• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proof of Address at Bass Pro

Snora

NES Member
Let's keep this short and sweet.

1. I ordered a specific Mossberg shotgun that I wanted and today I went to pick up in store at Bass Pro.
2. Side note: I moved about a year ago. My driver's license and MA LTC both show my old address because they are both over a year old.
3. Bass Pro will not give me my gun if I don't have a printed state or federal document with my current address on it that they can upload.

So the questions are: How bullshit is this? and What does everyone else do? What's the quickest way I can get a printed verification that I live here.

A bill or other official correspondence sent to your current address? Who knows whether that’ll satisfy them?

As for what others do about this? Speaking for myself, I just don’t buy guns at Bass Pro.

Last edited:
from ATF website.

These supplemental documents must be issued by a government entity. Documents that will typically meet these requirements include a tax bill, vehicle registration, and voter identification card.

Documents issued by private companies or individuals (rental documents, leases, cable bills, phone bills, credit card bills, bank documents, etc.) may not be used as supplemental identification documents for the purchase or acquisition of a firearm.

I try to ask people for vehicle registration if possible since it is usually the easiest for them to provide.

A bill or other official correspondence sent to your current address? Who kno whether that’ll satisfy them?

As for what others do about this? Speaking for myself, I just don’t buy guns at Bass Pro.
Lesson learned, never going back to Bass Pro. It was a model that I couldn't find anywhere else locally and no one seemed interested in ordering for me.

Bill doesn't work, has to be state or federal. All of the online bill payments, online renewals, etc have completed screwed me.

MA drivers license says to write your new address on the back. That is a legal ID. If they don’t take it, eff them
Shooters Outpost refuses to accept the new written address on the back of the drivers license. They don’t care that it is the official method of updating your address on your ID.

You bought a gun at bass pro. ‘Nuff said. I do not feel your pain.

MA drivers license says to write your new address on the back. That is a legal ID. If they don’t take it, eff them
They told me I needed a sticker. Hand writing won't work. They suggested that I should just renew my driver's license every time I move.

Lesson learned, never going back to Bass Pro. It was a model that I couldn't find anywhere else locally and no one seemed interested in ordering for me.
Next time order online and have it shipped to a store.

This s*cks man. BASS PRO is such a POS store.

FYI ... if you have their card that gives you points, you keep the points when you return stuff.

Pay for the biggest safe, then turn around and say you want to return it when you go pick it up.

Keep the points.

Payback for s*cking as a store.

Shooters Outpost refuses to accept the new written address on the back of the drivers license. They don’t care that it is the official method of updating your address on your ID.
I want to like that place, but every time I start to like them again someone tells me something retarded they are doing.

What is happening over there?

If you fake the new address it will fail when you do the 4473, so the store knows if you are full of sh*t or serious. It is not hard at all.
Unless the 4473 doesn't fail for that.

We literally have to go through a f*cking background check for this sh*t.

2 problems with this whole change of address shit. 1st is MA is so worried about "gunz" and have the strictest laws for gun safety they will tell you. Next breath they tell you to put a piece of tape on you LTC and write the new address. WTF? 2nd is with drivers licenses most people say they didn't change their license address with dmv yet or haven't written anything on it. So we are forced to ask them for some other form of address. It is such a mess and makes no sense.

I'll try this and report back, but I also need a backup document in case they won't accept it.
Guaranteed the new moron working there tomorrow will have some other excuse.

Good luck man.

I would have typed the address on my phone right there and sent it to Staples. Deive to the nearest one, print it and shove it on their face (that is, if I purchased guns there).

Did you order it before you moved?

Why did they not verify the address before they ordered it?

Seems to me it is more logical to do all that address verification before we get the the transfer portion of the transaction.

Best of luck getting it all sorted out.
I've been at this address for almost a year and ordered a week ago. There was almost no verification online outside of some basic "yes I can purchase this." They'll take your money and let the store figure it out.

it sucks for sure. my bet is it's the legal people for the store. they want to make sure the person who ordered it is picking it up. they probably went through some bullshit somewhere down the line so they over react now. i've seen shops refuse a sale before if the address on the ltc doesn't match what was entered on the paperwork. if you own a home, you should have a couple of tax bills already with your current addy. that should appease them.

Do you rent or own if you own property tax bill or maybe an excise tax bill will work.

These should work, but these are issued by the town and not the state or feds, so bass pro dipshits might not accept them either.

I was really considering ordering a rifle through Cabela's, but this bullshit makes me rethink it.

These should work, but these are issued by the town and not the state or feds, so bass pro dipshits might not accept them either.

I was really considering ordering a rifle through Cabela's, but this bullshit makes me rethink it.
An FFL holder can dhine in here but I'm pretty certain the tax bill would be acceptable. When I reapplied for my LTC I brought a copy of several bills property tax,mortagae,water bill to show that was my current address.

Thanks guys. I do have my vote by mail card (going to try that out of curiosity) and I found my excise tax bill so I'm good for when they don't accept the bullshit label I'm about to print and put on the back of my license.

And it sounds like this is just a Bass Pro issue? I can't imagine I'm stuck in gun buying purgatory except by dumb luck I saved a bill from 5 months ago.

Let's keep this short and sweet.

1. I ordered a specific Mossberg shotgun that I wanted and today I went to pick up in store at Bass Pro.
2. Side note: I moved about a year ago. My driver's license and MA LTC both show my old address because they are both over a year old.
3. Bass Pro will not give me my gun if I don't have a printed state or federal document with my current address on it that they can upload.

So the questions are: How bullshit is this? and What does everyone else do? What's the quickest way I can get a printed verification that I live here.
I don’t consider buying any guns at BP. Problem solved.

Why are buyers still not supporting local gun shops? I don’t get it.

Cabela's burned me on a rifle after they offered a sale with a unique SKU, gave me a raincheck, then never restocked it after they kept telling me they were getting more. I bought a shotgun at Dicks before they turned into FUDDs and it was actually a good experience. Had plenty of shitty experiences at the mom and pop shops too so who knows.

Why are buyers still not supporting local gun shops? I don’t get it.
It was a model that I couldn't find anywhere else locally and no one seemed interested in ordering for me.
I tried. And I've tried in the past to get specific guns before there were supply chain issues and plenty of shops had no interest in ordering the model I wanted, just selling me what they had in stock.

Back
Top Bottom