Progressive presses and case trimming

doobie

Banned
I was just wondering what if anything ensures cases are trimmed when using a progressive press?

I'm not sure I follow the question, but -- you do. Trimming is a prep step prior to throwing them on the press. I'm sure I'm missing something on the question though, so sorry in advance.

For $209 you can get an electric trimming die from Dillon. Set up your progressive with a tool head with the trimmer die and you can batch trim a mess of brass.

Just one option but then again, I am only familiar with Dillon equipment.

I'm not sure I follow the question, but -- you do. Trimming is a prep step prior to throwing them on the press. I'm sure I'm missing something on the question though, so sorry in advance.

You (I) usually have to resize/deprime before case-trimming. Therefore if one of the progressive stations was to resize/deprime you would need to take it off then trim....or am I missing something...

Gotcha!

Some people leave the sizer die on the 1st station to poke out any corncob media in the flash hole. I resize/trim then clean lube off all my cases at once or as they come back from being fired. So, I have a big tub of prepped cases ready to load. So, on my 5 station progressive, when loading .223 say, I have nothing in station one. I'm just priming, charging, seating, and then crimping with a Lee FCD at station 5.

Uhhh, I guess I forgot to mention that I use a dedicated single stage press just for decapping/sizing. Using a progressive is a little slow for that use, but it can be done. The only other way I think you could do it, although also a slowdown on a progressive, would be to use a Trim Die on Station Two, which would be used for an expander die for pistol loading, but isn't used for rifle.

Thanks all, I asked the question because I was pondering getting a Gracey or Giraud case trimmer to go along with my current single-stage setup, or if I should look into a progressive. being tight on the money I think the case trimmer is probably a better bet.

Thanks all, I asked the question because I was pondering getting a Gracey or Giraud case trimmer to go along with my current single-stage setup, or if I should look into a progressive. being tight on the money I think the case trimmer is probably a better bet.

What caliber are you reloading? Some cases do not need to be trimmed.

At least you don't have to trim the .40. I bought an RCBS powered case trimmer from Natchez for about $180. I works great; trims, deburrs and chamfers all at the same time.

I have loaded mostly handgun calibers: 357 Mag, 40 S&W/10mm, 45ACP, 9mm. I have never in all my years of loading ever bothered to trim cases for these reloads. My progressive presses, a Lee Pro 1000 and (2) Dillon SDBs run smoothly without this extra step. Accuracy of my reloads in these calibers are more than acceptable out to 25 yds without trimming.

I will be starting to reload 5.56/223 pretty soon and might have to change my ways, but my first batch of reloads will be once-fired cases without trimming. I'll see if positive functioning and accuracy compel me to insert this extra step.

Back
Top Bottom