• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proof of Address at Bass Pro

The shop would do an FA-10 and see the updated address in MIRCS right? So if that matches the handwritten address what is the problem?

FYI when I moved I managed to lose my drivers license somewhere in the moving process. So I ordered a replacement online. There is zero verification of the new address, beyond the fact that they mail the newly printed DL there. The letter you send to the FRB to update your address is also not verified before they update it.

I have used that plus an outdated-address LTC for a few years now, no issues, because I’m following the MA process.

What kind of fraud are you protecting against if the addresses don’t line up? If names and pictures and physical description do, you know you have the same guy.

You know, in other states you often don’t even have to show ID at all for FTF transactions. I used to live in not-MA and I’ve been asked “are you a resident of this state? Are you a felon?” And that was the extent of the verification. Another guy didn’t ask any questions other than “do you want it?”. So the MA nervousness feels quite silly sometimes.

Question for you.

If you were selling a firearm FTF and the buyer showed you a DL and CCW permit with a handwritten address on a sticker on the back, would you sell him/her the firearm?

Just curious?

Question for you.

If you were selling a firearm FTF and the buyer showed you a DL and CCW permit with a handwritten address on a sticker on the back, would you sell him/her the firearm?

Just curious?
handwritten address on the back of the LTC means nothing. Hand written address on the back of the DL is a legal document. Flip your drivers license over when you have a chance and read what is at the middle bottom. It says "CHANGE OF ADDRESS. PRINT BELOW. PERMANENT INK." Recording your new address by writing on the back of your DL is the official, approved process from the state.

In a private sale I would never see the DL. All I care about is that when I do the eFA10, MIRCS permits the transaction to proceed. That is the entirety of my obligation and all that I care about.

As a dealer I need two things, government picture ID to prove identity and a government document to prove residency. The LTC when it has the current address meets both of these. When it does not, I fall back on their DL so either a new one with the correct on the front or they have or I make them write it on the back. I have not meet the federal requirements for completing their 4473. MA again just cares that the eFA10 completes successfully.

Let's keep this short and sweet.

1. I ordered a specific Mossberg shotgun that I wanted and today I went to pick up in store at Bass Pro.
2. Side note: I moved about a year ago. My driver's license and MA LTC both show my old address because they are both over a year old.
3. Bass Pro will not give me my gun if I don't have a printed state or federal document with my current address on it that they can upload.

So the questions are: How bullshit is this? and What does everyone else do? What's the quickest way I can get a printed verification that I live here.
You are supposed to notify of a move within 30 days. Did they not send you a new card?

EBEF3DF7-C4AB-4A32-92E6-223414D80DC0.jpeg

handwritten address on the back of the LTC means nothing. Hand written address on the back of the DL is a legal document. Flip your drivers license over when you have a chance and read what is at the middle bottom. It says "CHANGE OF ADDRESS. PRINT BELOW. PERMANENT INK." Recording your new address by writing on the back of your DL is the official, approved process from the state.

In a private sale I would never see the DL. All I care about is that when I do the eFA10, MIRCS permits the transaction to proceed. That is the entirety of my obligation and all that I care about.

As a dealer I need two things, government picture ID to prove identity and a government document to prove residency. The LTC when it has the current address meets both of these. When it does not, I fall back on their DL so either a new one with the correct on the front or they have or I make them write it on the back. I have not meet the federal requirements for completing their 4473. MA again just cares that the eFA10 completes successfully.
What is interesting however is that according to FRB Verification, my RESIDENT LTC is still valid and will show with a NH address (yes, I did the notifications a year ago) until it expires naturally. I also hold a valid NR LTC at the same time.

So if I was willing to risk a Federal felony (I'm NOT), someone in MA could sell me a gun on the Resident LTC and it would clear the eFA-10 process with a NH address. Pretty stupid, but we are talking about MA here and their system just collects data and doesn't vet this type of info, only PP status!

What is interesting however is that according to FRB Verification, my RESIDENT LTC is still valid and will show with a NH address (yes, I did the notifications a year ago) until it expires naturally. I also hold a valid NR LTC at the same time.

So if I was willing to risk a Federal felony (I'm NOT), someone in MA could sell me a gun on the Resident LTC and it would clear the eFA-10 process with a NH address. Pretty stupid, but we are talking about MA here and their system just collects data and doesn't vet this type of info, only PP status!
You are correct that this is a federal felony and would all be on you. I think the seller would be in the clear though it might be dicey for a short time. They did get an in state ID and validate the transaction thereby meeting federal and state requirements.

My youngest still has a valid MA LTC that shows his first NH address when you do a validation. Of course he has moved twice since inside NH so even that address is wrong. But it is a valid LTC according to MA.

1. I ordered a specific Mossberg shotgun that I wanted and today I went to pick up in store at Bass Pro.
2. Side note: I moved about a year ago. My driver's license and MA LTC both show my old address because they are both over a year old.
3. Bass Pro will not give me my gun if I don't have a printed state or federal document with my current address on it that they can upload.

So the questions are: How bullshit is this? and What does everyone else do? What's the quickest way I can get a printed verification that I live here.
Back in a time long, long ago I had the same problem with KTP. Went to my town clerk and she made a notarized letter to give them. Worked.

