successfully recorded. This system is horrible - which is certainly part of the point. I also feel better that I am legally compliant and have a receipt to prove it...

I am impressed how quickly the state sent the forms back.

On a side note - it is really impressive how many people look at the Northeast Shooters classified section!

Anthony

People essentially did this in huge numbers when the state started rejecting paper FA10s. Nothing happened. I doubt anything would happen now, either. The S128A/B crap is rarely (if ever?) enforced.

Back
Top Bottom