Proper handling etiquette when at a firearms store...

So, I've got my LTC in MA, and am ready to start looking for my first handgun, but I have a question first....

When inspecting a gun in store, what are the dos and do nots? Is it okay to dry fire a gun, try out the slide lock/safety, try the mag release, etc? I understand that general safety rules apply, but I don't want to overstep my bounds. What are some generally accepted rules of handling a hand gun with the intent to purchase?

This sounds like a no brainer but I see it all the time. Dont point the gun at customers or the guys behind the counter

Even when you observe the store owner/clerk check that the firearm is unloaded, check and verify it yourself when it's handed to you.

Ask if it's okay to dry fire it (especially if it's a rimfire).

When you check out the trigger pull and sights, point it in a direction free of other customers and store personel.

Don't let the slide slam forward when flipping the release... ease it closed by hand.

Edit to add... ask before stripping it down or ask the clerk to do it for you.

Last edited:
Even when you observe the store owner/clerk check that the firearm is unloaded, check and verify it yourself when it's handed to you.

Ask if it's okay to dry fire it (especially if it's a rimfire).

When you check out the trigger pull and sights, point it in a direction free of other customers and store personel.

Don't let the slide slam forward when flipping the release... ease it closed by hand.

This and welcome to NES.

When you hand it back, lock the slide back if it is a semi, leave the bolt open on a rifle and leave the cylinder swung open if it is a revolver

First, welcoome to the forum.

I always ask for a safe direction before touching any handgun, if its a longarm I'll pick a direction where nobody is standing before checking the action and find a spot way up high if I want to look through a 'scope, check the sights on a rifle or see how a shotgun points for me.

I always ask before dry firing and usually don't dry fire more than once or twice unless I'm really interested in purchasing.

Same goes for field stripping If I'm really interested I'll field strip it in the shop. I ask first. Some shops will allow it, some won't. If you don't know how, don't. It's OK to ask the salesman to show you how, again, some shops will and some won't.

Only way to find out is ask.

thanks for all the quick responses, I really appreciate it. I'm going to Bass Pro just to browse(look), but probably will not handle anything due to the sheer volume of people in the area. I was there yesterday as well, but I have this anxiety and inherent fear of doing something wrong, so perhaps I'll find a smaller shop with less volume of people. Does anyone have a shop reccomendation for southeast MA, that is newbie friendly and willing to answer questions? Or is there anyone with a lot of different types of firearms and a desire to teach? :p

Probably one of the best first posts you could have. What everybody said is perfect. I would research the guns you are interested in as much as possible, even downloading their .pdf manuals if possible.

Out of respect for the shop, ask before you do anything.

Also...watcha think you're gonna get?[smile][popcorn]

Due to Obama's presidency, it's kinda hard finding a shop that isn't packed! Best thing to do is find a local shop of good repute, and get there early.

SE MA would be Acme Armament in Plymouth, Zero Hour Arms in Easton, and "Something" Tactical in one of the Attleboros (like THAT helps!)

thanks for all the quick responses, I really appreciate it. I'm going to Bass Pro just to browse(look), but probably will not handle anything due to the sheer volume of people in the area. I was there yesterday as well, but I have this anxiety and inherent fear of doing something wrong, so perhaps I'll find a smaller shop with less volume of people. Does anyone have a shop reccomendation for southeast MA, that is newbie friendly and willing to answer questions? Or is there anyone with a lot of different types of firearms and a desire to teach? :p

Funny, I'm heading there in about an hour! Something I can say regarding BP - I've had nothing but great experiences there, the guys in the hunting section love it and know their guns. I would go just to learn if nothing else. I see them as being a great newbie option - they have corporate CS standards to adhere to afterall. The local gunshops don't, so they can be as curmudgeonly as they feel like at the moment.

One bit of suggestion, do not say, "Can I put a few rounds through it? Don't worry, I brought my own." Generally frowned upon when delivered in jest. I used to do that with a shop back in CA, we got into the best conversations that way about how the gunowner had planned out his store defense strategy. Even made a few local PD chuckle at his thoroughness. ;)

Due to Obama's presidency, it's kinda hard finding a shop that isn't packed! Best thing to do is find a local shop of good repute, and get there early.

Wait until Palin (and her N. Korean allies) starts stumping, I'll turn into a bona fide collector of large ordinance and protective dogs.

Along with finding a well regarded shop, find several, and shop them. You'll see pretty quickly (I'd surmise) who you want to do business with and whom you do not want to purchase from.

Northeast Trading Co- Attleboro

Welcome to NES, MrJingles. Two other really good shops you might want to check out are C&F Guns and Antique Armory. Both are in Middleboro, both have great owners and very reasonable prices.

Bass Pro has trigger locks on everything. No way to try out most anything. Corporate Policy at work.

BP prices (if not on sale and most "on sale" handguns are non-MA guns) are ridiculously high ($100-150 higher on average than most shops in MA).

For a new shooter, you can't do better than Four Seasons in Woburn. Tell them that you are new and looking for advice. It's not local to you, but worth the trip. Place gets crowded (for good reason), so going on "off times" is better if that is an option available to you.

Welcome to the forum, MrJingles. [wave]

You asked a very good question and you got some excellent answers. As far as shops go, you might want to add Village Sports in Westport to your list of places to check out. They are on Rte. 6. They're a fairly new shop, and don't have a huge selection yet, but they seem very friendly. Check over in the gun shop thread for more info and reviews of various shops.

So, watcha lookin' for? [grin]

Welcome to the forum!

I would buy form one of the shops listed instead of BP just on price alone, but Bp might be a good place to break the ice as far as handling. Even though they are trigger locked, the first step is getting one out of the case and into your hands. Doing so at a shop that doesn't matter may ease your anxiety at a shop when you see something you want.

Bottom line; ask questions and most shop owners will be happy to oblige. They want to sell it to you.

Good Luck

Bass Pro isn't all that far from First Defense in Uxbridge... Dennis and crew are great to work with

Since you stated that you just received your LTC, I assume that you are looking for a carry gun. Take a little time to figure out your carry needs based on your most usual environment, attire and relationships to those around you most.

After much experimentation with various calibers, holsters, clothes, comfort level in my social groups, work, public and home needs, I finally settled on RF pocket carry and a Kel-Tec P32 with the extended magazine.

Since I rarely find myself in a Tombstone, Az. setting I won't be needing a .45 Long Colt revolver. I'm rarely in an urban gang fight setting where a Kimber Target II might be needed to pick off the BG behind the dumpster at 50 yards away. I'm unlikely going to be moving toward a challenging situation that would typically be a police matter, such as a bar fight with lots of buddies around, so I won't be needing that Glock 19 with 15+1 too very often.

No, I carry at work, home, Walmart, and Church, etc., where I don't wear loose clothing or jackets or need to alarm others with a bulging 1911 or a fat double-stack mag printing from inside my waist band. I have a very light printing piece that looks no more sinister than a wallet. It has 10+1 from a mid-powered round that can place a 6" pattern at thirty feet or less in under four seconds from pocket to target. Works for me.

Disclaimer! For those who can wear jackets, loose clothes, and/or walk through the Projects daily - please carry according to your needs. I respect those big caliber/high capacity situations, too!

In other words, figure out your needs for carry and put those factors into your search.

Back on topic, I would suggest finding a range that has rentals and taking 4-5 for a spin. the cost is relatively low compared to selling a piece you don't like 50 rounds after you bought it. (ask me how I know). I am in NH so Manchester Firing line works for me. I don't know what is down there to work for you but I highly recommend it. T

Back
Top Bottom