• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Propane Generators

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Does anyone have any experience with propane generators? Any comments pro or con, especially as compared to gas generators?

I bought the Honda EU2000i. At a later time I added a propane/natural gas conversion kit and installed it myself. I'm not the handiest guy in the world... terraformer lent a helping hand.

Bottom line... it works very nicely. I've only used it once to charge a dead battery, but it is very cool to have tri-fuel abilities.

This is a small, portable generator. It is not designed to run the whole house, but it is a secondary generator to my 6500 watt Generac Megaforce. I liked the notion of having a backup that is not based solely on gasoline.

Does anyone have any experience with propane generators? Any comments pro or con, especially as compared to gas generators?

I have an 8000 watt tri-fuel generator that will run my whole (small) house. I hooked it up to my natural gas line. At one point I considered propane, but after some research, I discovered the larger gensets require 100lb tanks, at a minimum, to maintain the correct vaporazation rate, to operate properly. Another thing to consider, if you are running near peak wattage is, NG or propane units will produce less power than a gasoline fired unit. I still won't ever use gasoline in it, what with todays fuel going bad after 3 mos. But, if you must, double up on the stabilizer!

Bill

I have a Siemens 7500kw set up with propane and ATS. We don't suffer at all when the power goes out. There were a few less critical circuits left off but we'd never miss them.

To answer your question...We do not have the option of NG so it was either diesel, gas, or propane. We didn't want a portable nor want to deal with short shelf life of gas. Diesel generators are nice but expensive. Propane was the answer but it does have it's downside. It's expensive. In cold weather you need larger storage tanks for continuous running. If you've never smelled propane exhaust before it may be a big turnoff.

If I had it to do all over again I'd move the genset 25 or 30 ft away from the house instead of minimum code which I think in NH is only 5ft, just to avoid exhaust smell. I would get a 250 Gal? tank and bury it. We presently have two feestanding 125 gal? Sorry not good on tank sizes. We have run continuous for periods of over a week and multiple times during the year and only fill every year or so.

All in all 6 seconds after the power goes out we are lit up and I have no serious complaints.

Great topic because I was in the right place at the right time and picked up a GenPro 6500 very cheap. It's neglected and dirty but only has 5 hours on it. Also it's set up for propane which I know nothing about.
I would like to at least get it fired up for a test run off a 20 lb tank. Can any one send me a link or give me info on what I need for a regulator and hose?

I'd probably call GenPro directly.

GenPro Power Services

P.O. Box 1116

Rapid City, South Dakota 57709-1116

Sales Contact:
Toll Free: 888.861.8984
Ph: 605.341.6160
Fax: 605.341.9791

I have not used one, but the reason I don't have a propane fueled one is that 1) without a couple of big tanks on site I couldn't run one long enough to get me through some of the one week stretches I have been forced to run off the generators, and 2) Gasoline is readily available from many sources in a SHTF/disaster/storm situation, where Propane is not going to be easily had . Anyone can have a generator, it's keeping it fueled that is the hard part. I have 20 gallons of gasoline in cans I rotate at 1 can a month, then if I had to I could drain gasoline from vehicles, where there is easily another 100 gallons on site for me to use.

I have a 2000 watt inverter that will give me 15 amps steady on about 2 gallons a day, and a 5000 watt generator that burns considerably more fuel. I run the inverter most of the time and fire up the generator to run the well pump and to cook.

I think my next big buy might be a 6500 watt inverter, Naults Windham Honda has a couple of low hour ones for 3900 that were demo units, or they have new ones for 4200.

we had a 15kw nat gas/propane unit we used for onsite power at a construction site. Ran great; I would recommend the 100lb tanks...we had three

Just called them and got some tech support. My unit is plumbed for propane but it also has a gas tank. I was told this unit will run on gasoline or propane so all I need to do is put gas in the tank and turn the fuel shut off to on. WIsh me luck.

Back
Top Bottom