Yeah, they transferred between shops for free. I ordered it to a Bass Pro that was near the range I was going to that day thinking how can they screw up a shotgun transfer. Decided to have them ship from Bass Pro to Cabela's in a more convenient area for the second trip to pick it up.
You do realize that BP owns Cabela's, right? Same company, so it sounds like each store makes up its own rules.

Back in a time long, long ago I had the same problem with KTP. Went to my town clerk and she made a notarized letter to give them. Worked.
KTP another one.

They asked to see my LTC when my dad was buying a MUSKET. A cap and ball, black powder, muzzleloader from the mid 1800's.

After the dude saw my LTC - because my dad didn't have one - I told him he just participated in a straw purchase because he knew the gun wasn't for me.

The guy wasn't amused. I wasn't either. If my dad was there alone he wouldn't have been able to purchase it.

At least my dad, also aggravated, requested a discount and got something like $80 off. It was a weird number.

You do realize that BP owns Cabela's, right? Same company, so it sounds like each store makes up its own rules.
The pant sh*tting in those places is like ((NES GLOCK THREAD)*(NES AR THREAD))^3

It is seriously bad. Go buy an empty plastic box, they will ask for your LTC. For an empty plastic box.

Let me repeat that, they ask for an LTC when purchasing an EMPTY PLASTIC BOX.

One day I will get a job there only to tell all the customers to buy somewhere else, either GB or the LGS. I will do that until I get fired.

KTP another one.

They asked to see my LTC when my dad was buying a MUSKET. A cap and ball, black powder, muzzleloader from the mid 1800's.

After the dude saw my LTC - because my dad didn't have one - I told him he just participated in a straw purchase because he knew the gun wasn't for me.

The guy wasn't amused. I wasn't either. If my dad was there alone he wouldn't have been able to purchase it.

At least my dad, also aggravated, requested a discount and got something like $80 off. It was a weird number.
That's worse, not even a firearm.

On the firearms portal like for an e fa10 there is a verification of an ltc fid. Its valid for a limited time to prove the ltc fid is valid and not susp revo status. Haven't used it in over a year. I don't remember if it prints the address on that. What a ridiculous store policy as when they access mircs the current address will appear.

On the firearms portal like for an e fa10 there is a verification of an ltc fid. Its valid for a limited time to prove the ltc fid is valid and not susp revo status. Haven't used it in over a year. I don't remember if it prints the address on that. What a ridiculous store policy as when they access mircs the current address will appear.
I asked this question, either earlier in this thread (too lazy to go back) or another.

I was told by a dealer they can't see this info.

I asked something like - why does the address on the license matters, when you enter the address in the 4473? - and I think I was told the address won't stop it from going through.

Or something like that.

That's worse, not even a firearm.
Cabela's had a coffee mug with a handle shaped like a trigger guard and required a MA only Resident FID or LTC to purchase. They denied a NR from buying an EMPTY ammo can. Insanity that you can't make up.

Maybe I'm more careful than others. I understand that if the E-FA-10 goes though it's all legal but if you don't see a DL or CCW with the person's picture on it, how do you know that the person buying it is the one you transfer it to on the E-FA-10?

Maybe I'm more careful than others. I understand that if the E-FA-10 goes though it's all legal but if you don't see a DL or CCW with the person's picture on it, how do you know that the person buying it is the one you transfer it to on the E-FA-10?
What are you talking about? If the FA10 went through, you've seen an LTC with picture.

WTF are you talking about?
Efa 10 has both the buyer and seller information. Go try and miss a digit or try and transfer an AR to someone with only a FID card.

What are you talking about? If the FA10 went through, you've seen an LTC with picture.
If the address doesn't match. If someone moved and they give you the new addy for the transfer but their license has the old addy. As I asked the OP, would you still do the transfer if addresses didn't match.

My point is, if I personally were selling a firearm FTF, I would not sell it if the buyer's DL and CC license didn't match. Nor would I sell it if they told me a new address would be used for the E FA-10. I know a DL is not required but sometimes the pic on a license is obscured, so I always asked for the DL and buyers wouldn't mind at all.
But that's me and I'm glad I'm out of Mass. :D

Last edited:
If the address doesn't match. If someone moved and they give you the new addy for the transfer but their license has the old addy. As I asked the OP, would you still do the transfer if addresses didn't match.

My point is, if I personally were selling a firearm FTF, I would not sell it if the buyer's DL and CC license didn't match. Nor would I sell it if they told me a new address would be used for the E FA-10. I know a DL is not required but sometimes the pic on a license is obscured, so I always asked for the DL and buyers wouldn't mind at all.
Sorry.
Just wow.
You don’t need a carry license here.
Whatever.

Doesn't even matter, the LTC pic are so tiny and quality in some is so bad. Mine was taken with a sh*tty Webcam, looks like there is a shadow over my face from the poor lighting in the tiny room.

I bet anyone, if we put 10 people in a room and 10 LTC on a table and a random person has to guess who is who, the random person will get at least 7 wrong.

Based on this comment and this comment alone, you might fit in better in MA.

Back
Top Bottom