• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problem with 10 round 1911 mags

Urj

I bought a couple Chip McCormick 10 round power 10 mags on sale this week. I just got them today and I'm a bit concerned.

They seem to fit fine in my SW1911 PD commander size gun, everything seems to function like the factory mags except:

When I try to release the slide from its rearward position with the mag in the slide won't move. Also the mags don't seem to drop free when the slide is closed like a factory mag will.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What should I do?

Last edited:
I bought a couple Chip McCormick 10 round power 10 mags from Midway on sale this week. I just got them today and I'm a bit concerned.

They seem to fit fine in my SW1911 PD commander size gun, everything seems to function like the factory mags except:

When I try to release the slide from its rearward position with the mag in the slide won't move. Also the mags don't seem to drop free when the slide is closed like a factory mag will.

Has anyone experienced this problem? What should I do?

Yes, you get what you pay for. Mag catch slot is cut so the mag is inserted too far. Others have had the problem with S&W and CMC. Wilson or Tripp are the way to go.

D'oh! For some reason I thought the McCormick's were the "good" mags. Looks like these bad boys are going back!

Thanks guys.

I have used CMC 10-round mags and had great luck with them

Couple of things to check, when you try to drop the slide with the mag in, are you using the slide stop release or slingshot? If the mag is empty, the follower press hard on the slide stop, making in hard to release on a empty mag

If the follower gets pushed forward, the tip with drag on the inside of the frontstrap. This only happens when the mag is empty

I've tried using the slide stop, using a slingshot technique, and a combination of both. None of them work, the slide stop won't move at all. I'd rather not have to fiddle with them to get them working, and I don't want to have to worry that they're going to turn my gun into a brick at an inopportune moment.

Thanks for the ideas though!

The mag spring is new and very strong. you can give it time to break in. If you are dropping the slide on an empty mag, your gun is a brick anyways. If the slide won't drop when there is a round in the mag, then there is an issue

That's a good point, didn't think of it that way. I guess I should take them to the range and run them a few times before I get so drastic!

I believe that CMC uses Metalform bodies which are as good as you can get. Sounds to me like the follower is jamming the slide stop, maybe riding over it. If this is the case another slide stop might cure the problem. I would try the mags in a couple of other pistols.

I have been using Metalform ten rounders for many years with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom