• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Protecting Barrel from Obstructions in Woods

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Doing some reading about putting electric tape over the muzzle of a hunting gun to keep snow, rain, and other debris out of the barrel. If someone had a gun with a compensator or some other muzzle device, except a suppressor that could be taped, a condom should fit over the muzzle device, right? Then it'd blow off upon firing.

Sort of like this:

1592099524407.png

happy birthday balloons work too, though you can't get 'em for free from the school nurse

Doing some reading about putting electric tape over the muzzle of a hunting gun to keep snow, rain, and other debris out of the barrel. If someone had a gun with a compensator or some other muzzle device, except a suppressor that could be taped, a condom should fit over the muzzle device, right? Then it'd blow off upon firing.

Sort of like this:

View attachment 365064

One of my moms's friends, before she retired, used to be a civilian procurment/buyer for Army 10th Special Forces group, and yes.... she bought rubbers for those guys, for exactly that reason... [rofl]

Back in the day while doing a live fire field exercise in Brecon, Wales, I tripped and fell headfirst into a stream. My L1A1 went to the bottom. I picked it up, poured the water out of the barrel and shot the next pop-up target seconds later. Didn't notice any difference.

Back in the day while doing a live fire field exercise in Brecon, Wales, I tripped and fell headfirst into a stream. My L1A1 went to the bottom. I picked it up, poured the water out of the barrel and shot the next pop-up target seconds later. Didn't notice any difference.

The theory behind covering the muzzle with something comes when dealing with heavy rain, like a week of rain, or snow. Snow could get packed into a bore if the bore's not covered. With snow comes rocks, twigs, etc.

Not applicable here, but if a someone's shooting a muzzleloader, then the need to keep powder dry is more acute.

Covering the gun barrel - Alaska Outdoors Forums

Electrical Tape on Muzzle

The theory behind covering the muzzle with something comes when dealing with heavy rain, like a week of rain, or snow. Snow could get packed into a bore if the bore's not covered. With snow comes rocks, twigs, etc.

Not applicable here, but if a someone's shooting a muzzleloader, then the need to keep powder dry is more acute.

Covering the gun barrel - Alaska Outdoors Forums

Electrical Tape on Muzzle
I can see snow getting packed. But rain?

Rain is not an issue on modern guns.

Muzzle loaders, yes. Anything that can get the powder wet is an issue. You also have to cover the flint lock or the Percussion lock.

An old timer once told me that back in the day they would use wax to seal cap and ball revolvers. I never checked the accuracy if that statement.

I dunno. I just carry the thing in my hands the whole time. Try not to stick it in the mud or wang it off a rock if I can. A strip of tape or a rubber stuck on the end would absolutely ruin the fine classic lines of my gun, and what kind of self respecting deer wants to get shot with an ugly rifle?

I can see snow getting packed. But rain?

Rain is not an issue on modern guns.

Muzzle loaders, yes. Anything that can get the powder wet is an issue. You also have to cover the flint lock or the Percussion lock.

An old timer once told me that back in the day they would use wax to seal cap and ball revolvers. I never checked the accuracy if that statement.
It's my understanding that sealing the chambers in a BP revo is not so much a wet powder issue as it is the one that went off lighting one or all of the rest off, a situation that one should try to avoid if at all possible.

I always used electrical tape on the end of all of my hunting rifles and black powder rifles and never had any issues. If you slip and fall it keeps crap out of the barrel.

They call them Gundoms and sell them on Amazon. I bought some to use last year to try them and it is the first time I ever had some light rust on the end of my barrel when I removed it. Back to electrical tape for me.

Bob

81M-hhx4f5L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B07FLVJ16XView: https://www.amazon.com/Gundom-Latex-Firearm-Barrel-Package/dp/B07FLVJ16X

I have a shottie that has a 21-ish inch barrel, with no front bead. Appraently, a couple owners back, someone was hunting deer, and jammed the muzzle with snow; they didn't notice it until they pulled the trigger. Oops. Time for some customization by the noted gunsmith H. Aksaw.

One of the things that I tell students in Hunter Ed is to bring a take-down cleaning rod, in case they jam the barrel with crud. Of course, I also tell them that muzzle-down carry is less than ideal, most of the time.

I have a shottie that has a 21-ish inch barrel, with no front bead. Appraently, a couple owners back, someone was hunting deer, and jammed the muzzle with snow; they didn't notice it until they pulled the trigger. Oops. Time for some customization by the noted gunsmith H. Aksaw.

Been there, done that^ [laugh]

My first year hunting downeast I ended up with a branch stuck in my barrel. Found it when we returned to camp and I was wiping it down. Would have been ugly if I took a shot. I would use a small diameter red, rubber cap now that fits over the end of the muzzle. Finger condoms work well on muzzle loaders along with a baggie over the hammer and nipple.

Back
Top Bottom