• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private sales to minors?

I've looked all over the internet; I've asked gun people, asked on Reddit, looked on sites about gun laws, and looked over legal documents. Still, I cannot find a decisive answer to my question; is it legal for a private seller to sell a long gun to a minor? Some sources say nobody outside immediate family can transfer a firearm of any kind to a minor, while others say anyone can give a minor a long gun, and immediate family can transfer a hand gun to a minor. I'm 15 and would like to have a Mosin Nagant, but I'm still not completely sure if purchasing one from a private seller is legal. I'm assuming it is, considering laws regarding long guns are more lax, but I really don't want to gamble the freedom of myself and someone else on an assumption. If anyone can give me an accurate answer, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

edit: I'm in New Hampshire, not Massachusetts. I should've specified earlier

Last edited:
Section 130. Whoever sells or furnishes a rifle, shotgun or ammunition to any alien 18 years of age or older who does not hold a permit card issued to that alien pursuant to section 131H or, except as provided in this section or section 131E, whoever sells or furnishes any alien or any person under 18 years of age a rifle, shotgun, machine gun or ammunition, or whoever sells or furnishes to any person under 21 years of age a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor shall have the license to sell firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns or ammunition revoked and shall not be entitled to apply for such license for 10 years from the date of such revocation and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 10 years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 1/2 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

However:

Section 130 1/2. Notwithstanding section 130 or any general or special law to the contrary, it shall be lawful to furnish a weapon to a minor for hunting, recreation, instruction and participation in shooting sports while under the supervision of a holder of a valid firearm identification card or license to carry appropriate for the weapon in use; provided, however, that the parent or guardian of the minor granted consent for such activities.

Section 130. Whoever sells or furnishes a rifle, shotgun or ammunition to any alien 18 years of age or older who does not hold a permit card issued to that alien pursuant to section 131H or, except as provided in this section or section 131E, whoever sells or furnishes any alien or any person under 18 years of age a rifle, shotgun, machine gun or ammunition, or whoever sells or furnishes to any person under 21 years of age a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor shall have the license to sell firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns or ammunition revoked and shall not be entitled to apply for such license for 10 years from the date of such revocation and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 10 years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 1/2 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Isn't that a Massachusetts law? I'm in New Hampshire.

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that a long gun would be legal in NH. Now, whether you can find a willing seller (and a mechanism for obtaining ammo) is another matter.

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that a long gun would be legal in NH. Now, whether you can find a willing seller (and a mechanism for obtaining ammo) is another matter.
Yeah, that's going to be my biggest issue. I have the money and I've gone through hunter education, so I hope that's enough for a seller

I've looked all over the internet; I've asked gun people, asked on Reddit, looked on sites about gun laws, and looked over legal documents. Still, I cannot find a decisive answer to my question; is it legal for a private seller to sell a long gun to a minor? Some sources say nobody outside immediate family can transfer a firearm of any kind to a minor, while others say anyone can give a minor a long gun, and immediate family can transfer a hand gun to a minor. I'm 15 and would like to have a Mosin Nagant, but I'm still not completely sure if purchasing one from a private seller is legal. I'm assuming it is, considering laws regarding long guns are more lax, but I really don't want to gamble the freedom of myself and someone else on an assumption. If anyone can give me an accurate answer, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

I think its OK for you to have it IN NH, typically parents buy those first few guns for their kids (or their 18 year old friends do). Even if it gets basically put on ice until someone feels comfortable with you having it, worth getting what you think you want put aside if you can.

However:

Section 130 1/2. Notwithstanding section 130 or any general or special law to the contrary, it shall be lawful to furnish a weapon to a minor for hunting, recreation, instruction and participation in shooting sports while under the supervision of a holder of a valid firearm identification card or license to carry appropriate for the weapon in use; provided, however, that the parent or guardian of the minor granted consent for such activities.

This isn't a mass bullshit question

Yeah, that's going to be my biggest issue. I have the money and I've gone through hunter education, so I hope that's enough for a seller
Another thing to consider--since you won't be able to buy ammunition, I assume you have supportive parents. While straw purchases are illegal, honest gifts are legally OK. Maybe ask for a Mosin for Christmas?

I wouldn't sell anything firearms-related directly to a child, regardless of the laws.
No offense intended, but this is a big reason why people hate the internet in general, and forums like this one in particular.

OP: " I cannot find a decisive answer to my question; is it legal for a private seller to sell a long gun to a minor? "
Response: "I wouldn't sell anything firearms-related directly to a child, regardless of the laws."

Adds nothing to the OP's question, which is asking "What does the law say?" vs "Hey, Random Guy. What would you do here?.

No offense intended, but this is a big reason why people hate the internet in general, and forums like this one in particular.

OP: " I cannot find a decisive answer to my question; is it legal for a private seller to sell a long gun to a minor? "
Response: "I wouldn't sell anything firearms-related directly to a child, regardless of the laws."

Adds nothing to the OP's question, which is asking "What does the law say?" vs "Hey, Random Guy. What would you do here?.
I disagree, some of my favorite threads are one where someone posts, "I must move to MA because of reason [xyz], what are the laws concerning..." and the first 20 replies are "don't move to MA."

Or "I want firearm a or b, those of you who own both, which is better?" And the first five responses are "no experience with either, but I bought firearm Z!"

I disagree, some of my favorite threads are one where someone posts, "I must move to MA because of reason [xyz], what are the laws concerning..." and the first 20 replies are "don't move to MA."

Or "I want firearm a or b, those of you who own both, which is better?" And the first five responses are "no experience with either, but I bought firearm Z!"
Or, "no experience with either, but you don't want those..."

Got a cool parent who will purchase a Mosin and ammo, enabling your “recreation” as needed, and then just transfer it to you at age 18? My dad was all about that kind of stuff. Now my two kids each have two rifles, and they’re 2.5 years and 2 months old.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again assert that I would never take the risk of selling a gun directly to a child. Thank you again for amplifying my voice on this very important topic.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again assert that I would never take the risk of selling a gun directly to a child. Thank you again for amplifying my voice on this very important topic.
I correct my previous post: Please remove "No offense intended."

No one asked for, nor gives a shit about, your opinion "on this very important topic."

I correct my previous post: Please remove "No offense intended."

No one asked for, nor gives a shit about, your opinion "on this very important topic."

Scott - please leave me alone. You're very agitated, and I'm not engaging with you. If you want a Q&A forum without opinions or side commentary, stackexchange is very strict about that. Thank you.

A part of me is hoping they'll see my hunter education certificate and say "yeah i can trust this kid he's not a retard" but i don't know man

I don't know where that 17 year old came up with the AR-15 he used to defend himself with when he was attacked by ANTIFA & Friends, but when the civil lawsuits start, you can bet the farm that the owner or previous owner is going to be named in the suit, and legal or not, right or wrong, they are going to go bankrupt defending themselves.

And by all indications that CHILD was pretty well trained in the use of firearms.

The question is, if you have a parent or parents, or even Grandparents, why don't you approach them to purchase one for you as a gift, which is legal IMHO but IANAL

Back
Top Bottom